BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-20-2018, 12:59 AM   #1
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Damage Disclosure: Front Bumper. Would you?

I went to look at a F80 at BMW dealership. All postings on the web mention nothing about an accident and Carfax is clean, one owner and car is from the same area no transfer from east coast or where ever.

Upon seeing the vehicle, a piece of paper is on the rear that says Damage disclosure and area is Front Bumper. That's as in depth as it gets.

Made a phone call to the manager whose number was on it and tried to get to the bottom of it. He says they replaced the bumper opposed to repaint as its most likely a dent. I would assume owner may have hit a curb stop at a parking lot.

Question to you guys is, forget about and move on? or should I pursue if its something I've been eyeing.

Thanks for reading
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #2
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

How does it look? And is the price right? And kudos to the the dealer for owning up to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Do you have access to a paint meter? Or can you tell frame damage?

I would take a paint meter to the panels on the car and see if they register normal other than the front bumper. If it appears only the front bumper was replaced, you could try to negotiate a good deal. If the paint work has spread to other panels, I would move on.
      03-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
How does it look? And is the price right? And kudos to the the dealer for owning up to it.

I would take a paint meter to the panels on the car and see if they register normal other than the front bumper. If it appears only the front bumper was replaced, you could try to negotiate a good deal. If the paint work has spread to other panels, I would move on.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Looks tip top.. to me. Front should have more rock chips than anywhere else but its seems to be quite minimal so you can tell it was replaced if you were to compare the rest of the car.

I don't have a paint meter unfortunately.

It's a 16' Manual, 28K, cloth seat no executive package . I kind of want the executive but I am particular about Yas + manual which is somewhat hard to come by in my area and could probably live without it.

Price is at 49,900 and this was dropped gradually from 54,900

Let me know what you guys think.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

With all of the options out there, why bother with a car you may always have questions about?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
With all of the options out there, why bother with a car you may always have questions about?
I think he pointed out that he does not have a lot of options in his area.

and seeing that is is Calif, now I understand why the dealer has a damage disclosure
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
True in the point I could wait... but I should have mentioned. Im not looking to buy out of state and ship.

Color and transmission are the main factors and not much too pick from within a 50-100 mile radius
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
If you plan on holding this car long-term then I would wait for one with an Executive package. I know you can request cars to be shipped from other Carmax dealers so as soon as you see the specs you want put a hold on it.

If you plan on holding short term then I would still say no because you would have to disclose the bumper to a future buyer. That alone deters many people from buying. It is also probably why the price has been reduced.

Just my .02 cents. It’s a great car though! As long as you are happy then that’s all that matters.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post

Looks tip top.. to me. Front should have more rock chips than anywhere else but its seems to be quite minimal so you can tell it was replaced if you were to compare the rest of the car.

It's a 16' Manual, 28K, cloth seat no executive package . I kind of want the executive but I am particular about Yas + manual which is somewhat hard to come by in my area and could probably live without it.

You should try bargaining to 45K in absence of exec package , does it have 19 inch 437 wheels and adaptive suspension?
      03-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:

Name:  Owl 3.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  288.6 KB
Appreciate 3
cotmfk2058.50
      03-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #11
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

Lol sorry tiny pic automatically formats the photo that way. I took in in vertical format and cant find a way to post vertically.

Takumi587

Long term only for me with M cars. Yes exec package is very nice. I test drove an 18 and had it.

My e92 had comfort access and PDC so it will be a big downgrade coming from an older M with those features to a newer M without lol. HUD is pretty awesome as well.
There is another Yas manual around but it has Sakhir interior and I dont know if I could live with that combo.

boss2k

Yes 437's. No adaptive.

Honestly I do not care for the suspension.

Had EDC on my e92 and didn't even notice the differences... Also I put coils on it which cut that completely out the picture too, which I would probably end up doing on the F80.

But maybe I could use that for bargaining chips as it does not have the package.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #12
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Lol sorry tiny pic automatically formats the photo that way. I took in in vertical format and cant find a way to post vertically.

Takumi587

Long term only for me with M cars. Yes exec package is very nice. I test drove an 18 and had it.

My e92 had comfort access and PDC so it will be a big downgrade coming from an older M with those features to a newer M without lol. HUD is pretty awesome as well.
There is another Yas manual around but it has Sakhir interior and I dont know if I could live with that combo.

boss2k

Yes 437's. No adaptive.

Had EDC on my e92 and didn't even notice the differences... Also I put coils on it which cut that completely out the picture too, which I would probably end up doing on the F80.

But maybe I could use that for bargaining chips as it does not have the package.
Get Irfanview. It can rotate photos 90 or 180 degrees in either direction. Then save the file. The revised file can then be uploaded. Also, Irfanview is FREE.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #13
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the tip. I looked it up but use Mac. Anyway just cropped and edited to make landscape. Didn't think of it the first time.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
My e92 had comfort access and PDC so it will be a big downgrade coming from an older M with those features to a newer M without

Yes 437's. No adaptive.

Comfort access became standard on all F8x in 2016. So this one should have it. It's easy to try it out at the dealer next time you are there (to confirm).

I hear you on the adaptive. I was very much on the fence about it. I ended up with adaptive and now I stay in the middle mode 98% of the time. Based on my and others' opinions, the non-adaptive suspension is very close to the middle level in the adaptive suspension, so I could have saved some money there. Having the adaptive suspension also makes it more expensive when you modify the suspension.

On the paint meter - most dealers will have at least one. Typically the used car manager or used car buyer will have one. Have you driven any other F8xs? It may be worth it just to compare. Anyways, good luck with the hunt!
      03-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #15
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I say go for it. Bumper repair/replacement is no big deal. If this one has the two most critical options you want, YMB and 6mt, then bring her home!
Appreciate 4
      03-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Confirm it's just the bumper cover with no frame damage and no respray of hood and fenders, then good to go!

What are other options? If it's a stripped down car and it's what you want, probably should go for it
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #17
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
If you plan on holding this car long-term then I would wait for one with an Executive package. I know you can request cars to be shipped from other Carmax dealers so as soon as you see the specs you want put a hold on it.

Just my .02 cents. It’s a great car though! As long as you are happy then that’s all that matters.
I agree with this..OP I was in the same boat trying to find the "perfect" M3 in my area 6 months ago... I wanted a loaded Sakhir Orange...and there wasn't much to choose from within 300 miles of here (I live in Seattle).

I was messing around on CarGurus and found my PERFECT car in a small town in Ohio at a Ford dealership. Literally, it was the one. For a week I thought it would be too huge of a hassle to figure out a deal from a 2500 miles away (especially since I had a trade-in).

I bit the bullet and called the dealer..and to my surprise the dealer worked with me on everything - price, logistics, paperwork. A flight and a couple of car shipments and my perfect M3 is down in my garage.

I'm not a wealthy man, not enough to afford a new M3 without really negatively impacting my family, but I've worked hard enough to afford a used one- and I didn't want to settle. It's a very expensive item to settle on.

The other thing- the adaptive LED headlights are amazing- especially when you have the euro anti-dazzle feature coded in. Watching the headlights work at night is surreal. I would strongly urge you to find one with those!

Appreciate 3
THEROK1267.50
      03-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #18
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

UGADawgFan
Man, your story has me pushing to the wait aspect. Im glad you got exactly what you wanted!
Flights and couple car shipments aren't really in my agenda for purchasing this car but I totally respect your commitment and agree with settling.

I'll be honest, I will end up modding the car and as much as the LED package seems nice, I have considered the aftermarket options out there particularly the OSS icon. So that's something I can overlook.

Thinking about mods and I dont even have the car yet lol.

From the responses I have gotten so far, no one has mentioned the price was too high for what it is and what you get so i'm glad to hear that. Please chime in if you think otherwise.

In terms of options, im thinking this is a qualified as "stripper" as you can't opt out on the infotainment screen on this platform, unlike the e9x.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=194224423
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #19
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
UGADawgFan
Man, your story has me pushing to the wait aspect. Im glad you got exactly what you wanted!
Flights and couple car shipments aren't really in my agenda for purchasing this car but I totally respect your commitment and agree with settling.

I'll be honest, I will end up modding the car and as much as the LED package seems nice, I have considered the aftermarket options out there particularly the OSS icon. So that's something I can overlook.

From the responses I have gotten so far, no one has mentioned the price was too high for what it is and what you get so i'm glad to hear that. Please chime in if you think otherwise.

In terms of options, im thinking this is a qualified as "stripper" as you can't opt out on the infotainment screen on this platform, unlike the e9x.

As mentioned above I do think the price is high given it a stripper car and would not pay more than 45k
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #20
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Nothing wrong with the car it seems and price is good. Sure they say there is always a better deal out there, but in reality it never comes. Summer is coming, take the car and enjoy it (provided you do the inspection of the bumper work)
      03-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #21
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Quote:
UGADawgFan

As mentioned above I do think the price is high given it a stripper car and would not pay more than 45k
Well, will the seller take it?
You can walk away and keep the money but if you wan the car, pay the lowest you can and move on.
      03-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #22
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
The other thing- the adaptive LED headlights are amazing- especially when you have the euro anti-dazzle feature coded in. Watching the headlights work at night is surreal. I would strongly urge you to find one with those!
Wow, THIS. I just got done with the test drive after coding mine and
Appreciate 0