EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Taxes and PCD

Did some searching and couldn't get a direct answer to my question and my normal contact is out on vacation but had a question re PCD and taxes from those that have done PCD.

Say I live in Texas where sales tax is 8.25%, and I buy a car from Chicago where tax is 10.25% but I am doing PCD delivery. I am financing not leasing.

Did you have to pay taxes for the location of the dealership, or your location? OR

Did they just charge you the cost of the car and fees and leave it to you to register your car in your home state and pay the taxes yourself?

What do they give you as a tag or temp tag at PCD to drive home?
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Tax is always calc'd by the state and county you reside.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992542.50
      07-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Yeah, I get that. I'm asking a very specific question beyond that. That is, will the dealer charge me my local tax even tho they are out of states because of PCD or will they put that on me to go to the tax assessor office to pay since I'm out of state, or will they charge me their tax and when I go to my assessor here they will credit me for tax already paid.

Obviously I have to pay taxes where I am located that's not my question. It's more about the mechanics for PCD when buying from an out of state dealer.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #4
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I get that. I'm asking a very specific question beyond that. That is, will the dealer charge me my local tax even tho they are out of states because of PCD or will they put that on me to go to the tax assessor office to pay since I'm out of state, or will they charge me their tax and when I go to my assessor here they will credit me for tax already paid.

Obviously I have to pay taxes where I am located that's not my question. It's more about the mechanics for PCD when buying from an out of state dealer.
They will calculate taxes on where you live. I've bought many cars out of state. It always works this way. They will give you temp tag, usually good for 15 days.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #5
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They will calculate taxes on where you live. I've bought many cars out of state. It always works this way. They will give you temp tag, usually good for 15 days.
Got it so PCD will give me the temp tag or the dealer will? I've bought cars from out of state as well but never with the PCD component.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Got it so PCD will give me the temp tag or the dealer will? I've bought cars from out of state as well but never with the PCD component.
I've never done PCD, but I'll bet they function like any dealer. You should be all set. What are you getting?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've never done PCD, but I'll bet they function like any dealer. You should be all set. What are you getting?
Have an allocation on an M2C that I am debating whether or not to pull the trigger on.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
PCD will provide a temp tag. MOst out of state dealers will not collect tax, but they’ll assist you in finding a local tag agency. It will be their responsibility to collect tax.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
PCD will provide a temp tag. MOst out of state dealers will not collect tax, but they'll assist you in finding a local tag agency. It will be their responsibility to collect tax.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #10
Bmwtech113
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
I am doing a PCD this week and my dealer gave me a temp tag to bring with me.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #11
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtech113 View Post
Is your dealer in your same state?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #12
Bmwtech113
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtech113 View Post
Yes. I was told that if the PC provided a temp tag then there was a fee.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #13
Moota
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Ferrari Red M4- 12 M3(Sold)

Quote:
I bought my car in Florida which is where I reside. They provided the temp tag for me which I brought with me for PCD.

This is from a PCD email my CA received:

• Temporary Tag / License Plate – Please be sure that your customer has a tag to place on the vehicle and remembers to bring it with them for delivery. If you are sending a tag directly to the Performance Center to be placed on the customer’s vehicle, please make sure it will arrive at least one day prior to delivery. If your BMW Retail Center is in a state that does not issue temporary tags, please notify us immediately so that we can make arrangements to order a SC temporary tag for your customer. Please note: Due to SC law, we are unable to issue a SC temporary tag to a SC resident and your BMW Retail Center will need to make alternate arrangements with your customer in this situation.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #14
einscot
Banned
Rep
Drives: '17 f80 ZCP, '94 d90, '13 x5d

i live in FL, i bought my car from a dealer in MO, and did PCD. taxes are charged by the selling dealer but at the state you reside in rate (think that's been made clear). i had the dealer in MO send a temp plate to PCD ahead of me getting there so it was ready to go when i got there. it was a MO plate, but i got my FL plates shortly thereafter in the mail.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134947.00
      07-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #15
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by einscot View Post
i live in FL, i bought my car from a dealer in MO, and did PCD. taxes are charged by the selling dealer but at the state you reside in rate (think that's been made clear). i had the dealer in MO send a temp plate to PCD ahead of me getting there so it was ready to go when i got there. it was a MO plate, but i got my FL plates shortly thereafter in the mail.
Great! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #16
wasabi911
Rep
Drives: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica

Quote:
Originally Posted by einscot View Post
When do you actually pay and sign the docs for the car/lease - at the time you place the order, just before you pick up the car or at PCD? If you work with an out of state dealer, how do you sign the paperwork - fedex? Do you take advantage of the bmw financing or lease promo at the date of of order or pick up?

I’m trying to figure out my timing. I want to order the 2020 x5 and also take advantage of the dec sales and financing rates. When should I place my order? Thx
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #17
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi911 View Post
When do you actually pay and sign the docs for the car/lease - at the time you place the order, just before you pick up the car or at PCD? If you work with an out of state dealer, how do you sign the paperwork - fedex? Do you take advantage of the bmw financing or lease promo at the date of of order or pick up?

I’m trying to figure out my timing. I want to order the 2020 x5 and also take advantage of the dec sales and financing rates. When should I place my order? Thx
My CA told me you sign paperwork about 10 days before PCD. I ordered from Steve Thomas BMW in CA and I reside in DE.

How they send it to you, don't know yet. My PCD is screwed due to the stupid airbag recall.

As for the programs for finance/lease, depending on where YOU reside (West Coast-60 days/East Coast-90 days), you can choose whichever month's programs are best leading up to the time you sign for paperwork. You cannot mix and match different promos from different months to get the best combination.

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #18
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

I did PCD in 2016. Jimmy from Steve Thomas Fed Ex's the lease paperwork a couple of weeks ahead of time. I rolled tax in and it was calculated based on my state/county. Then I went to PCD, and they gave me a temp plate. Jimmy contracts with someone in NY to do the registration stuff and the registration came in the mail and I slapped my plate on and good to go. If you bought from a local dealer, they would do the whole new car delivery at the dealership, and then you go to PCD to pick up the car.
Appreciate 0