BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
ijaz429
ijaz429
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 xdrive 50i

Here's a real brain buster for you.... back pain.

I've searched everywhere and can't find much on this issue. I bought a 44,000 mile 2014 x5 with ventilated multi-contour seats. The car is amazing and very comfortable. After driving it for a couple of days I noticed this dull pain right above my tailbone. It takes about 15 minutes before i feel it and it gets progressively worse the longer i sit. As soon as I get out of the car, it's gone.
I had to drive a rental car for the last week, a 40,000 mile rav4, and I felt nothing. After 2 days back driving the x5, the pain has returned.

Ive spent hours watching youtube videos on sitting positions and have adjusted the setting and lumbar 1000 different ways.

I went to bmw and they had no solutions. I'm at a point where I may have to take a major financial loss on trading it in.

Have you ever heard of something so ridiculous? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

The depth of knowledge on thus forum is incredible and I'm praying someone has some input.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #2
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

vented seats have thinner cushions/paddings to make room for the ventilation tube/shrouds to channel air around. u can try swapping ur seats out for non vented multi contour seats. also see if ur dealer can let u go on an extended test drive on a model with non vented, multi contour seat so u can see for urself if theres a difference before swapping.
      12-29-2017, 10:40 PM   #3
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Maybe see about having the seat cushion replaced. As TOPEC says, ventilated seats are not as thick cushioned. Also, do you have the side bolsters all the way out? This would make for a flatter seat back. Having them aggressively in could be causing lumbar issues and would be different than a rav 4 seat for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #4
ijaz429
ijaz429
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
vented seats have thinner cushions/paddings to make room for the ventilation tube/shrouds to channel air around. u can try swapping ur seats out for non vented multi contour seats. also see if ur dealer can let u go on an extended test drive on a model with non vented, multi contour seat so u can see for urself if theres a difference before swapping.
This is good info. It does feel as if the cushioning in the seat has worn down a bit over time. I am going to ask the dealership if I can borrow another x5 for an hour.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 06:45 AM   #5
ijaz429
ijaz429
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
Maybe see about having the seat cushion replaced. As TOPEC says, ventilated seats are not as thick cushioned. Also, do you have the side bolsters all the way out? This would make for a flatter seat back. Having them aggressively in could be causing lumbar issues and would be different than a rav 4 seat for sure.
Yes I thought of this also and tried adjusting out the bolsters with no success.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I have a lot of back pain but the X5 has not had any impact. I'd consider a visit to a orthotic store (or a call) they may have high quality cushion materials.

Also, could be your wallet is much thinner now and you are sitting differently. Lol
Appreciate 0