BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

01-09-2018, 12:09 AM   #1
sparcus
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Alpine White

Wtb: Gts Wing Mount Template

Hey guys, does anyone have the GTS wing template for the trunk to drill holes?

please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
More importantly, make sure you make support plates when you install your wing bro.

27503495_10155925233217976_8457798363468190996_o by dj_dub, on Flickr
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11586.00
      02-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I don't see the sense of cutting away the trunk frame (weakening the trunk skin) so you can add a support plate (strengthening the trunk skin). Any evidence that a support plate is necessary? Genuine question cos I just installed my GTS wing also.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I don't see the sense of cutting away the trunk frame (weakening the trunk skin) so you can add a support plate (strengthening the trunk skin). Any evidence that a support plate is necessary? Genuine question cos I just installed my GTS wing also.
To be honest, I didn't think about adding some either until I took it to a local well known BMW shop that has installed a bunch of wings on E9Xs as well as racecars and they strongly recommended it when installing my wing. Glad I did!

After seeing the small sections of cut out frame, now I can see why. See where the mounting holes are...there's a gap between the frame and the skin on one hole and the other wouldn't be completely flush. With the wing mounts putting stress in that area especially under downforce, it'll bend that section of the trunk for sure. The support plates keep the mounting area flat which in return adds strength and rigidity. Since I do track my car, I'd rather take this safe approach. Just my educated guess...anyone feel free to correct me.

I must add that I have a M3 GT4 MkII wing which is bigger than the GTS wing. Others that have mounted this wing and track their car have also taken similar approaches...whether it be support plates on the top of the trunk, or on the bottom like mine.
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
To be honest, I didn't think about adding some either until I took it to a local well known BMW shop that has installed a bunch of wings on E9Xs as well as racecars and they strongly recommended it when installing my wing. Glad I did!

After seeing the small sections of cut out frame, now I can see why. See where the mounting holes are...there's a gap between the frame and the skin on one hole and the other wouldn't be completely flush. With the wing mounts putting stress in that area especially under downforce, it'll bend that section of the trunk for sure. The support plates keep the mounting area flat which in return adds strength and rigidity. Since I do track my car, I'd rather take this safe approach. Just my educated guess...anyone feel free to correct me.

I must add that I have a M3 GT4 MkII wing which is bigger than the GTS wing. Others that have mounted this wing and track their car have also taken similar approaches...whether it be support plates on the top of the trunk, or on the bottom like mine.
+1 on support brackets. Anything to mitigate flex is a good thing. Without plates a wing's mounting points can flex a bit and deform the trunk. I also have GT4 mk2 but on a carbon trunk. Car has exceeded speeds of 165mph many times no problem.
Appreciate 1
dj_dub1802.50
      02-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

I like this. I have the cylinders that were included in my GTS wing now, its pretty strong with minimal movement from what I can see.

I also have the GT4 MKII sitting in my basement as well. What are the dimensions of brackets and what metal was used for these? I wish there was grooves on the GT4 mounts like the GTS mounts have for rubber washers.
Appreciate 0