EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

12-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

BMW m3 extended warranty and maintenance advice

I purchased a new 2017 M3C this November and since the dealer took delivery of the vehicle in December 2016, the car sat on the lot for almost two years. The inservice date for the car was January 1, 2018, so I have 10 months less warranty on the car. Which i wasn't too concerned about, because I expect to do around 25k km/year, so will probably be pretty close to the factory 80k km warranty by the time the warranty ends.

I've been thinking of getting an extended warranty, but am unsure of it is worth it - the BMW warranty is close to double the cost of my Lexus extended warranty and is for lot less km.

I got an email yesterday from my dealer that BMW currently has a sale on extended warranty and all of them are $500 off if purchased before December 31. Originally i was going to wait at least a year to, to make sure i'm happy with reliability and if i am i'd like to pick the car between 5 to 7 years (it's a purchase and not a lease). If i have anywhere close to the issues i had with my 2008 BMW 335xi, i do not want to own the car long term, but I love driving the car so far and if proves to trouble free, i would like to keep it long term and wouldn't mind the peace of mind of the extended warranty.
The following are the prices quoted (before the $500 discount) based on the mileage i asked about:
We can offer 2 additional years of coverage for $3,945.00 + GST. (or max 120,000kms)
We can offer 2 additional years of coverage for $4,595.00 + GST. (or max 140,000kms)
We can offer 3 additional years of coverage for $4,795.00 + GST. (or max 120,000kms)
We can offer 3 additional years of coverage for $5,390.00 + GST. (or max 140,000kms)

The following is the info about the extended warranty:
A VSC makes unexpected repairs less expensive.
BMW Vehicle Service Contract (VSC) helps protect you from unanticipated expenses. How? By delivering services beyond your factory warranty program, with service plan options for mechanical repairs that include parts and labour. Pay nothing on covered repairs.
BMW New Vehicle Service Contract.
• Optional protection for your new vehicle.
• Available for up to seven (7) years or 200,000 kilometres.
BMW Pre-Owned Vehicle Service Contract.1
• Optional protection for your Pre-Owned vehicle.
• Available for up to four (4) years and up to an additional 80,000 kilometres.
The VSC covers all mechanical parts of your vehicle in the event of a mechanical breakdown, unless they are specifically listed under exclusions in your Contract (i.e., maintenance items such as spark plugs, wiper blades, brake pads and rotors, and tires, as well as items such as trim pieces, upholstery, and body panels).
Covered components include:
Provides exceptional benefits exclusively for BMW Including manual and automatic customers.
Engine, Transmission, Drive Axle
Extra protection. And then some.
transmission, front-wheel drive, and rear-wheel drive.
Steering
Including power steering system components.
Front and Rear Suspension
Including suspension bushings and bearings.
Climate Control
Including air conditioner and heater components.
Hybrid/Electric Components
Including hybrid electric motor, hybrid electric motor clutch, hybrid electric transmission oil pump, electric motor, and seals and gaskets.
Electrical Systems, Fuel Systems
Including sensors, power windows and seats, and fuel injection.
Chassis Hardware
Including hood safety catch and release cables, seat belts, and window regulators.
Seals and Gaskets
Including seals and gaskets for parts and components listed above.
Factory Installed Navigation, Audio and High-tech Components
Including full-colour BMW Head-Up Display, navigation system, and surround sound system.
coverage includes:
1,500+ covered components.
24-hour roadside assistance — with emergency roadside services, such as battery service, fuel or fluid delivery,3 and lock-out assistance,3 for the full term of your contract.
Towing — to the selling Retailer or authorized service provider.
Winching service — if your vehicle requires removal from snow or a ditch.
Transferable — may add to the resale value of your vehicle if you sell your vehicle to a private party or if
a private party assumes your lease agreement.

I'd like to get an idea on what it costs if something goes wrong and what kind of things long-term (that would be covered under warranty) may go wrong and how much it typically costs to maintain, to figure our if it is worth getting the warranty or deal with it when something does go wrong.

I also got a quote on the following extended maintenance plans, (as mine is effectively for 3 years, 2 months or 80k km) that was quoted:
Service Inclusive includes (extends the coverage you already have)
- Engine oil change including oil filter
- Service/replacement of air filter, fuel filter, micro filter, spark plugs
- Service brake fluid
- Service vehicle check
We can offer 1 additional year/or 80,000km whatever comes first of coverage for $380.00 + GST.
We can offer 1 additional year/or 100,000km whatever comes first of coverage for $865.00 + GST.
We can offer 2 additional years/or 120,000km whatever comes first of coverage for $1560.00 + GST.
We can offer 4 additional years/or 160,000km whatever comes first of coverage for $2760.00 + GST

For the services included, is it worth getting the extended maintenance plan??
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

This is an odd question and does not answer your question but does this warranty cover your car in both Canada and US? I believe the 4 year original warranty does.
Appreciate 0