BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #1
TaxLit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Nada

Any reason not to buy this tomorrow?

I was planning to buy an M3 in August. But our car is suddenly dying and I am therefore in a rush to get something. I am downtown Toronto.

Saw this on Autotrader:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/Tor...O&orup=7_15_15

I called and asked about rod bearings. Dealer doesn't know whether rod bearings have been swapped. I assume not if the Kms are accurate.

I like the simple, clean, no-nav dash and the blue colour. Would've preferred EDC, or red leather, but I suppose one can't have it all.

45k is extremely low for a 6 year old car. Does anyone know how to tell if a car has had the odometer rolled back?

Also considering this 4-door: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/Bra...O&orup=3_15_25

Can anyone suggest a better alternative that can be had within a week?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxLit View Post
Also considering this 4-door: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/Bra...O&orup=3_15_25
Thanks!
Been looking for a M3 pretty much everyday of the week for the past month. Nothing I mean, nothing is clean.
That silver one you pointed out, has paint work all over from what my friend said when he went to visit the dealership. It's no good.

That being said, if you looking on Kijiji, you will see this one.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

I think this one is really clean!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #3
TaxLit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
Been looking for a M3 pretty much everyday of the week for the past month. Nothing I mean, nothing is clean.
That silver one you pointed out, has paint work all over from what my friend said when he went to visit the dealership. It's no good.

That being said, if you looking on Kijiji, you will see this one.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

I think this one is really clean!
Thanks!

It has been up for quite a while; that would explain it.

Any thoughts on the blue one?

EDIT: should add that I want DCT instead of manual.

Last edited by TaxLit; 05-19-2017 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #4
cmyE93M3
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

A member here has one for sale, in the Canadian classified section. Like you guys I was hunting also, I bought one on Wednesday, pick it up tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #5
cmyE93M3
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Here ya go:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386357
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I was planning to buy an M3 in August. But our car is suddenly dying and I am therefore in a rush to get something. I am downtown Toronto.

Saw this on Autotrader:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/Tor...O&orup=7_15_15

I called and asked about rod bearings. Dealer doesn't know whether rod bearings have been swapped. I assume not if the Kms are accurate.

I like the simple, clean, no-nav dash and the blue colour. Would've preferred EDC, or red leather, but I suppose one can't have it all.

45k is extremely low for a 6 year old car. Does anyone know how to tell if a car has had the odometer rolled back?

Thanks!
45k and worried about rod bearings????

Please...worry about something else.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6015.50
      05-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #7
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

To answer one of your questions regarding odometer rollback, you can do a scan with a Carly adapter. Might not be a bad investment if you know you're going to get a BMW as your next car. Another option is to ask a local member that has one to perform the scan on the car. It should show mileage as reported by several modules, as well as engine-on time.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 12:54 AM   #8
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

You can do what you want but smarter people than you and I would tell us NEVER buy a $30-40k car in a week! Why? Something about a fool and his $$$ are soon parted, or fools rush in where angels fear to tread...etc...etc...I think you get the gist.
Notice how many people have been looking for "awhile" and are still looking because wisdom is about finding that car that's been well maintained, with relatively low mileage, and shows pride of ownership. Don't allow "I've got to get it now" to blind you into making mistakes that may cost you beaucoup de dollars down the road. If have to, buy or rent a beater while you're looking for the car you can't live without!
Good luck!
Appreciate 1
DGM339.00
      05-20-2017, 01:42 AM   #9
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

It has been up for quite a while; that would explain it.

Any thoughts on the blue one?

EDIT: should add that I want DCT instead of manual.
Yeah that silver one has been around for months. It's no good, even in photos you can tell its two different silvers.

That being said, the blue one seems pretty clean. I would do some homework before buying it though, have it inspected first. The DCT M3's all leak. The DCT hoses might leak, the DCT ECU gasket leaks for sure, and the original DCT pan MAY leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
You can do what you want but smarter people than you and I would tell us NEVER buy a $30-40k car in a week! Why? Something about a fool and his $$$ are soon parted, or fools rush in where angels fear to tread...etc...etc...I think you get the gist.
Notice how many people have been looking for "awhile" and are still looking because wisdom is about finding that car that's been well maintained, with relatively low mileage, and shows pride of ownership. Don't allow "I've got to get it now" to blind you into making mistakes that may cost you beaucoup de dollars down the road. If have to, buy or rent a beater while you're looking for the car you can't live without!
Good luck!
+1... I've been looking since December and I still haven't found the right one.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2017, 01:53 AM   #10
TaxLit
Enlisted Member
Rep

I appreciate all the advice/tips.

I need a DCT, instead of a manual, assuming that I don't want to learn to drive manual in an M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 01:57 AM   #11
TaxLit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyE93M3 View Post
A member here has one for sale, in the Canadian classified section. Like you guys I was hunting also, I bought one on Wednesday, pick it up tomorrow.
I've also been hunting (online) for a few months. Did you happen to buy the black sedan with red leather from Azerus that recently disappeared from Auto Trader? I liked that one.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 02:06 AM   #12
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate all the advice/tips.

I need a DCT, instead of a manual, assuming that I don't want to learn to drive manual in an M3.
People are going to tell you, 6MT is the better choice for an M3. But on the E9x platform, DCT and 6MT is equally fun. I had DCT before, bulletproof transmission but they develop reoccurring leaks. Just keep an eye out for that.

Before on the E46 M3 platform the 6MT was the only way to go since SMG was complete rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 02:26 AM   #13
TaxLit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
...I've been looking since December and I still haven't found the right one.
Since I've looked at every m3 available on autotrader nationally over the past few days, what exactly are you looking for?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 02:28 AM   #14
TaxLit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
People are going to tell you, 6MT is the better choice for an M3. But on the E9x platform, DCT and 6MT is equally fun. I had DCT before, bulletproof transmission but they develop reoccurring leaks. Just keep an eye out for that.

Before on the E46 M3 platform the 6MT was the only way to go since SMG was complete rubbish.
Thanks. I considered renting a manual for a week, and learning on that, but even if I did learn manual there will probably be a lot of time when I'm stuck in traffic, which I hear is even less fun in a manual.

Edit: Thanks for pointing out the leak issue. Based in the post here http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=32, this is a roughly $1k fix?

Last edited by TaxLit; 05-20-2017 at 02:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #15
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I considered renting a manual for a week, and learning on that, but even if I did learn manual there will probably be a lot of time when I'm stuck in traffic, which I hear is even less fun in a manual.

Edit: Thanks for pointing out the leak issue. Based in the post here http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=32, this is a roughly $1k fix?
It depends on what you need to do. I did filters, pan, gaskets all around. Had my friend at the dealership do it all for a good price.

If I recall its close to $2k regularly in Toronto.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #16
Parabolica
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT

So did you end up getting the blue one?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #17
TaxLit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
So did you end up getting the blue one?

Yes, actually. It's still conditional on pre-inspection.

In person I thought it looked very, very good. Felt like a new car. Gaps generally looked good all around. One small round mark on the back bumper causes me a little concern, and one tiny ding in the driver's door, but other than that the paint looks great and consistent.

The pre-inspection is being done at parkview BMW. I hope to get it by the end of the week.

I've wanted one of these cars since they first came out in 2008. It's a bit of a dream come true that I could make it happen.

Last edited by TaxLit; 05-21-2017 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #18
cmyE93M3
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I've also been hunting (online) for a few months. Did you happen to buy the black sedan with red leather from Azerus that recently disappeared from Auto Trader? I liked that one.
Nope, I picked up an E93 from a friend who has a dealership, I had been looking for about a year, some guy drove into his lot, traded his M3 for a Porsche Macan and dealer called me to come look at the traded M3. Took it to my mechanic and body shop guy, car checked out, full history, was in nice shape. It did have a small claim for $3,800 for damage to the front bumper and driver qtr. He had pic's looked pretty minor. So I went for it, been loving it ever since but it does need a few little fixes here and there.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 10:40 PM   #19
triggz82
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I bought the black sedan with the fox red interior from Azores. I had been eyeing it for a while.

It was a clean American car which may have explained why it had been listed for a while. I got more info and verified the original owner relocated from Texas to St Catherines and traded it in here. The car came with up to date maintenance and a bill for $3,200+ in paid maintenance at a St Catherines BMW dealer that included a number of maintenance items completed 6000km ago (plugs, major fluids and new tire). I'm very happy with it!

I did also test drive the blue one you're getting inspected and it was ridiculously clean and felt brand new. Absolutely loved it. Deal breaker was it it was a coupe and I wanted a sedan as well as the lack of idrive. The speed cloth seats were very nice. It was the least optioned M3 I've seen + carbon bits, which I actually liked (aside from the iDrive). I hope you enjoy the M3 as much as I am.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:15 AM   #20
Parabolica
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz82 View Post
I bought the black sedan with the fox red interior from Azores. I had been eyeing it for a while.

It was a clean American car which may have explained why it had been listed for a while. I got more info and verified the original owner relocated from Texas to St Catherines and traded it in here. The car came with up to date maintenance and a bill for $3,200+ in paid maintenance at a St Catherines BMW dealer that included a number of maintenance items completed 6000km ago (plugs, major fluids and new tire). I'm very happy with it!

I did also test drive the blue one you're getting inspected and it was ridiculously clean and felt brand new. Absolutely loved it. Deal breaker was it it was a coupe and I wanted a sedan as well as the lack of idrive. The speed cloth seats were very nice. It was the least optioned M3 I've seen + carbon bits, which I actually liked (aside from the iDrive). I hope you enjoy the M3 as much as I am.
I was considering that black one from azores as well back in January but I just couldn't convince myself to buy one with dct. It looked like a great package though as I wanted a 2011 4 door.

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #21
TaxLit
Enlisted Member
Rep

You guys buying warranties?

I'm beginning to think it may be prudent. But I haven't had time to research them yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 04:16 PM   #22
triggz82
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
You guys buying warranties?

I'm beginning to think it may be prudent. But I haven't had time to research them yet.
No. The lubrico warranty that they sell is trash - look up lubrico anywhere and you'll see a majority of negative reviews. CoverageOne has always been recommended by BMW guys, but I am not sure how to purchase. I do not plan on keeping the car completely stock and will be doing some preventative work out of pocket (rod bearings and potentially throttle actuators) so I'm opting out for now.
Appreciate 0