BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

05-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
jgbedford
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 ///M3

e92 M3 - Individual Audio/TOP-HIFI amplifer - help

I need your help! Does anyone have an individual audio/TOP-HIFI amplifier for a e92 M3 (or alike) that I can plug in to test my system? Amp failed and was repaired, and has stopped working again. Repair service insists it is something else that has failed. I would like to troubleshoot before sending it back. Please message me if you can help? I live in the Toronto area. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Were you getting water into your trunk? It's a common reason why the amp is frying in the E92s. Even if someone has a similar unit it might need to be coded to properly function on your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
jgbedford
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 ///M3

Hi there - I have already had the amp out and sent it off for repair. He said the failure was not related to water damage. There are no signs of water in the inner wheel well where the amp sits. The car generally sits in my garage.

It failed again just a short while after the repair. I'm looking for a way to determine if it is the amp again or if it is some other component. I don't get any of the courtesy gongs, no PDC backup beeps, no radio/Bluetooth audio and no hands free audio. Obviously something I want to get corrected.

I understand a new amp from a different vehicle will need to be coded, but I am looking for a quick plug it in, yup there is sound it's your amp, or plug my amp into somebody else's car and yep, there's no sound so it must be the amp so I have some definitive feedback for the shop that repaired it before I try to return it again.

Does anyone know of any other way to test/troubleshoot the audio equipment to identify the problem?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
Were you getting water into your trunk? It's a common reason why the amp is frying in the E92s. Even if someone has a similar unit it might need to be coded to properly function on your car.
Appreciate 0