Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > Classifieds > Members Classifieds > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons

10-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
Zayzel
IG: @Zayzel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Atlantis Metallic M3

Remus Exhaust Q's

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
So I'm looking at purchasing an exhaust and was recently offered a Remus midpipe. I'm completely new at modding my car - so exhausts and all the terminology that comes with them are way over my head.

Can someone please help me determine what all I need? I was researching and people are saying Remus exhaust with stock DP is the way to go. So if I were to purchase this midpipe, is there anything else I need? I have an '18 ZCP, thanks in advance. Sorry for the horrible noobness.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

you still need the rear section. midpipes is what it sounds like...sits in the middle of the rear section and your downpipes
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
Zayzel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvietness View Post
you still need the rear section. midpipes is what it sounds like...sits in the middle of the rear section and your downpipes
What is the rear section called? Do people usually sell it separately and just weld them together?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayzel View Post
What is the rear section called? Do people usually sell it separately and just weld them together?
Rear section is also called an axleback. People sell all kinds of exhaust components separately too. Just have to find the right combo to produce the noise you prefer. I like the deeper tones w/ out the rasp so I went with the AA (active autowerke) w/ the Remus axleback and the noise is phenomenal.

Turbo back includes all three components, the downpipes, midpipes and the axleback.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
Zayzel
United_States
Rep

Ah, well I heard Remus is only good with stock DPs. If I purchase these midpipes, do you know of any axleback vendors that will go well with it? Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Ah, well I heard Remus is only good with stock DPs. If I purchase these midpipes, do you know of any axleback vendors that will go well with it? Thanks for the info!
Terminology to remember:

Axle back/muffler/back box/slip on: the rear section of the exhaust - the very last component. This is after the midpipes.

Midpipes: the exhaust component that is in the middle, between the downpipe and the axle back.

Downpipe: downpipes, or dp's as it's commonly referred to as. This is where the primary cats reside, and is the exhaust component that is after the turbos, and before the midpipes.

Resonated/non-resonated: resonators are found on midpipes primarily and are crucial to attaining the sound you want.

Turbo back exhaust: the full exhaust components after the turbo, hence the turbo back name. This means downpipes, midpipes, and axle back/muffler/back box/slip on.

Cat back: means the axle back and midpipes. Again, this is after the downpipes/primary cats, hence why it's called cat back.

Now that we've gotten nomenclatures over with, you must decide what you're going with in terms of downpipes. Downpipes play a crucial role in your exhaust because they dictate whether or not you need resonators in your midpipes. If you go for catless downpipes, then you will want a resonated midpipe so as to avoid extreme raspiness and loudness. Some people like the extreme loud sound, most hate it. If you plan on keeping your stock downpipes, then you can go for non-resonated midpipes for extra sound.

Going catless downpipes increases sound dramatically. Removal of the primary cats in the downpipe will also throw a CEL: a check engine light. You also need to take emissions into account, as certain states require you to pass emissions, which you will not do with catless downpipes. Catless dp's also emit a smell when your windows are rolled down and you're idling. The smell isn't too strong, but it's noticeable.

The reason why you hear Remus is only good with stock dp's is because their exhaust, which is a catback exhaust, and people get with no resonators, sounds really good when paired with stock downpipes. If you go catless downpipes and then get their non-resonated midpipes with their axle back, you're going to be in for rasp city and a real crappy sound. They offer a midpipe with resonators, which I'm sure sounds great with catless downpipes. Most people get the full Remus catback with no resonators, decide they want more noise and pair it with catless downpipes, and then are disappointed with the horrid sound.

All that being said, it's ultimately up to you. I am an extremely firm believe in the Active Autowerke midpipes, which utilises a single midpipe design and gets rid of a lot of rasp. I paired it with a Remus axle back, which is known to be very rowdy, and a VRSF catless downpipe. My exhaust is loud, but not very raspy because of the AA midpipes. and it sounds amazing IMO. I've heard many setups, and despite the fact that I get bored very easily - I can't really imagine getting rid of the current setup. I may change the axle back, but that's it.

Good luck!
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
Zayzel385.00
      10-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Try Dinan rear section! Have a good video of the setup as well
Appreciate 0