Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

09-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Update: I seemed to have found my issue. Turns out I didn't torque the rear lower shock bolts at the right position. I put the car down fully on its wheels and loosened them and they "popped" into position. I retorqued them with the car on the ground and the car seems to be performing as it should now. It seems like all the software updates and coding works just fine.

———————
Original post:

So I have an early build 2015 M3 that I had updated in May 2016 (I think to something around mid 58.x to 59.x). I immediately felt all the benefits that others have claimed . . . ride, sound, engine response, steering, etc. were all much improved.

Fast forward to present day . . . I have recently installed ZCP struts/shocks along with the MP HAS kit in an effort to get better handling without sacrificing the ride too much. After installing the parts myself, I took the car to the dealer for alignment and another complete firmware update. Plan was then to code in the ZCP EDC controls myself in order to take full advantage of the ZCP hardware I have and get the latest and greatest damper tune possible.

However, I don't feel any difference in the car after having the I-Step updated or after coding in ZCP EDC settings. I suspect that something in this process didn't go well, but I'm not knowledgable enough to know how to diagnose further, and searching endlessly hasn't helped.

On to my questions:

1. In E-Sys (latest version), the shipment I-Step level is something quite recent (F20-18-05-xx I think), which I think should equate to some software level in the mid 60.x's. However, when I check the individual ECU's in question, they all say they are at 59.4. Does this mean that the dealer did not update all the modules for some reason?

2. Coding the GTS Diff and steering is easy and worked the first time I tried a few months ago. EDC seems not as straight froward for some reason. Rather than coding in the individual ICM, DSC, and VDC parameters via FDL (last time I tried that it threw a chassis function error), I created a modified VO that included 7MA, loaded that in E-Sys, and just coded the ICM, DSC and VDC modules.

That seemed to work, as the individual FDL codes seemed to change to the comp pack values found on another thread, but again, I couldn't feel any change in the ride of the car, and overall I'm not happy with the performance. The pitch balance of the car is off, the rear is quite a bit firmer than it was, and the front seems to crash even worse when the wheels drop into potholes than it did with my stock suspension (higher damping in the ZCP shocks should help this by itself).

So, can anyone help me make sense of (1) whether my car is actually fully updated or not and (2) whether the ZCP EDC coding is actually enabled properly?