Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

07-01-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 IR F80

Can I code the turn signal light above the headlight to stay on?

I have an '18 M3 with Executive package/ICON headlights. The lights look great, but they look a bit incomplete without the eye-brow on, the orange strip of light that is above the headlight that comes on with the turn signal. Is there a way to keep that light on all the time, either with coding or with a button, similar to the fog light?

I have to believe that I'm not the only one that thinks the lights look better with the eye-brow on haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think I got it. I changed the "Sidemarkers" setting in BimmerCode to "Active", and it turns on the orange lights. Menacing!
Attached Images

Last edited by Krish_1; 07-01-2018 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
qmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish_1 View Post
I think I got it. I changed the "Sidemarkers" setting in BimmerCode to "Active", and it turns on the orange lights. Menacing!
After coding, do they blink when you hit the turn signals or stay on
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmp View Post
They blink, so no lost functionality.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Crazy Penguin
Banned
Rep
Drives: Jet Black

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmp View Post
They blink, so no lost functionality.
Why would u want to add amber. Yuck
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Penguin View Post
While I would have preferred white over amber, the brow makes the lights look better in my opinion.

For those interested, the foglamp mod button controls both the rear fog lamp as well as the front ambers, so you can shut them off during day time driving. At night, the ambers come on automatically I believe.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
Crazy Penguin
Banned
Rep
Drives: Jet Black

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Penguin View Post
While I would have preferred white over amber, the brow makes the lights look better in my opinion.

For those interested, the foglamp mod button controls both the rear fog lamp as well as the front ambers, so you can shut them off during day time driving. At night, the ambers come on automatically I believe.
Interesting and agreed
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:

Wait so after turning the coding on for teh sidemarkers, the only way to turn the front ambers on is if you also do the fog light switch mod and code the rear fog lights on?
Appreciate 1
Zermatt88.00
      07-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Wait so after turning the coding on for teh sidemarkers, the only way to turn the front ambers on is if you also do the fog light switch mod and code the rear fog lights on?
At night, they turn on automatically, rear foglamp mod not necessary. Day-time ON/OFF is hooked up to the fog light switch. I need to play with a bit more to see if there is a way to keep the front brow light on all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

By at night, you mean when the parking lights/headlights are on? Without having to do the fog lights switch mod/code the rear fog lights on?

Also just for clarity when you say the front day-time on and off are hooked up to the fog light switch, do you mean the rear fog light switch (Bottom) or the front fog light switch (top)?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #11
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
By at night, you mean when the parking lights/headlights are on? Without having to do the fog lights switch mod/code the rear fog lights on?

Also just for clarity when you say the front day-time on and off are hooked up to the fog light switch, do you mean the rear fog light switch (Bottom) or the front fog light switch (top)?
haha, sorry, I see why my previous message was confusing.

When the headlights are on, the sidemarkers/brow lights will be on, no rear foglight mod necessary.

The front day-time on/off are hooked up to the bottom (rear) fog light switch. I think this can be separated, so the front lights are the top button, and the rear lights are the bottom button. I just need to play with a bit more, and will post if I have any luck with it.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
haha, sorry, I see why my previous message was confusing.

When the headlights are on, the sidemarkers/brow lights will be on, no rear foglight mod necessary.

The front day-time on/off are hooked up to the bottom (rear) fog light switch. I think this can be separated, so the front lights are the top button, and the rear lights are the bottom button. I just need to play with a bit more, and will post if I have any luck with it.

Hope this helps!
Helps alot! Thank you. Totally understand now.

I would love to have the brows be the top button and the rear fogs be the lower button. If you figure it out please please please post it here!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #13
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

So I coded this tonight and it works like you said!

But I'm noticing that it's flickering a lot. not completely on and off but it's noticeably flickering... does yours do this? I'd take a vid and post it but I bet that due to being LEDs it wouldn't show up on the camera correctly anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 06:15 AM   #14
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I coded this tonight and it works like you said!

But I'm noticing that it's flickering a lot. not completely on and off but it's noticeably flickering... does yours do this? I'd take a vid and post it but I bet that due to being LEDs it wouldn't show up on the camera correctly anyway.
I just checked, and mine seem to be flickering ever so slightly too. I am taking my car in for 1200 mile service tomorrow, the SA there codes his M3 too, I will ask about it and report back.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #15
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Thanks. I'd love to keep it on but not if I'm going to ultimately hurt the light/cause it to wear prematurely.

Was I thinking maybe it has something to do with the brightness settings on Angel Eyes? Total guess, one might also think that that light should have nothing to do with the eyebrow. Just a thought. I've got a 2000mi road trip coming up so would love to know the input from your SA before I leave on Thursday. Not rushing but if you get an answer I would really appreciate it if you could post it sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:30 PM   #16
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:40 AM   #17
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Showed my SA the flickering lights, he talked to the main mechanic and neither of them could figure out how to stop it from flickering. I am going to reach out to one of the coders on here to see if there is a way to. In the mean time, I haven't turned them off, but if you're concerned about premature wear, it's easy enough to shut them off.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #18
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Yeap i've taken em' off for now. more beacuse its very distracting. I loved how it looked though. Would love to have em' back.

Please keep the group updated
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 05:29 AM   #19
sebi04.04
Rep
Drives: F80 2018

Hello,

i found this older Thread and didn't want to start a new one, so i'll ask my question here:

I got myself a 2018 M3 with German Spec, meaning no Sidemarkers. Like the Starter of this Thread i would like to add the US Spec Sidemarkers to my LED Headlight, because i think it looks way better...

Now, i changed this Values to active it (Will only explain left side):

MAPPING_SIDEMARKER_L_OUTPUT from off to fra_v_l
MAPPING_SIDEMARKER_L_OUTPUT from not_active to active

MAPPING_SIDEMARKER_L_PWM_LEVEL_STANDARD from off to 9V

and got a nice flickering in the Sidemarker

then i tried to code MAPPING_SIDEMARKER_L_PWM_LEVEL_STANDARD from off to 10.2V

and it worked for maybe 2 Minutes. The the Sidemarker went off and the Indicator is not working.
After a restart of the Ignition everthing works fine again and there was a a Fault Code in the FEM Module saying "Kodierung unplausibel" which means "Coding implausibly"

Now my question is: I someone with US Spec willing to Share all original Values regarding the Sidemarker in an LED Headlight so i can code it correctly, without crashing my Sidemarker ?

I took a Screenshot of the Value Block in Esys.

https://ibb.co/bXw62U

Thanks.
Appreciate 0