BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Which first? CF splitter or MPE?

Hi all,

Looking for opinions on which to go with first or at all? They are both around the same cost and I'm having a hard time deciding between going with the visual mod or the audible mod first.

Anyone have both that would chose one over the other if they could only have one? Pros and Cons of either?

My concerns with both:

Splitter
- Reduced front end clearance. Anyone taken before and after install measurements?
- Having to drill in to the bumper. Non-reversible without either having holes in the bumper or having the have the holes filled and painted.
- I also have clear bra installed that does wrap under the bumper. Am I going to have to remove it for the install? Anyone run in to this problem?

MPE
- I'm really not sure how loud it is as I've yet to witness one in person. Hoping I can find someone local that has one that I can meet up with. I've heard a few people mention it drones at cruising speed...Anyone have any video at cruising speed?
- No performance gains for "Performance" exhaust

Both are ridiculously overpriced, so that's a moot point

TIA

Last edited by CeeTeeX5; 02-11-2018 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

MPE first. 2HP gain. Sound make you feel like having twice the fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep

Are these the same exhaust? I means m performance exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep

M3 m performance design.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

I like to do cosmetic things first to stand out from the other stock cars.

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
HomeIn2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

In regards to a few of your questions:

1. OEM CF splitter doesn’t reduce your ground clearance. It extends you a bit horizontally, but does not make you lower.
2. I suspect you would have to remove part of you paint protection film so the Betalink can properly adhere to the front bumper.
3. MPE sounds good but really isn’t too loud. I never noticed any drone whatsoever.

Last edited by HomeIn2; 02-11-2018 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
CeeTeeX5936.00
      02-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
I drove one with the MPE and unfortunately couldn’t tell a huge difference. However, I’m probably going to order one in a month or two.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #8
shezi01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 35i

MPE. The sound is pure joy to my ears. When i got my car first thing i ordered while picking up was MPPK and then wanted MPE. Last month got that put on.

Its not super loud at all and inside the cabin sound is not annoying at all. Only time its loud is on initial start up. the rumble is very nice on low rpm's. i do have a video that i made between M Sport exhaust note with MPPK and then with MPE(but MPE is just on idle not while driving).

I got mine from here by the vendors. I paid $1270 (exhaust, finishers and shipping). I was not going to pay BMW $1700+ plus labor (set $215+tax). If you PM me, i can share where i got mine.
Appreciate 1
CeeTeeX5936.00
      02-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
shezi01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 35i

Also, if you do end up going down the road of MPE, i recommend to get VHT black glass and clear gloss paint(parts store, i got mine from auto zone) and paint the tips before installing if you are interested in making them black.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

I’ve never experienced the MPE w/out the MPPK, but paired with the MPPK it sounds great! Especially in Sport/+ modes, mine even has a great note and pops in Eco (I use this mode in traffic).

Do you plan on getting MPPK and/or a piggy back then? If so, I’d say get the MPE and wait on the splitter.
If you don’t have or plan to tune, I’d get the splitter.
Appreciate 1
CeeTeeX5936.00
      02-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #11
Plokmp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I’ve never experienced the MPE w/out the MPPK, but paired with the MPPK it sounds great! Especially in Sport/+ modes, mine even has a great note and pops in Eco (I use this mode in traffic).

Do you plan on getting MPPK and/or a piggy back then? If so, I’d say get the MPE and wait on the splitter.
In my car eco pro provides a better lower rpm tone and slightly more pops than comfort lolol
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #12
lovesm3s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M cars

Depends what you want to do. Personally I would do the MPE first because it's something you will hear all the time when you drive.

The splitter doesn't really decrease ground clearance much if at all. You should not hit anything and if you do, it would have likely damaged the bumper anyway.

I have a full body wrap on mine with ceramic and so it was harder to get the 3m tape to stick well even after the prep. I took the car over 100 just to be sure and I was paranoid so I took the 3M off and used betalink instead. My wife who is not a car buff feels the increased stability at speed in turns and actually complained the car felt weird without the lip when I had it off in between to do the betalink.
Appreciate 1
CeeTeeX5936.00
      02-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #13
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIn2 View Post
In regards to a few of your questions:

1. OEM CF splitter doesn’t reduce your ground clearance. It extends you a bit horizontally, but does not make you lower.
2. I suspect you would have to remove part of you paint protection film so the Betalink can properly adhere to the front bumper.
3. MPE sounds good but really isn’t too loud. I never noticed any drone whatsoever.
good to hear there is no change in ground clearance. Sounds like just approach/departure angle impact. No noticeable drone is a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezi01 View Post
Also, if you do end up going down the road of MPE, i recommend to get VHT black glass and clear gloss paint(parts store, i got mine from auto zone) and paint the tips before installing if you are interested in making them black.
Thanks for the PM with the vendor. I plan to have the tips powdercoated for durability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post

I have Dinan Stage 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesm3s View Post
Depends what you want to do. Personally I would do the MPE first because it's something you will hear all the time when you drive.

The splitter doesn't really decrease ground clearance much if at all. You should not hit anything and if you do, it would have likely damaged the bumper anyway.

I have a full body wrap on mine with ceramic and so it was harder to get the 3m tape to stick well even after the prep. I took the car over 100 just to be sure and I was paranoid so I took the 3M off and used betalink instead. My wife who is not a car buff feels the increased stability at speed in turns and actually complained the car felt weird without the lip when I had it off in between to do the betalink.
The wrap you are referring to is vinyl or xpel? Sounds like you have the splitter on top of the wrap?

Thanks all for the feedback so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #14
lovesm3s
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTeeX5 View Post

The wrap you are referring to is vinyl or xpel? Sounds like you have the splitter on top of the wrap?
It's a clear paint protection wrap, similar to Xpel. They used STek Dyno Shield I believe. I placed the splitter on after the car was wrapped, but had the splitter coated with the ceramic since it was easy to do
CeeTeeX5936.00
      02-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #15
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesm3s View Post
It's a clear paint protection wrap, similar to Xpel. They used STek Dyno Shield I believe. I placed the splitter on after the car was wrapped, but had the splitter coated with the ceramic since it was easy to do
got it, ok. So I could just mount it on top of the ppf if I wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
lovesm3s
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
got it, ok. So I could just mount it on top of the ppf if I wanted to.
But you have to sand it still to make it rough otherwise it's too slick
      02-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #17
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Hi all,

Looking for opinions on which to go with first or at all? They are both around the same cost and I'm having a hard time deciding between going with the visual mod or the audible mod first.

Anyone have both that would chose one over the other if they could only have one? Pros and Cons of either?

My concerns with both:

Splitter
- Reduced front end clearance. Anyone taken before and after install measurements?
- Having to drill in to the bumper. Non-reversible without either having holes in the bumper or having the have the holes filled and painted.
- I also have clear bra installed that does wrap under the bumper. Am I going to have to remove it for the install? Anyone run in to this problem?

MPE
- I'm really not sure how loud it is as I've yet to witness one in person. Hoping I can find someone local that has one that I can meet up with. I've heard a few people mention it drones at cruising speed...Anyone have any video at cruising speed?
- No performance gains for "Performance" exhaust

Both are ridiculously overpriced, so that's a moot point

TIA
Definitely do the CP splitter first, it will transform the look of the car. Its important to remove part of the PPF where splitter will go, so it sits level/flush and wont give you problems down the road.

The MPE is okay but seriously sometimes you wont feel its there, let alone someone else.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #18
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

How well is the CF splitter holding up for you guys? Are you seeing many dings and rock chips?

I am thinking about going the RW Carbon route. I know the fitment may not be 100% perfect but it's also about half the cost and I won't feel too bad if it gets a bit banged up.
Wheels: Winter - 469m; Summer - Vossen CV7 22s

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #19
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
How well is the CF splitter holding up for you guys? Are you seeing many dings and rock chips?

I am thinking about going the RW Carbon route. I know the fitment may not be 100% perfect but it's also about half the cost and I won't feel too bad if it gets a bit banged up.
It's holding up pretty well, just be careful not to hit it while parking and you are good! Like everyone has said it doesn't reduce front end clearance. You can even put PPF film to protect it before the install.

So, Definitely get the OEM part.
Appreciate 1
CeeTeeX5936.00
      02-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #20
Chigger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

IMO, CF splitter.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #21
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

You already got bigger wheels, right? If so, do the splitter. I don't think the splitter in combination with 20" wheels looks right.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #22
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:

You are guaranteed rock chips on the splitter unless you're driving 30 miles and under.. I have several chips on mine after 2+ years..

IMO I'd go with the MPE.