GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

03-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 MW/CSC/6MT/18s

Any other cars on Independence II?

AIS has her at Southampton for 48 hours it looks like.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...EPENDENCE%20II

03-26-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M3 [MW|CB]

Garage List

Yes sir! My Mineral White/Cohiba Brown F80 ZCP is there with yours It's still in Southampton as of 10 minutes ago. I have the FleetMon free trial going too so I can give updates as it ventures into open water.

///Mike

"It's a yobbo, yobbo, yobbo... But we like that in an M3 don't we?"
-Chris Harris

Last edited by ///Mikey F80; 03-26-2018 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
DDR MFS105.50
      03-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Independence II left Southhampton at 10:23am EST today en route to Baltimore!

I’ll give periodic updates as it gets to open ocean!

///Mike
Appreciate 1
DDR MFS105.50
      03-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

She is haze gray and underway. Looking at calling to Baltimore on either 05 or 07 APR. Are you East Coast? West Coast? Neither? I checked the ARC scheduling and the ops manager has it listed for 07, but the AIS tracking information has 05 (not sure if this is a manual input or based on configured course and speed). You can either slave AIS to the navigation gear or leave it as independent.

Okay nerded that out. Former Navy so forgive me.

UPDATE: 12.1 KTS in Channel, but too lazy to do a C/S problem to see if 05 or 07 is correct :/

Last edited by DDR MFS; 03-27-2018 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #5
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

She's increased speed to 15 KTS. Time is money...

And tire smoking fun...
      03-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #6
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR MFS View Post
She is haze gray and underway. Looking at calling to Baltimore on either 05 or 07 APR. Are you East Coast? West Coast? Neither? I checked the ARC scheduling and the ops manager has it listed for 07, but the AIS tracking information has 05 (not sure if this is a manual input or based on configured course and speed). You can either slave AIS to the navigation gear or leave it as independent.

Okay nerded that out. Former Navy so forgive me.

UPDATE: 12.1 KTS in Channel, but too lazy to do a C/S problem to see if 05 or 07 is correct :/
Quote:
She's increased speed to 15 KTS. Time is money...

And tire smoking fun...
Haha so I'm in the Midwest, specifically Northern Indiana/Southern Michigan but the dealer local to me sucks, so I ordered and will be picking up from Zach @ Dreyer & Reinbold in Indianapolis. Y'all out in the East are lucky, you seemingly have an abundance of decent and good dealerships in a reasonable vicinity. Where I'm at, our local dealer (whom my family and I have purchased $250k+ worth of vehicles from in the last 5 years alone) wasn't interested in "wasting" (yes that's the exact word the sales manager used ) their remaining M3 allocation on a customer ordered car. Which is unfortunate because my salesman there has gone above and beyond their for me and my family in the past. Being the great friend he is though, he literally told to go somewhere because his hands were tied. The rest of the dealers are at a minimum of an hour way, and if you go west you get that lovely Chicago sales tax So I chose to order from Dreyer & Reinbold (2.5 hours away), where I bought my MINI Cooper S in 2005.

Haha time is definitely money... I was going to post a question regarding the ETA as well. I noticed AIS via both FleetMon and MarineTraffic have it listed as the 5th, but ARC and W&W (not sure why it's on W&W's website since it's an ARC vessel ) have it listed for the 7th. I've got my fingers crossed that the 5th is the right ETA, because I'm trying to hopefully pick it up the weekend of the 14th and those couple days would make a big difference since I'm getting 30% tint and a couple M Performance goodies installed at the dealer before delivery... We'll see I guess.

From your other thread it sounds like you're going to be taking delivery before me though Few things have gotten me this excited (and obsessed) before. Thank you so much for your service to this country too by the way! Before I finished school I worked for a company managing logistics for incoming and outgoing products locally, nationally, and internationally, so this area is also a little bit familiar to me too, albeit from a different angle

Cross those fingers and toes for the fifth!

///Mike

-Chris Harris

Last edited by ///Mikey F80; 03-28-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
DDR MFS105.50
      03-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the compliments man!

Yeh, the shipping industry fascinates me. Also, I think WW contracts ARC RoRos hence the dual listing on their operations schedules. Sort of what all the major ocean freight companies do, although they don't rebrand the actual vessels. The AIS updated to 06APR which leads me to believe that it is manual inputs on the bridge. Not that it matters but it is fun to nerd out over

That totally blows regarding you dealership situation, and I don't get how you waste an allocation on someone who is ready to go with money and wants a custom car. DC there are a ton of M3s new on lots, but they are all ridiculously specc'd. I went to two dealers to test drive both the F80 and F87 (I was considering the M2 as my other option), and they tried to ram these cars down my throat. Went to Passport BMW, did everything over e-mail, got the deal I wanted and that was that.

There is a good article about how messed up the American car market is with dealers stocking surplus on the lots for walk-ins to buy. I forget where the article was posted, but essentially only 15-20% of cars in Europe are sold as dealer configurations, whereas in the US it is 80-85%. It kills the market. I'll try to track it down and repost here.

Hoping to a speedy trans-Atlantic. I will say hi to yours when I see mine

Last edited by DDR MFS; 03-30-2018 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

LOL! She's already off the coast of Baltimore!

Ireland...

Wop wop.
      03-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

We are 24hrs with no posit data. Still 07APR port call in Baltimore based on ops schedule on ARC website.

PUSH 15KTS baby!
      03-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #10
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments man!

Yeh, the shipping industry fascinates me. Also, I think WW contracts ARC RoRos hence the dual listing on their operations schedules. Sort of what all the major ocean freight companies do, although they don't rebrand the actual vessels. The AIS updated to 06APR which leads me to believe that it is manual inputs on the bridge. Not that it matters but it is fun to nerd out over

That totally blows regarding you dealership situation, and I don't get how you waste an allocation on someone who is ready to go with money and wants a custom car. DC there are a ton of M3s new on lots, but they are all ridiculously specc'd. I went to two dealers to test drive both the F80 and F87 (I was considering the M2 as my other option), and they tried to ram these cars down my throat. Went to Passport BMW, did everything over e-mail, got the deal I wanted and that was that.

There is a good article about how messed up the American car market is with dealers stocking surplus on the lots for walk-ins to buy. I forget where the article was posted, but essentially only 15-20% of cars in Europe are sold as dealer configurations, whereas in the US it is 80-85%. It kills the market. I'll try to track it down and repost here.

Hoping to a speedy trans-Atlantic. I will say hi to yours when I see mine
Yeah, honestly knowing the dealer and their attitude since they have had a new Sales Manager, it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to order an M3 and have it on the floor so they can try to hit a home-run when some poor SOB tries to come in and get an M3 after F80 production ends or there are no more allocations. To get my business they would have had to offer a returning customer/loyalty bonus and/or some other incentives as well (which they have done on the last vehicles purchased from them), and they said they couldn't do anything less than sticker. Meanwhile, Dreyer & Reinbold happily offered such an incentive and more, even though I haven't purchased a car from them since 2005. After I said to the Sales Manager at my local dealer that I would more than likely be going somewhere else because of the lack of price negotiation, he said "That's OK because we would rather not waste any of our last allocations on a customer ordered car". I could barely believe that he would admit that openly, especially to someone who himself and whose family has purchased multiple BMWs from them since 2010. With my friend who's been our salesman for all our vehicles retiring, we will no longer be buying cars from there unless they come up with a way to deserve our business.

But anyway, the Independence II is in the Mid-North Atlantic and seemingly making good progress! It says the 7th for me on FleetMon (haven't checked MarineTraffic), but I'm still hoping it gets there early! We'll see!

///Mike

-Chris Harris

Last edited by ///Mikey F80; 03-31-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
We are 24hrs with no posit data. Still 07APR port call in Baltimore based on ops schedule on ARC website.

PUSH 15KTS baby!
Position as of an hour ago :
Attached Images

-Chris Harris
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 01:28 PM   #12
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Position received as of about 2:50pm EST, pushing 15 knots! Hope you're having a great weekend! We're getting closer! :
Attached Images

-Chris Harris

Last edited by ///Mikey F80; 03-31-2018 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #13
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Another thing I noticed is that the Estimated Time of Arrival is 00:00 UTC on the 7th, which, in Eastern Standard Time is 8pm on the 6th. Hopefully that's accurate, and hopefully it gets there even sooner! Fingers crossed!

///Mike

-Chris Harris
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Happy Easter! She's making some good progress, although as of about 10:35am EST she's only pushing 10.2 knots. Maybe she's slowing down because she's entering the general area of icebergs and/or other Early-Spring North Atlantic difficulties? Have a wonderful day!
Attached Images

-Chris Harris

Last edited by ///Mikey F80; 04-01-2018 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
DDR MFS105.50
      04-01-2018, 10:17 PM   #15
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mikey F80 View Post
Happy Easter! She's making some good progress, although as of about 10:35am EST she's only pushing 10.2 knots. Maybe she's slowing down because she's entering the general area of icebergs and/or other Early-Spring North Atlantic difficulties? Have a wonderful day!
Mikey

Thanks for the updates! Looking good. Yeh, was away from electronics as I was spending time with spouse's family in NYC, and this was great to see checking in on the drive back while pit-stopped for fuel!!!

The slowdown is probably attributed to weather; you have to adjust for best speed to account for sea state depending on wind, etc. Good stuff none-the-less.

Saw your comment on time! Yeh, she could offload that evening if port ops has a slip for her. Any minute not moving, loading, or unloading is money lost so the sooner they get in and drop that ramp and get cars/equipment off, the better everyone is! Will eagerly check tomorrow!

Have to unwind which means a drink and some Top Gear! Check in with you tomorrow and hope you had a good weekend/holiday! Getting there bro!
      04-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #16
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mikey

Thanks for the updates! Looking good. Yeh, was away from electronics as I was spending time with spouse's family in NYC, and this was great to see checking in on the drive back while pit-stopped for fuel!!!

The slowdown is probably attributed to weather; you have to adjust for best speed to account for sea state depending on wind, etc. Good stuff none-the-less.

Saw your comment on time! Yeh, she could offload that evening if port ops has a slip for her. Any minute not moving, loading, or unloading is money lost so the sooner they get in and drop that ramp and get cars/equipment off, the better everyone is! Will eagerly check tomorrow!

Have to unwind which means a drink and some Top Gear! Check in with you tomorrow and hope you had a good weekend/holiday! Getting there bro!
Haha no problem man, and thanks for the insight! I figured it had to do with weather/the ocean, and I also know that there can be some decent ice flows in that area this time of year. Whatever it was though it seems to have passed because this was her position as of roughly 7:40pm EST, and she's back to pushing 16.2 knots! :
Attached Images

-Chris Harris

Last edited by ///Mikey F80; 04-10-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
DDR MFS105.50
      04-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #17
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

F---ing love it. Keep it coming. My posits are all still SAT posits so you have the real intel going.

I hope for a 06APR along-side meeting at the pier...
      04-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #18
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
F---ing love it. Keep it coming. My posits are all still SAT posits so you have the real intel going.

I hope for a 06APR along-side meeting at the pier...
Haha sure thing man! And me too! Just a few more days my friend till we're in the driver's seat of these glorious machines!

This is the position as of 3:52pm! She was pushing 16.5 knots earlier this morning but it's back down to only 15.4 knots now They need to light the afterburners, I'm getting impatient. Wait... Wrong type of vehicle lol
Attached Images

-Chris Harris
Appreciate 1
DDR MFS105.50
      04-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #19
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mikey F80 View Post
Haha sure thing man! And me too! Just a few more days my friend till we're in the driver's seat of these glorious machines!

This is the position as of 3:52pm! She was pushing 16.5 knots earlier this morning but it's back down to only 15.4 knots now They need to light the afterburners, I'm getting impatient. Wait... Wrong type of vehicle lol
Lol, as far as I am concerned the damn thing has afterburners

Looking good. Spoke with my CA and she was saying to expect a mid-week delivery next week; guess the cars clear relatively quickly at Baltimore. I have made arrangements to get it wrapped in XPEL/Suntek too, and then it is time for the break in!

Hoping you get a speedy delivery too. This is getting nuts!
      04-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #20
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lol, as far as I am concerned the damn thing has afterburners

Looking good. Spoke with my CA and she was saying to expect a mid-week delivery next week; guess the cars clear relatively quickly at Baltimore. I have made arrangements to get it wrapped in XPEL/Suntek too, and then it is time for the break in!

Hoping you get a speedy delivery too. This is getting nuts!
Haha is 15 or 16 knots fast for a ship like that? I'm kind of ignorant of what sort of speeds they're capable of. Late last night I checked MarineTraffic and she was pushing 17.1 knots

That's awesome! I'm desperately hoping to take delivery on Saturday the 14th. However my dealer is significantly further from port than yours is... And I'm getting 30% Ceramic Tint and the ///M Performance Carbon Fiber Diffuser and Spoiler installed by the dealer. I dunno, it will be close, so the earlier it clears the Port/VPC the better. That was literally the only trade-off of ordering from a dealer 2 1/2 hours away from me, weekends are really the only time I could take delivery of the car... Unless I can rearrange some client appointments to sneak out of the office early to skate down there one afternoon/evening during the week sometime... But the markets aren't exactly helping that cause right now Hopefully by this weekend or early next week my CA will give me an idea of when they'll have the car and how long they'll need to get it prepped, and I can plan accordingly. It would really bother me if they got it done on Monday and I would have to wait till Saturday to go get it. That would be the longest week of my life! haha I think our break-in times will go by fast though... If you're at all like me, you'll look for and find any excuse to drive it.

So here's the position as of 11:35am today... For whatever reason the FleetMon site (what I've been posting screenshots from up until now) hasn't updated their AIS since yesterday evening, but MarineTraffic's AIS is more or less within 10 minutes or so It's so close I can practically smell that unique new BMW scent
Attached Images

-Chris Harris

Last edited by ///Mikey F80; 04-04-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
DDR MFS105.50
      04-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #21
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeh so for RoRos, the most efficient speed depending on sea states is between 13 and 16 KTS so it seems like they are making the most of that sweet diesel But seriously though, they generate a ton of power and can really push it. You want to stay away as law of gross tonnage generally applies Nice to see her pushing!

God damn man, that wait is awful but anything for the right car! I am having the kidneys, black M badge, and rear CF spoiler done but shouldn't take too long. I am going to add the diffuser down the road.
      04-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #22
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

H. U. R. R. Y.