GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

12-04-2018, 01:28 AM   #1
GrayM4
Rep
Drives: BMW

SF Bay Area - help with brake pad swap (monetary compensation)

Any one in SF Bay Area willing to help me with a brake pad swap? I have the tools and reviewed this DIY many times - https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1116901

It's my first time and would appreciate some oversight. Happy to provide some monetary compensation which we can work out over DM. I'm looking to do this one of the weeknights this week. Thanks!
      12-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
herbreal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 IB M3 E90

I wish I can lend a hand. My weeknights are shot this week.

Looks fairly easy to be honest. I would suggest opening the brake reservoir when you push the pistons back down if you don't have the bleeder tool.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

feel free to DM w/ any questions (i don't live far away), but if all your are doing is pads, you'll be fine. I'm not very mechanically inclined, and I was able to swap pads successfully on a 4 piston brembo caliper. a few things to watch out for:

-wear some nitrile or similar gloves, that brake dust will be going everywhere
-it can take some effort/multiple attempts to get all the pistons to retract--i bought a special tool to do that from kragen, but ended up not using it and just using a screw driver and the old pads to push them back in

worst case, if you are feeling really nervous about it, there are a few shops near you that can do it (although kinda pricey)---i usually goto Edge Motorworks in MTV. AutoHQ also in MTV is also good.
      12-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
DLag30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3 & F36

Very easy job, Make sure you have the punch to push out the pins out.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 12:15 AM   #5
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29100-Q...e+pad+spreader this makes the job much easier. Also having a good pin punch helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
GrayM4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbreal View Post
I wish I can lend a hand. My weeknights are shot this week.

Looks fairly easy to be honest. I would suggest opening the brake reservoir when you push the pistons back down if you don't have the bleeder tool.
Many thanks for the reply and tip.
      12-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
GrayM4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
feel free to DM w/ any questions (i don't live far away), but if all your are doing is pads, you'll be fine. I'm not very mechanically inclined, and I was able to swap pads successfully on a 4 piston brembo caliper. a few things to watch out for:

-wear some nitrile or similar gloves, that brake dust will be going everywhere
-it can take some effort/multiple attempts to get all the pistons to retract--i bought a special tool to do that from kragen, but ended up not using it and just using a screw driver and the old pads to push them back in

worst case, if you are feeling really nervous about it, there are a few shops near you that can do it (although kinda pricey)---i usually goto Edge Motorworks in MTV. AutoHQ also in MTV is also good.
Many thanks for offering to answer questions over DM. This does seem straightforward, but just being extra cautious and always good to have a peace of mind with someone who's done it before step in if needed.

I got to a well-known shop (not one of the ones you listed) but it gets tiring paying ~$200 to have them swap pads each time!
      12-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
GrayM4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29100-Q...e+pad+spreader this makes the job much easier. Also having a good pin punch helps.
Thanks! Just ordered.