proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-24-2018, 11:55 PM   #1
tmn
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

It's a dog eat dog world at New Century BMW (Alhambra, CA)

Man it's a dog eat dog world at New Century (NC)

We committed with NC for a new 2018 M3 and was told it would be sold to us, only to be told a few hours later that somehow there was a mistake and it was sold to someone else. FAIL FAIL FAIL.

Never in my life have I heard of such a mistake. I have had my share of experiences at dealerships and expect it not to be the best thing in the world. But this experience was the WORST, leading me to write a review to WARN others. I can usually deal with a bad experience, but this was on a whole new level for me leaving me with a very bitter taste in my mouth and I am utterly appalled. It was unfathomable to believe that we were getting such a text hours after we had just been told a sold sign was put up and it was ours to pick up.

I currently own a BMW 335 and am loyal to BMW. I live on the southern tip of SD and NC is about a 2.5 hour drive. Last week, after doing some research, I saw that NC had posted a new M3 with the color combo that I’ve been wanting. I called on a Saturday and spoke to Hamlet. I inquired to see if the vehicle was available and expressed my interest in the car. To show that I was serious, I set up an appointment to see the car. Since Hamlet was not working, he told me to ask for Chris. My husband and I drove to NC on Sunday to see it.

Our initial impression wasn’t the most pleasant when we were approached by one of their sales reps, Harry. Upon meeting him, he was aggressive with his questions on where I got my numbers to the point where I felt attacked (mind you, I am a petite, 5’0 girl). He then proceeded and said “if another dealership was giving you better numbers, go to them!” Anyone who has purchased a car and Harry being in the car business should know that clients shop around ALL the time. How RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL. We drove 2.5 hours to visit your business, there's no excuse for that nonsense. I understand if you're having a bad day, but show some class to the couple that spent time to choose YOU to do business with.

Already, I was turned off by NC. But since we were there already, I asked to not work with Harry and to work with Chris. He was busy, but he apologized and was nice - always checked in on us whenever he could. He set us up with Diana for a test drive, who was also nice. After the test drive, I felt better about the whole situation and met with Saied, the sales manager. Saied was very efficient and quick, which I liked. He gave us a quote and we said we would think about it and would remain in touch with Hamlet. Hamlet gave me a follow up call the next day. I told him we were still interested and would keep him updated. My husband and I did everything we could to prepare for the purchase of this car including getting a preapproval for a loan. To prevent any misunderstandings, we had Hamlet email us the confirmed OTD price on Friday before we committed. We called Hamlet on Saturday at 5pm to confirm that the car was still available and that we would like to commit to the purchase. Hamlet said it was and that he would place the sold sign on the car. We even went the extra mile by texting Hamlet again at 6:22pm to confirm. Once again, Hamlet confirmed that the sold sign was up and he would be seeing us tomorrow. As far as we were concerned, there was nothing else to be done. Easy enough, right?!

Apparently not for New Century and company.

We get a text at 9:10pm (keep in mind that they close at 8pm and it’s only been 2.5 hours since) that we should not come the next day because the car was sold. You can imagine our shock and dismay since the car was supposed to be sold to us. In speaking with Hamlet, he mentioned that there was a mix up with another manager that allowed the purchase of the car. I don't understand how that would work if a “sold” sign was already placed on the car. How would the car even be shown to another customer and how could a deal be made if that was the case?! HOW SHADY!! This was no small potatoes. This is an $80k+ car we’re talking about. We were then told that they would follow up with us to sort it out and of course, not surprisingly, there was no follow up call/update, unless it was initiated by us. And once again, unsurprisingly, they just kept stating there was nothing they could do. Really? REALLY? How about you not sell away the car I had been promised and agreed to purchase? Lies and deceit. One way or another, something was done behind our backs and it’s a shame.

I rarely ever post such negative reviews unless something just doesn’t sit right on a moral and ethical level. But from my experience with NC, I sincerely suggest you look elsewhere for your BMW needs, this has legitimately been a nightmare and I wouldn’t want it to happen to you. Think twice about dealing with this disorganized and SHADY business. It is evident that unethical business practice is just how NC does business. Just be careful when you're dealing with NC and don't put too much trust in them, esp if you will be traveling far to work with them. We never asked for them to hold our car, we were TOLD they would. There's a difference in the level of expectation. NC needs to be more upfront with their business modality. If it's first come, first serve - so be it. But don't string people along. The M3 was my dream car, but I guess dreams can turn into nightmares if you’re dealing with NC.
Attached Images

Last edited by tmn; 04-26-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:16 AM   #2
titan7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

That really sucks, Sounds like they found a better deal. Not cool but does happen. Not sure what you are looking for as far as options, but I would hit up Steve Thomas BMW or Crevier, dealt with both multiple times, best pricing by far and great service.
      04-25-2018, 12:20 AM   #3
Hachima
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
2022 BMW X3M  [0.00]
2016 BMW 340Xi  [0.00]
It doesn't sound that bad to me. Two SAs were showing off the same car and both were made offers and they could only accept one. When I was signing the paperwork for my last car I saw two walkins come in and make commitments to buy and sign the paper work right then, so sales can happen fast. Leaving and not committing to 'think about it' would make it reasonable for another SA to accept an offer from someone else that was ready to commit while you were 'thinking' about it.

I'm sure its disappointing but it doesn't sound like a horrible mistake on their part.

Last edited by Hachima; 04-25-2018 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:43 AM   #4
tmn
Rep

@titan7 - thanks for the recs! i'll look into it!

@hachima - it's the principle of it. we committed and wasn't just "thinking" about it anymore. we spoke to our SA and said we were committing and would pick it up. We were told that a sold sign was going to be placed on the car for us and we could pick it up the next day. The text message was to show that we were re-confirming our phone convo earlier with the SA. I wouldn't have been upset if it was sold and I didn't commit to buying it - then that would have been my bad.

Last edited by tmn; 04-25-2018 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 01:18 AM   #5
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

most car dealers are scum. I mean they are never going to let a deal fall through if the other person is sitting on it...if it was an ordered car, this would be another story. there was no misunderstanding. someone came in and prolly payed close to sticker.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 01:27 AM   #6
Mthrice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M3 Tanzanite/Blk, 15 GT3

Next time put down a deposit to hold the car. Just because you said you were going to buy the car, doesn't mean a whole lot. What if you changed your mind? Then the dealer would have missed out on the other guy who was willing to buy the car on the spot. Lesson learned.

2008 M3 BRP 2:08.4 Big Willow 1:37.8 SOW CW 1:29.0 Chuckwalla CW 2:07.4 LS 1:46.7 ACS 2:00.7
2010 GT-R BRP 1:55.3 Big Willow 1:32.0 SOW CCW 1:23.4 Chuckwalla CCW 2:02.5 Chuckwalla CW 2:00.1 LS 1:41.2 ACS 1:50.6
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 02:42 AM   #7
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrice View Post
Next time put down a deposit to hold the car. Just because you said you were going to buy the car, doesn't mean a whole lot. What if you changed your mind? Then the dealer would have missed out on the other guy who was willing to buy the car on the spot. Lesson learned.
Yeah I agree with this.

Sales businesses are all the same, it's not just NC, if they can sell something on the spot/or for higher price, they will, unless you have a deposit (even then it's not completely safe), who knows maybe you will change your mind.

I once walked into a watch store and saw a watch that I have been looking for a while, I quickly negotiated a price and went to the ATM to get the daily max amount of cash I can get and use it as deposit, next day I came back with the remaining cash but it was gone (was given the similar story of how another sales accidentally sold the watch), I have no doubt someone offered a better price.

Last edited by Phatcat; 04-25-2018 at 02:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:46 AM   #8
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrice View Post
100% agree with this. Someone came in after and was ready to sign and drop money on it. All u did was call and text w no deposit. Should have left a deposit of like 1k via credit card. Don’t really blame them bc the next day you could have backed out of the deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:04 AM   #9
Aapparition90
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 lci m3 mw

Garage List
2014 bmw 328i  [0.00]
2012 bmw 328i  [0.00]
Something similiar happened with me on a azurite black m3. I was angry initially but realised i didnt put deposit just words and moved on and found another great deal. I understand the grief but channel it towards a possitive outcome mate you can do it 🤠
I will leave you with a quote from jon snow lol.

"But when enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies. And lies won't help us in this fight."
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:30 AM   #10
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedmyf80 View Post
100% agree with this. Someone came in after and was ready to sign and drop money on it. All u did was call and text w no deposit. Should have left a deposit of like 1k via credit card. Don’t really blame them bc the next day you could have backed out of the deal.
Agree. When I bought my last CPO 911, the dealership wouldn’t even take deposits. The rule was: The first person to sit down, fill out credit app, get approved and sign paperwork was the proud new owner. They didn’t mess around with people saying “hey hold the car.” And i thought it was totally reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #11
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Did OP put a deposit on the car using credit-card to secure the car?
If yes then let that dealer roast else, I can't say it's not common.

Never agrees on price to buy and leave it at that, now dealer has to find someone with $1000 more to sell that car, if they can't there is you already!

Similar experience.
I offered an M6 on used dealer lot on Friday morning after Monday test drive, bad idea, close to weekend. The sales guy countered I said no, well I bet comes Saturday and Sunday (the most foot-traffic as far as sales go) they'll use this line on potential buyers: 'I have a buyer for this car at $XYZ already"

Guess if I got the car or not
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:41 AM   #12
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Did OP put a deposit on the car using credit-card to secure the car?
If yes then let that dealer roast else, I can't say it's not common.

Never agrees on price to buy and leave it at that, now dealer has to find someone with $1000 more to sell that car, if they can't there is you already!

Similar experience.
I offered an M6 on used dealer lot on Friday morning after Monday test drive, bad idea, close to weekend. The sales guy countered I said no, well I bet comes Saturday and Sunday (the most foot-traffic as far as sales go) they'll use this line on potential buyers: 'I have a buyer for this car at $XYZ already"

Guess if I got the car or not
English ?
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #13
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Why would you be so upset if you didn’t put any money down to hold the car? Do you know how many “tire kickers” these dealers see each month? They shouldn’t have told you they put a sold sign on the car but you shouldn’t be so surprised and offended without making anything but a verbal commitment. If they hold cars for people simply based on verbal commitments they’d lose a ton of potential sales. And by the way, not sure what your gender and height has to do with any of this?!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 08:08 AM   #14
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

Sorry but it sounds normal to me. You did not commit after they spent all that time with you. You could have put down a small deposit to hold it and got a signed agreement it was refundable for so many days, etc while you decide. They need to sell cars and whoever comes in and actually signs the paperwork gets it. This happens all the time. If the car is on the lot and you have not signed any agreement for sale, then it is available to be sold. This isn't Walmart with layaway. They probably thought you were just another looker who wasn't going to buy. Or maybe the sales person truly got busy and before he got a chance to put the sold sign on it, it got sold.
Bottom line, if you wanted it, you should have put a few buck down to hold it.
Appreciate 1
drexplode1784.50
      04-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #15
Golfster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: DD: Macan GTS, W/E: 992S

Hard to fault the dealer in this case.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #16
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedmyf80 View Post
English ?
Damn, Google translator fails me again.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #17
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
money and/or signature = commitment.

words don't mean shit.

sucks that happened to you.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #18
tmn
Rep

Yeah. Thanks everyone! Learned it the hard way. Haven’t purchased a car in years. The SA kept asking me to commit throughout the week so the SA could put a “sold” sign on it for me. I didn’t even think to put down a deposit. I knew the car was fair game for everyone while it’s on the lot. If I had known that I needed a deposit, I would have done so too. I guess if I was told upfront that it was first come, first serve, then it would have be different.

I was even worried that the SA would be busy and wouldn’t be able to put the sign up so I texted to check again before they closed. It was only 1.5 hours before closing and he said he already put the sign up and we were to drive up the next morning to get it with our preapproval. I guess I just trusted the SA too much in this case.

My bad for being too naive and too trusting. It’s definitely a cat and mouse game with dealerships. I appreciate all of the feedback and comments, everyone! You live and you learn.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #19
tmn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapparition90 View Post
Something similiar happened with me on a azurite black m3. I was angry initially but realised i didnt put deposit just words and moved on and found another great deal. I understand the grief but channel it towards a possitive outcome mate you can do it 🤠
I will leave you with a quote from jon snow lol.

"But when enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies. And lies won't help us in this fight."
Thanks!! I feel better about it now. I just wanted to get it off my chest. Dealing and working with dealerships is not for the weak. Haha. Great quote btw!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #20
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

What more than likely happened, is the car was sold before he put the sign up. Another SA probably was working with another buyer that your SA was unaware. I'm sure it didn't go over well at the dealership either.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #21
darebornsolja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 [yezy]

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
It sucks to have your heart set on a car but end of the day, you will get a m3 you can be happy with. Best of luck =)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #22
tmn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
Agree. When I bought my last CPO 911, the dealership wouldn’t even take deposits. The rule was: The first person to sit down, fill out credit app, get approved and sign paperwork was the proud new owner. They didn’t mess around with people saying “hey hold the car.” And i thought it was totally reasonable.
Yeah I get that. I guess I felt misled the entire time. I would have been completely okay with it if they were upfront if their business model was first come, first serve like the dealership you went to. I’m not a unreasonable person. I never asked the SA to hold it for me. He kept suggesting that it’s mine and he’ll put the sold sign up for me so I could make arrangements to come up to get it since it is a 2.5 hour drive for me without traffic, when I was ready to commit, so I believed him. I didn’t even think about a deposit and would have completely been okay with it since I was ready. I just basically did what I was told by him, commit - sold sign goes on it - I can come tomorrow to pick it up. Haha oh wells, it is what it is.
Appreciate 0