Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

11-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
TechnoSeanSK
TechGeek / Foodie / BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2019 F83 M4 / 2016 F15 X5

Vgate Wi-Fi / bimmercode timimg out

So I got my vgate today, and it keeps timing out. It'll connect sometimes. Sometimes it makes it almost through connecting to the front end ecu, but mostly it times out. Thoughts? Using an iPhone XS Max.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

you can change the timeout period in the settings. But more than likely this is happening because you're not properly connected to the wifi or Bluetooth. This kept happening for me, then i downloaded the recommended app for vgate, connected it, then connected the bimmercode app and it worked. Fucking odd sequence that didn't seem necessary, but it fixed the issue for me. Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
TechnoSeanSK
TechGeek / Foodie / BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2019 F83 M4 / 2016 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
you can change the timeout period in the settings. But more than likely this is happening because you're not properly connected to the wifi or Bluetooth. This kept happening for me, then i downloaded the recommended app for vgate, connected it, then connected the bimmercode app and it worked. Fucking odd sequence that didn't seem necessary, but it fixed the issue for me. Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
Yeah that is what I stumbled on myself yesterday too. Once I downloaded that auto doctor app it started working well. Seems really odd to me, but whatever! Thanks for replying though!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 03:17 AM   #4
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

I had this on a Bluetooth vgate early on but found putting the phone in flight mode, disabling the Bluetooth in the car and then turning in the ignition and inserting the vgate it would then connect properly. Had to do the flight mode and force enable Bluetooth each time.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Do you have carplay configured? Temporarily disable it on your phone (the auto connect).

Had issues with a wifi vgate as well, reason was carplay hijacking the wlan connection to early.

Meanwhile a switched to a Veepeak BLE. It's faster, no more carplay introduced connection issues and its always on if I just let it plugged it into the car
Appreciate 0