European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-24-2017, 04:20 AM   #1
jnthn
SLUSHIE
Australia
Rep
Drives: f80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2017 BMW f80 M3  [0.00]
Car Voltage

So recently I ran into an issue with my dashcam that it didn't cut power and drained my battery.

I now have a p3 gauge that helps me read the voltage on my car. However I noticed a few things with voltage.

1. While it drives, the voltage goes up. If I accelerate, it spikes up as well. 13.5-14.5V or so
2. While it rests at a light it stays steady. 13.5V
3. While it is parked, it starts building voltage. Starts maybe 13.2V then climbs steadily at like 0.1V per 20 secs.

So I just wanted to ask everyone if this is correct and 'normal'. And in such a case as long as the voltage that it starts with when turning on the car every morning is not lower than 12.5V, means my dash cam's 'problem' is fixed?

I'm surprised the car charges so quickly while it's parked.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

Yes that sounds reasonable, think of your battery as a shock absorber, while the car is running ,,that’s why it is closer to 14 V than the standard 12 V battery ,, if the alternator can’t keep up,,the battery helps when the car is running. as energy depletes,, the battery helps with the load.. hope that helps..

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 1
jnthn77.50
      12-25-2017, 10:32 PM   #3
jnthn
SLUSHIE
Australia
Rep
Drives: f80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2017 BMW f80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
Yes that sounds reasonable, think of your battery as a shock absorber, while the car is running ,,that’s why it is closer to 14 V than the standard 12 V battery ,, if the alternator can’t keep up,,the battery helps when the car is running. as energy depletes,, the battery helps with the load.. hope that helps..
Ah i see - so the alternator in our car also has a separate battery to store power? Or do you mean the alternator doesn't charge the battery fast enough, the battery will start depleting?

Thank you for the help
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 12:21 AM   #4
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

The alternator does not have a battery in it,,,it is just supplying voltage to the battery to charge it, , but the Alt supply’s the 14volts to all the electronics the car need to operate.

For example if your alternator is a 60 amp alternator and it any point in time your car using more than 60 A then it reverts to the battery to make up for the voltage loss , in modern cars this rarely happens, but most of your modern cars are going to need the 14 V at your alternator supplying the cars electrical system.

All I’m saying is that’s why you’re seeing around 14 V charging your battery while your car is running

Just YouTube alternator versus battery voltage how it affects your car and it will help you to understand..

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0