European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-26-2018, 01:09 AM   #1
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Recommended restaurants in Munich?

I know there's a wealth of experience and knowledge about Europe from all you that have taken part in the ED program and I've seen lots of good posts about where to go during a trip in Europe but I was hoping if some of you could share some places to eat in Germany, especially in Munich. I assume most of the members on this site are not locals but I wanted to try to find places to enjoy good local food that's not "touristy". Can you recommend some good local German cuisine around the Munich train station or downtown area? Where are the cheap eats in Munich?

Thanks

Last edited by Atomicchicken; 07-26-2018 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #2
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Sedan

We liked Brenner

Maximilianstraße 15, 80539 München, Germany

Good food but not exactly cheap. Around $120 for two.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Can't go wrong with Sunday brunch @ Ratskeller and Dinner @ Olympiaturm

https://www.ratskeller.com/angebote-...co-brunch.html

https://www.restaurant181.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
TXSoxFan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

We went to Gasthaus Isarthor for lunch one day. Really good food, reasonable prices and they serve a great beer (second oldest brewery in Munich served directly from wooden kegs). It is a bit of a walk, on the other side of the Marienplatz. Also, the Viktualienmarkt has a bunch of smaller places to grab food, I have been to a couple and both were good.

Augistiner Keller is very close to the train station and good, but a bit more touristy.

http://www.gasthaus-isarthor.de/

Most of the places I went for dinner were on the pricey side, but happy to pass along those recs.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
kumori04
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sedan

Agreed about Augustiner Keller being touristy. I still think it's a nice place to relax and eat, because the atmosphere is fantastic.

A short train ride from Hauptbahnhof is Rosenheimer Platz. Down the strasse you'll find Tap-House, which serves good pub food and a ton of local craft beer!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASoxFan View Post
We went to Gasthaus Isarthor for lunch one day. Really good food, reasonable prices and they serve a great beer (second oldest brewery in Munich served directly from wooden kegs). It is a bit of a walk, on the other side of the Marienplatz. Also, the Viktualienmarkt has a bunch of smaller places to grab food, I have been to a couple and both were good.

Augistiner Keller is very close to the train station and good, but a bit more touristy.

http://www.gasthaus-isarthor.de/

Most of the places I went for dinner were on the pricey side, but happy to pass along those recs.
Thanks for your recommendations!!! This is my first time in Munich so I appreciate all the help I can get. I'm open to all recommendations, could you pass along the places for dinner as well and what dishes you recommend? Let me first apologize for my super limited knowledge on German cuisine....hehe. Only German dishes I know are Bratwurst, Schnitzel and Sauerkraut....sorry.....

Thanks again and hope to get more recommendations!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

http://www.spoeckmeier.com/?lang=en
Just off Marienplatz. Great for traditional Bavarian fare.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #8
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Schnitzel is not German

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #9
TXSoxFan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

We had 3 dinners in Munich this time around.

Ess Zimmer - The Michelin 2* restaurant in the Welt. It was good, but I can't really give this a fair review as we went the first night we arrived and we so jet lagged we had to leave early. It is a LONG meal, and expensive. What I had was very good, but hard to rate the overall experience as whether or not it is worth the cost. I would probably give it another go, just not on arrival day.

Broeding - Bavarian tasting menu. Meal was good, maybe a tad overpriced. I would go back though.

Little London - Traditional steak house. If you are looking for a steak, I would recommend. A little pricey, but good. Lots of alcohol selections (wine and spirts).
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 02:24 AM   #10
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
Schnitzel is not German

Opps.....my bad.....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 02:26 AM   #11
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASoxFan View Post
We had 3 dinners in Munich this time around.

Ess Zimmer - The Michelin 2* restaurant in the Welt. It was good, but I can't really give this a fair review as we went the first night we arrived and we so jet lagged we had to leave early. It is a LONG meal, and expensive. What I had was very good, but hard to rate the overall experience as whether or not it is worth the cost. I would probably give it another go, just not on arrival day.

Broeding - Bavarian tasting menu. Meal was good, maybe a tad overpriced. I would go back though.

Little London - Traditional steak house. If you are looking for a steak, I would recommend. A little pricey, but good. Lots of alcohol selections (wine and spirts).
Thanks again for your recommendations!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:30 PM   #12
nguyelt
United_States
Rep
Drives: Indestructible SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumori04 View Post
Agreed about Augustiner Keller being touristy. I still think it's a nice place to relax and eat, because the atmosphere is fantastic.

A short train ride from Hauptbahnhof is Rosenheimer Platz. Down the strasse you'll find Tap-House, which serves good pub food and a ton of local craft beer!
I thought Augustiner Keller was great. Hofbräuhaus is way more touristy. One of the best things that OP should visit is bakeries. Rischart was incredible compared to what we have in the states.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #13
TXSoxFan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyelt View Post
I thought Augustiner Keller was great. Hofbräuhaus is way more touristy. One of the best things that OP should visit is bakeries. Rischart was incredible compared to what we have in the states.
Agree on Rischart. Also should check out Dallmayr as well. They have a great selection of pastries, coffee, tee, meats, cheeses and other items. Great place to stop and have an afternoon snack/coffee.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 05:56 AM   #14
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
http://www.spoeckmeier.com/?lang=en
Just off Marienplatz. Great for traditional Bavarian fare.
+1! I came here to post this exact place.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #15
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Thank you for the recommendations. I will definitely try and stop by all the places you recommended. I can't wait, going next month for my first ED and trip to Germany!!! Also planning to go to both car and art museums in Munich and Stuttgart. Its going to be an awesome trip!!! The count down has begun!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #16
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
There's two ways to eat at Augustiner Keller, at a reserved table or at a non-reserved bench. (Both of these are outside in the bier garten.) We went early enough in May 2016 that we were able to get a table in the mostly reserved section. It was a late lunch for us and dinner for our friends. People "own" some of the tables in this area, have their name on them, and they are permanently reserved. Don't sit there or you will be told to find another table. We had a great meal with great service and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Last month, we went in the evening and couldn't find a non-reserved table, so we went to the "order at the counter and sit on a picnic bench" area at the back. It was a decidedly different experience, kind of like the difference between first class and coach on a plane. There is no service, the food choices are very limited, and everything is ala carte, including the bread and even butter. i definitely don't recommend this way.

A place that we like and have eaten at a couple of times is Zum Durnbrau, just a few blocks from Marienplatz. It's kind of hidden, not directly on the street, so don't miss the sign which is the only thing you can see from the street. Very quaint and great food.

We also have eaten at Brunnwart, more of a neighborhood restaurant/bier garten. This is within walking distance of the Munich Marriott, where we always stay.

Hofbrauhaus München is huge, and the main hall is really noisy and warm because of everyone packed in there. That's the touristy part. There is an outside atrium, in the center of the building complex, with tables both in the open and under the awnings which ring the atrium. Lots of trees and much more picturesque than the main hall. There are other large banquet rooms with stage shows. You can easily get lost in this place if you start wandering around.

Ratskeller München is very convenient, right in Marienplatz, just steps from the Marienplatz U-Bahn stop. The food there is OK, the service was kind of unfriendly. I'm not absolutely if this is part of the Ratskeller, but there is also a really nice courtyard outside in the back and I would definitely try to get seated there. The architecture of the surrounding buildings is amazing, with a huge stone staircase. We discovered this on our trip last month, we had never seen the backside of the Neues Rathaus. If it's not part of the Ratskeller, walk around the Neues Rathaus to the left and go through the gray archway on the side of the building to get into the courtyard.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 08-15-2018 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #17
kumori04
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sedan

Quote:
See, that's the one thing I regret about my visit to Munich. We were so hopped up on just drinking beer, we didn't even think to try any local bakeries. Next time...
Appreciate 0