BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
Djg21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 x35i

I've had a problem for couple weeks with iPhone apps that deliver voice notifications or alerts via Bluetooth HFP, and namely with Waze and V1Driver (an app that provides GPS functionality and voice alerts to a Valentine One radar detector). I am using iOS 12.2 beta, which most likely is the culprit. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone else has encountered similar problems and perhaps has found a solution.

Bluetooth calling works fine using HFP. When streaming audio from my iPhone, I hear voice alerts form Waze and V1Driver. When talking on the phone using HFP, I hear notifications. But when I'm listing to Sirius or the radio, and Waze or V1Driver sends an alert, the iPhone connects via BT HFP and interrupts the audio, but I don't hear any voice message. Instead I get silence for a few seconds. The telephone volume is not off, and iPhone notifications are on. I've deleted to BT connection and re-paired a couple of times, bit that hasn't helped.

I'm guessing that Apple changed the BT stack in some fashion and HFP isn't working properly with iDrive and my X5.

Has anyone encountered similar issues? Maybe there is a workaround or fix?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #2
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djg21 View Post
I've had a problem for couple weeks with iPhone apps that deliver voice notifications or alerts via Bluetooth HFP, and namely with Waze and V1Driver (an app that provides GPS functionality and voice alerts to a Valentine One radar detector). I am using iOS 5.2 beta, which most likely is the culprit. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone else has encountered similar problems and perhaps has found a solution.

Bluetooth calling works fine using HFP. When streaming audio from my iPhone, I hear voice alerts form Waze and V1Driver. When talking on the phone using HFP, I hear notifications. But when I'm listing to Sirius or the radio, and Waze or V1Driver sends an alert, the iPhone connects via BT HFP and interrupts the audio, but I don't hear any voice message. Instead I get silence for a few seconds. The telephone volume is not off, and iPhone notifications are on. I've deleted to BT connection and re-paired a couple of times, bit that hasn't helped.

I'm guessing that Apple changed the BT stack in some fashion and HFP isn't working properly with iDrive and my X5.

Thanks.
ios 5.2 beta, really?

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
Djg21
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiljain22 View Post
Quote:
I've had a problem for couple weeks with iPhone apps that deliver voice notifications or alerts via Bluetooth HFP, and namely with Waze and V1Driver (an app that provides GPS functionality and voice alerts to a Valentine One radar detector). I am using iOS 5.2 beta, which most likely is the culprit. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone else has encountered similar problems and perhaps has found a solution.

Thanks.
ios 5.2 beta, really?
Quote:

ios 5.2 beta, really?
12.2 beta 2. Sorry. Confused iPhone with Apple Watch.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Ok so I have seen this happen when USB is connected and call comes on BT. I have the latest iOS and no issues if I don’t connect usb. I also updated the software on the car so that’s another thing to try if it keeps happening.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
I've had a problem for couple weeks with iPhone apps that deliver voice notifications or alerts via Bluetooth HFP, and namely with Waze and V1Driver (an app that provides GPS functionality and voice alerts to a Valentine One radar detector). I am using iOS 12.2 beta, which most likely is the culprit. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone else has encountered similar problems and perhaps has found a solution.

I don't have i stuff, so not the same - but I used the long press on the HFP button a LOT to use Google assistant. When I first got the car I would do it and here the beep telling me to start. Now for some reason I do not. It still works and I just have to guess of sounds like the same thing you are speaking of, but not sure.when to speak, but it is like there is a 3-5 second delay before I can hear the responses after I switch from anything else to HFP. Like you said - when I stream via bluetooth and trigger it - it works fine (because there is no change over).

Kinda

Thanks.

I don't have i stuff, so not the same - but I used the long press on the HFP button a LOT to use Google assistant. When I first got the car I would do it and here the beep telling me to start. Now for some reason I do not. It still works and I just have to guess when to speak, but it is like there is a 3-5 second delay before I can hear the responses after I switch from anything else to HFP. Like you said - when I stream via bluetooth and trigger it - it works fine (because there is no change over).

Kinda sounds like the same thing you are speaking of, but not sure.
      02-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Djg21
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok so I have seen this happen when USB is connected and call comes on BT. I have the latest iOS and no issues if I don't connect usb. I also updated the software on the car so that's another thing to try if it keeps happening.
Quote:
Quote:
Ok so I have seen this happen when USB is connected and call comes on BT. I have the latest iOS and no issues if I don't connect usb. I also updated the software on the car so that's another thing to try if it keeps happening.
I updated to iDrive software a few months back, so I don't imagine that there's newer iDrive software for my car. I'm bringing it in for 50k service next week and will ask if the dealership can check the software. I'm hoping that the issue is iPhone related and that the next beta fixes everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #7
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I updated to iDrive software a few months back, so I don't imagine that there's newer iDrive software for my car. I'm bringing it in for 50k service next week and will ask if the dealership can check the software. I'm hoping that the issue is iPhone related and that the next beta fixes everything.
With the software being beta who knows. Try it on a stable release.
Appreciate 0