BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

09-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #1
TimberWolf_3063
Dem Ingenör ist nix zu schwör!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 - DCT, EDC

Garage List
Grill Stripes - Part 2 *pictures fixed*

EDIT: Pictures are fixed!

So, after my disastrous experience with Bimmian grill stripes (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1423078), I looked for alternatives.

Found these on Amazon:

(https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

and figured that 10" long and 2" wide stripes would be more than enough...I didn't just want the front of the slat, but the whole thing covered.

I thought I could wrap the tape all the way around so it would overlap in the back...forgetting that the slats are curved (more on that later).

Before I continue...I should mention that I am an engineer. And German. (Hence why I drive an M-Car, I know that Germans build them better. I know it in every fiber of my being. I know it like the Earth is round! )

I am as STUBBORN as it GETS.

So! First order of business, remove the grill! (Special thanks to BimmerM for his handy grill removal guide http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531294, made it a lot easier!)

With the aforementioned guide (and a body/trim tool) - no problem!

Step 2: Remove the center grill portion (black) from the surrounding trim (chrome)

There are clips all around it, similar to removing the entire grill from the car.

Here's where the fun begins...as you'll remember - the slats are curved. THE SLATS ARE CURVED. THE GODDAMN SLATS ARE CURVED!!!

So, stubborn as I am, I'm not giving up! The slats are curved? I'LL give THEM a curve!

By sticking a piece of paper between the slats, I traced the outline and made a cardboard template. Yes, I know all the slats are different sizes. But, the same shape - so the template a little longer or shorter should do the trick. I wanted the stripes on the 6th (red), 7th (dark blue) and 8th (light blue) slat from the outside, roughly centered in the driver-side grill (which has 14 slats total BTW). So, I made the template for the 7th slat.

Using a very sharp knife and the soft work surface of my desk, I cut curved pieces for right and left side and a straight stripe for the front for each slat, in each colour. EXTREMELY CAREFULLY, I literally spent HOURS on this. The light blue was done first and looked great, the edges lined up nicely...but when I cut the dark blue... I had held the template backwards... and cut 2 identical curved pieces.
I ABSOLUTELY LOST MY SH*T ! But, life goes on. And I am stubborn. So, after a cup of coffee, I gave the matter some thought.

Too much material lost? OK. So I gave up on the second plan, individual pieces for the sides... I just ended up cutting the straight front stripes, sticking them on the grill, and trimming the edge flush with aforementioned sharp knife - came out OK.

Having the grill off the car, and the surrounding trim removed, makes this a lot easier. It looks OK for now, but what I have determined to do is go to an auto-parts store, get custom spray-paint mixed, and paint the individual slats permanently.

From this handy article (http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/04/13/hi...ors-explained/) I got the correct paint codes, and I have some local friends and fellow Mers who might split the cost, since we'll each only need a small amount.

The tape wasn't a total waste - I got a Turner Motorsport poster from a friend and put it in a cheap white frame, and put some remaining tape bits on it.

The tape itself was decent quality, and really stuck - also good for other trim or decorative ideas. But, I think paint will be the way to go - so stay tuned for Part 3!
"Ah, what music! They could never have imagined it, those pioneers that invented the automobile...that it would possess us like this, and our imaginations, and our dreams. You see, men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!" - Alexander Fermor-Hesketh, 3rd Baron Hesketh

Last edited by TimberWolf_3063; 09-18-2017 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0