BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
afanaras
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, X3 and M3

Bought a Canadian car

Bought a Canadian X5 5.0 the other day (I live in Detroit) and I've noticed that navigation traffic was not updating. Also I tried to add the vehicle to my connect app on my iphone and I keep getting an error that its not equipped for connecteddrive services, but I know it has all the hardware and options needed. Been on the phone with dealers service department, BMW assist and each points the finger to the other. Is it something needed to do to make the car work on the US network? do I need new hardware or can I code it myself? did anybody else has any experience bringing a Canadian car in the US?
I would appreciate any direction.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:30 AM   #2
anki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Azurite F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by afanaras View Post
Bought a Canadian X5 5.0 the other day (I live in Detroit) and I've noticed that navigation traffic was not updating. Also I tried to add the vehicle to my connect app on my iphone and I keep getting an error that its not equipped for connecteddrive services, but I know it has all the hardware and options needed. Been on the phone with dealers service department, BMW assist and each points the finger to the other. Is it something needed to do to make the car work on the US network? do I need new hardware or can I code it myself? did anybody else has any experience bringing a Canadian car in the US?
Thanks
Cars sold ion Canada can only use the Connected Drive Classic App, cannot use the BMW Connected North America App.

For remote services, there is BMW Remote app, that can be downloaded and used.

Sad and sucks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:48 AM   #3
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Thanks
Need neither, I had my Canadian car in the US for several months without issues and everything worked perfectly. Stop by the dealer and see if they can reset everything for you. US dealer should be able to service Canadian car without any issues.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
afanaras
Private First Class
Rep

Canadian car

Using the new app would had been great in particular heating the car up on some cold Michigan mornings, but not overly concerned if not. I would love to have the traffic updates though. I wonder if there is anything else that I need to do to make sure the car is fully registered on the US network.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #5
afanaras
Private First Class
Rep

app

Quote:
Originally Posted by anki View Post
Cars sold ion Canada can only use the Connected Drive Classic App, cannot use the BMW Connected North America App.

For remote services, there is BMW Remote app, that can be downloaded and used.

Sad and sucks!!
Anki, what is BMW remote app, other than the connected app I don't see one.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

I thought just the 40e X5 can heat and cool with the app?! 35i, 35d and 50i just have the ventilate car option with ConnectedDrive. If I am wrong, I apologize...but I do not believe the 50i can be remotely heated.

Quote:
Using the new app would had been great in particular heating the car up on some cold Michigan mornings, but not overly concerned if not. I would love to have the traffic updates though. I wonder if there is anything else that I need to do to make sure the car is fully registered on the US network.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
afanaras
Private First Class
Rep

I wasn't aware that it was only ventilated, I do not want to retrofit with a remote starter thought setting to heat up was an adequate alternative. How about the navigation updates though, what do I need to do to enable them to work in the US?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
I wasn't aware that it was only ventilated, I do not want to retrofit with a remote starter thought setting to heat up was an adequate alternative. How about the navigation updates though, what do I need to do to enable them to work in the US?
You have to stop by a Canadian dealer and renew the connecteddrive agreement. It depends on the year of the car, 2013s came with 4 year coverage, 2014 with 3 year coverage and you can buy 3 more years for $500 or so. After that the remote app, real time traffic and send to car will start working.

Also you will have to figure out which BMW app you can use and what the login is. For 2013-2015 in Canada, we had to use the old BMW remote app, not the new connected drive apps. There is a tread here on BMW connected services Canada login, you can set that up also and see when these services are expiring or what has expired.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #9
mcarter0519
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey M5 Comp

I have had the same issue on my F16 X6. However, it was not a Canadian car, but a European re-fit car. My X6 was originally built and shipped for an executive over in Europe then brought back to Spartanburg, SC to get re-fit to US standards. According to the VIN I had Connected Drive and RTTI, but was never able to get them to work. Spoke with ConnectedDrive people who said that my car did not show up as having the necessary equipment. My, and other, dealers confirmed that my car had the equipment and just gave me a shrug of the shoulders and didn't know what to do because they have not seen this situation before. I persisted enough that my claim went all the way to the highest level of BMW engineers and they eventually got it working. My SA had no idea what they did, but one day it just worked....out of the blue. My advice is to be persistent and don't take no for answer (in a reasonably cordial manner). If your VIN says its available on your car, then something can be done. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
afanaras
Private First Class
Rep

I just spoke to someone in a dealer assist hotline, I wasn't supposed to have that number but I called them anyway, (they thought I was a dealer). He said that my car needs to go through a warranty validation process and i should be fine after that. I called customer care and its a form I need to complete to have the warranty moved over and i should be fine after that. Dealer had no idea what I was talking about, I even called the warranty department!!!
Appreciate 0