BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #1
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

KWV3 - Odd sound

I've had an odd sound come from the front drivers side suspension a few times. Doesn't happen every time I drive, but enough that I know it's not a rock or something like that. Seems to happen when there's load on the spring (during a sharp turn or a speed bump) and it's a fairly loud pop/pingin sound, almost like a hammer hitting the spring as I can hear vibration for a split second.

Anyone else ever experience this? If you have youll know what im talking about, its a distinct sound. It's still too cold here to pop off the wheel and investigate for another few days.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Are you super low? When I installed my coils (different brand) I was tucking my 275/35 r888r tires and over bumps/turning it would rub super hard. Sounded like a metallic sound but it was just the fender liner and the inner lip of the fender. Got pics?
      04-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yidgyi View Post
Are you super low? When I installed my coils (different brand) I was tucking my 275/35 r888r tires and over bumps/turning it would rub super hard. Sounded like a metallic sound but it was just the fender liner and the inner lip of the fender. Got pics?
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm low but I've been low for years so i dont think thats it. Im going to pop the wheel off tomorrow and inspect, hopefully it's that simple!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
MShift
OG
Rep
Drives: MW '13 E92

Hey, try tightening the nut at the top of the strut a bit more. Its a very common issue for coilovers to make noise when that nut isn't fully tightened. When I had my KW CS installed it was making a similar noise in turns and sometimes on braking, tightened it and solved the issue completely.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MShift View Post
Hey, try tightening the nut at the top of the strut a bit more. Its a very common issue for coilovers to make noise when that nut isn't fully tightened. When I had my KW CS installed it was making a similar noise in turns and sometimes on braking, tightened it and solved the issue completely.
Awesome, thanks. I took the wheel off today and there was nothing out of place so that's a good place to look next.
Appreciate 0