BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

01-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

The BMW Store - Now charges for loaners!

Today I called the BMW store in Vancouver to book my next service for my F80. When I asked about the availability of a loaner they mentioned I would be charged $30/day for one. I told her I had zero interest in that and I would just book with Brian Jessel. I called Brian Jessel and they do not have that ridiculous charge. So after 15 years of servicing my cars at the BMW store they lost all my business moving forward. Amazing.

Just something to consider before booking your next service with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

That's brutal, so if your car happens to need some major warranty work your sol? Thankful that BMW of Vic doesn't... yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

^ if it is warranty work related, the dealer could waive the charge depends on your relationship with them. Nothing is written in stone.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
^ if it is warranty work related, the dealer could waive the charge depends on your relationship with them. Nothing is written in stone.
The dealer makes money regardless if its warranty or non warranty work. They still need to fight for the business. I had a list of 6 other items (all warranty) i wanted addressed outside the regular service which they would have made money on as well.

Sure they are able to do what ever they want. They want to charge their clients for a loaner and I in turn want to tell them to shove it.

Its brutal and I've never heard of that in my life. The original term for a loaner is a "courtesy car". Not much of a courtesy if you're being charged for it. Body shops, mom and pop mechanics, and dealers have always offered me a car.
Appreciate 3
      01-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckles View Post
That's brutal, so if your car happens to need some major warranty work your sol? Thankful that BMW of Vic doesn't... yet.
I sent the service manager an email letting him know he lost my business as a result of this. Ill share what he says.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

In Toronto, charging for a loaner has been a fact of life for nearly 5+ yrs now. I recalled if you want a crappy bmw, then it's like $50 per day + gas. Some dealers will waive the charge while some will not.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Parabolica
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
In Toronto, charging for a loaner has been a fact of life for nearly 5+ yrs now. I recalled if you want a crappy bmw, then it's like $50 per day + gas. Some dealers will waive the charge while some will not.
BMW Toronto and Pfaff offer free loaners. I know Budd's does not, instead offer rental cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
Ragazzi-07
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

again it depends on the dealers.

i get loaners at Budds
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #9
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
So far in Montreal, Audi and BMW come and pickup your car and drop off the loaner free of charge.

Let's hope that lasts.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #10
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
BMW Toronto and Pfaff offer free loaners. I know Budd's does not, instead offer rental cars.
Most offer rental at the very least free of charge in GTA. I know dealers like Endras will come drop off a loaner vehicle and collect the car. I just don't trust a random person driving the car.

As far as dealer making money on warranty and non, absolutely true.

I remember once going through my service record where I chose to stay at the dealer and they still noted it as using their shuttle so they would get reimbursed.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335

Last edited by swifty; 01-09-2018 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
CS328Ci
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Bmw store, Brian Jessel, Autowest all charges for loaners from personal experience. I think all Bmw dealerships in BC charge the $25 for the courtesy car.

I've had a free loaner from Brian Jessel in the past but it was a generic rental from enterprise.

In Ontario, this has been the case since like 2010

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bmw-loaners-946778/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
breakfastlinks
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

They all do, I've had service done at every dealer in Vancouver, they all charge a fee but they've always waived it.

On a side note, when are we rare Vancouverites going to ever meet up?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS328Ci View Post
Bmw store, Brian Jessel, Autowest all charges for loaners from personal experience. I think all Bmw dealerships in BC charge the $25 for the courtesy car.

I've had a free loaner from Brian Jessel in the past but it was a generic rental from enterprise.

In Ontario, this has been the case since like 2010

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bmw-loaners-946778/
It must very. As of today when I booked an appointment with brian jessel they said they do not charge. I've never been asked to pay.

Regardless it should be waived if you bought a new car from them, have been a long time client, or have a car that has a high value equalling higher service revenue for them.

The manager got back to me and tried to spin it like it was th customers best interests to have the charge because it allows them to have more cars etc etc. He kept referring to them as courtesy cars, so ultimately i told him we will have to agree to disagree on if that charge benefits their customers, but that by sheer definition he cant disagree that he should stop referring to them as courtesy cars.

cour·te·sy
ˈkərdəsē/Submit
noun
the showing of politeness in one's attitude and behavior toward others.
"he had been treated with a degree of courtesy not far short of deference"
synonyms: politeness, courteousness, good manners, civility, respect, respectfulness;

More
a polite speech or action, especially one required by convention.
plural noun: courtesies
"the superficial courtesies of diplomatic exchanges"

(especially of transport) supplied free of charge to people who are already paying for another service.
modifier noun: courtesy
"he traveled from the hotel in a courtesy car"
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #14
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I've never been charged for a loaner when getting warranty work done at any BMW dealers. Outside of warranty is a different story, but most of the time they will waive it as their hourly rate is already at a premium.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #15
two+2
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP Grey Black

Definitely depends on the relationship with dealer.

Autowest charges $25 for each loaner unless the vehicle in service was purchased from their dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #16
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

You folks need to develop a better relationship with your respective dealers. Just sayin...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #17
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
You folks need to develop a better relationship with your respective dealers. Just sayin...
you'd think after going to one for 15 years they would start to treat you right. Im always nice to them, and above all loyal. Their faces change frequently which doesnt help. Ultimately its their job to keep customers. Loosing one over $30. I rarely rarely (maybe once ever 3 years) even ask for a loaner. Most of the time I just have them drop me off by shuttle 10 block away.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #18
Parabolica
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazzi-07 View Post
again it depends on the dealers.

i get loaners at Budds
What? I asked Budd's when I was in there for my 2k run in service and they said they don't provide loaners.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #19
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
My dealer charges a flat $15 fee for a loaner (usually we get a 330Xi or an X1), regardless of the duration. This fee is waived if the car is in the shop for work covered by either warranty or the free maintenance plan.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #20
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m340ix

In california its been free and hope that doesn't change. My cars in for an oil change check ups, they gave me a m240i convertible loaner and other cars are x4/5 and even a 7 series. I do go to a dealership with one of the biggest loaner programs though but all other dealerships offer them free you just need advance notice of your service date. If you go same day theres no loaners to give out so can't charge you anyways. I returned the car with less gas, smelling or cigarettes and my dog plus dog hair but they mever charged me for the fill up or cleaning so thats a plus as well.

Im sure depends on size of dealership or being at a small canadian place but its taxation indeed for paying for our cars monthly finance and then a loaner. Who wants to wait hours for a damn oil change or days using a taxi or a rental car company hyundai.

In usa too i don't think its about warranty work either cause our contracts only state the service done not a loaner during the work so dealerships give to get your business i assume. Out of service work heard someone had a loaner for over one month and was free the wholetime and past warranty coverage.

Those bastards at bmw did lower the year and miles on our cars as well as whats covered now too, greedy capitalists. The bmw owner some woman that inherited it definitely is scorn at someone lol sales and profits have been record highs but still taxing! Shame on them all, she needs to walk thru the public naked while we ring bells and say shame throwing rotten food at her.

Service advisors and car loaner department are seperate so dont waste time on brown nosing the advisors as well, just look for another dealership im sure one will loan free! Thought everything in canada was free !!!! Im just a regular customer, in his 30's , walkin in with basketball shorts , t shirt , and slippers still getting top notch service. Dealerships are privately owned like some franchises and some owners are greedy or losing money and some can spread some goodness around.

Canada at least offer free shuttle service to your home???
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #21
Rik84
Full Potato
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Bmw store offers a free shuttle as do most dealers. I get my f80 service there as it’s right by my office and Home. I have nothing but high praises for the BMW Store. That said, it costs money to have loaners etc and I also don’t have an issue paying a small fee for convenience items.

Seems kind of petty that a bunch guys who can afford $100k cars are bitching about a $30 loaner.

As far as free loaners are concerned - you’re still paying for it indirectly. $5 here and there on invoices easily eat up the value of the loaner when you compare the # of services completed to the number of people actually taking a loaner. They are just exposing the cost when you pay for it up front. Kind of like everyone paying a little for our wonderful new bridges or tolling those who actually use them...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #22
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik84 View Post
Bmw store offers a free shuttle as do most dealers. I get my f80 service there as it’s right by my office and Home. I have nothing but high praises for the BMW Store. That said, it costs money to have loaners etc and I also don’t have an issue paying a small fee for convenience items.

Seems kind of petty that a bunch guys who can afford $100k cars are bitching about a $30 loaner.

As far as free loaners are concerned - you’re still paying for it indirectly. $5 here and there on invoices easily eat up the value of the loaner when you compare the # of services completed to the number of people actually taking a loaner. They are just exposing the cost when you pay for it up front. Kind of like everyone paying a little for our wonderful new bridges or tolling those who actually use them...
First of all its petty that they charge their clients for something that used to be "complimentary". Its especially petty given the fact that I purchased a 100k car from them and have loyally taken it there for service only to be hit with a $30 "courtesy" car fee.

Second there is no $5 here or there or indirect payment for warranty work. Last time I checked $0 dollars leave my wallet when ever I have taken my car in for work.

If you're happy to pay that then hats off to you. Personally ill go to Brian Jessel where I dont have to pay it and get the exact same service. I didnt even buy my car from them and still still treat me better the The BMW store. Its purely a principal issue, and not one based on if I can afford paying $30 or not.

this fee is in the same vien as "resort fees" now seen at hotels that I no longer stay at.
Appreciate 1