BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
evoXtoM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black Coupe E92 M3

Picked up an 08 AA stage 2 SC e92 m3 and have some questions!

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2008 e92 with 36k miles that came with AA stage 2 blower kit " old HKS blower" and their meth kit. I got the car for an insane deal as it got traded into a dealer I do work for and they didn't want the liability of the car with the supercharger and or meth kit.

So lucky me so far! the car seems to run and drive fine for normal cruising. no codes, or anything.

What seems a bit odd for the meth injection is that the LED flashes upon startup, but during the couple pulls I have done, it doesn't seem to flash, or get brighter as per AA / AEM's Instructions. But Active was awesome to deal with as per sending me the instructions / fail safes / maintenance to see if its working properly so will run the tests and go from there.

A couple questions I do have though, the car came with a completely stock exhaust, and I asked AA if I threw an X-pipe on the car, would it mess with the tune. I'm not certain who I was talking to but at first he felt hesitant answering the question and then said well the car should be tuned now for an X-pipe and will pick up a good bit of power which leads me to assume the exhaust might of been swapped when traded in. No big deal, just wanting other opinions as I don't want to throw an X-pipe on the car and it hurt anything. Ive heard the DME targets the AFR's and that it will adapt around it. So more so just looking for clarification.

Also looking for any advice on maintenance needed besides Rod bearings? Ive owned a DCT 2008 M3 3 ish years ago and knew rod bearings were a huge issue and still seem to be haha... I'm going to change the supercharger belt, and send off an oil analysis and see about rod bearings as well. Anything else you'd guys recommend?

ALso, I can't tell if the car is pulling as it should and don't really have any way of monitoring the AFR's and or boost... What does everyone recommend as far as gauges? P3 I'm assuming? Awron seems a bit steep at $1200...

I will say everything feels slow anymore as I have a 1000hp 2600lb mustang that I race, but its not to street friendly and like I said before, the deal I got on this car was too good to pass up and I loved my old E92 so it was a win win haha..

Thanks for any advice or help! It would be greatly Appreciated. I have a local shop who I also do work for, and will be throwing it on their dyno and seeing how its reacting, but they are completely slammed at the moment and wont get around to it for a decent while.

I did end up weighing the car, and it weighed in just at 3660lbs without me in it. 2008 e92, 6spd, nav, EDC, Carbon roof, little over half tank of fuel, Everything stock except meth, AA SC, and carbon lip. and that wasn't too shabby I was expecting more!

Name:  m3 1.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  353.5 KB

Name:  M3 sc.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  404.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CP

Wow nice pickup!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 06:14 AM   #3
thetastelingers
Master Baiter
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 SOLD  [10.00]
2018 BMW M2  [9.67]
Which meth controller is in the car?
I have the same set-up and mine has the snow meth/boost gauge. I downloaded the manual online for the system to learn about it.
When you change your belt, check the idler pulleys. I had to replace a couple of mine.
Also, replacing the belt is a HUGE PITA, so have a good bit of time set aside for that.

Nice looking car. Congratulations on the purchase.

FYI, if you get an infraction in the off-topic section, you can never visit that section again.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
evoXtoM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8500RPM View Post
Wow nice pickup!
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
evoXtoM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetastelingers View Post
Which meth controller is in the car?
I have the same set-up and mine has the snow meth/boost gauge. I downloaded the manual online for the system to learn about it.
When you change your belt, check the idler pulleys. I had to replace a couple of mine.
Also, replacing the belt is a HUGE PITA, so have a good bit of time set aside for that.

Nice looking car. Congratulations on the purchase.
AA aem meth kit. If there’s a specific controller, I honestly haven’t found it yet. I know the switch is in the engine bay, that runs Into the dme box for the Hobbs switch / actives block. I do see on aems instructions there should be a controller as well though? Unless that’s for different models.

Not a problem on the belt, I’ll probably just pull the front end off. I’ve gotten so used to parting out 335’s that I’m sure it’s some what similar!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:16 AM   #6
Tylenol Jones
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

If AA did the tune, they should have a record of the VIN in their system to let you know if/what kind of x pipe was on it previously. I can't imagine someone who is willing to pay for a high end supercharger isn't also running an x pipe or at least test pipes on the car. Probably figured it would be safer/easier to sell with a 50-state-legal exhaust system back on it.
      03-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol Jones View Post
I can't imagine someone who is willing to pay for a high end supercharger isn't also running an x pipe or at least test pipes on the car.
Plenty of people run high end superchargers with stock xpipe if they need it to pass emissions. Money isn't the issue.
      03-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
evoXtoM3
Private First Class
Rep

Active is waiting to hear from me and just have to send them the blower number and they said the should have details on the setup! Kit is said to be from 2011 engraved on one of their logos. I know it’s their old hks blower. Wish it was the Rotrex 😇
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoXtoM3 View Post
Active is waiting to hear from me and just have to send them the blower number and they said the should have details on the setup! Kit is said to be from 2011 engraved on one of their logos. I know it’s their old hks blower. Wish it was the Rotrex 😇
Maybe you can work with them to get an update/upgrade to the Rotrex?
      03-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
evoXtoM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Maybe you can work with them to get an update/upgrade to the Rotrex?
They quoted me over the phone roughly $4000 to make the switch over. Which honestly isn't too bad, but not needed for my situation as an extra 50-80whp isn't really worth it to me.

this is my slow car but just a fun everyday cruiser and maybe take it to a couple track days for road course. I miss turns lol. My other car is pretty much a straight 1/4 mile car. It can be driven on the street just not very fun or enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #11
Tylenol Jones
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Plenty of people run high end superchargers with stock xpipe if they need it to pass emissions. Money isn't the issue.

Fair enough. I shouldn't assume. OP and I are both in western PA and if it was a PA car, it's only a visual 'tampering' inspection and some counties don't even require that. I forget others have to worry about it, honestly.