GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #1
Johncook
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

anyone moved to the M3/M4 after an audi RS car??

Hi guys,

great site here. I bought a new 330d estate for the wife last year, its a great car (non x-drive).

had a couple of audi RS cars, wondering if anyone has made a move from Quattro to the latest M3/M4 and how you have found the grip levels compare?

I've read a lot about it, and that you just have to be a little more cautious if its wet / cold.

see a few M4's around where I am in Cheshire, and the odd M3, but mainly M4s.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Never owned an RS car but driven a few, for me M cars are totally different to RS cars, my friends with RS cars didn't like driving my M cars when we swapped.

"Why does the rear end step out?!" Was one memorable comment after I swapped my old F10 M5 with a mates C7 RS6.

Traction is an issue with the new turbo M cars and you have to drive around it, modulate the throttle, select the right gear and take the road condition into consideration.

I don't mind that as it's a challenge to get it right but often you (or at least I) don't but I found RS cars a bit inert as what they gain in traction they lose in edge.

If you love mashing the throttle I'd stick to an RS car.
      04-02-2017, 02:39 AM   #3
Johncook
Registered
Rep

Thanks,

I had an E46 M3 previously which was great, quite a while ago now so I've forgotten how it felt. Had a B7 RS4 after that and currently on a mapped TTRS with kw DDC coilovers and many other mods. It's handles much better and is more entertaining than stock but at the absolute limit of grip will always under steer rather than become more playful and slide at the back end.

After buying the 330d last year its got me thinking about BMWs again and I'm tempted to try an M3 or M3 CP as it's got the added practicality in the rear. That added challenge/ technique required in the M3 sounds like a lot of fun.

Last edited by Johncook; 04-02-2017 at 02:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 04:55 AM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

The CP has more grip than the standard car due to different software and obviously the wider 20" tyre.
When I picked up mine in the summer last year, I was surprised how much grip it had for a powerful RWD car, and that was coming from a 335d xdrive.

But over the winter, it became apparent is was behaving more like a powerful RWD car.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

You have to define more grip though, 1%? 5%? Either way if you mash the throttle in 1st and 2nd or coming out of a bend it will slip.

The CP is officially one 10th of second quicker to 62 that's not a lot more traction which is the trick Quattro gives you.

A few MM of additional tyre isn't going to be a game changer either.

That's not to say the CP isn't a better M3, as it is. All the reviews say so but it's not going to compete with an RS for traction.
      04-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #6
Johncook
Registered
Rep

What size are the rears , 275??
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I've had a few butt twitching moments in my M4 CP and that was with TC fully on and no madness.

You just need to drive to the conditions but there will be no comparison for all weather performance when comparing to an RS car.

If you like the challenge the M will likely be more rewarding but if you want point and squirt performance then the RS will be the best choice.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
You have to define more grip though, 1%? 5%? Either way if you mash the throttle in 1st and 2nd or coming out of a bend it will slip.

The CP is officially one 10th of second quicker to 62 that's not a lot more traction which is the trick Quattro gives you.

A few MM of additional tyre isn't going to be a game changer either.

That's not to say the CP isn't a better M3, as it is. All the reviews say so but it's not going to compete with an RS for traction.
Firstly, yes I agree, I dont think anyone has said the M3 will complete with an RS for traction!!!
An M3 wont compete with 3/4 xdrive in the wet either.

My post was stating that as I understand it, the CP has a little more grip over a standard car, but by what measurable amount, I've no idea.

I've just based my comments on the many people who have driven or owned both cars and virtually all comment the CP has better traction. I've not driven a standard car so I cant comment on first hand experience, but I'm sure all those people that have driven both cant be wrong.

Now regards the power of so called 19bhp more, thats a different matter. I dont know anyone who has said the CP feels any quicker whatsoever in a straight line.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

In fact here the 0-60 is slower than manufacturers figures, but the 0-100mph aint half bad. That Alpha is a pretty quick car though with 0-100 at 8.0s.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #10
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncook View Post
What size are the rears , 275??
My CP is:
Front 265/30
Rear 285/30

I guess the 19" wheels are 275 rears.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:42 AM   #11
Johncook
Registered
Rep

thanks all.

will have to try an M3 CP out from my local dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 05:56 AM   #12
pie
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Package

I went from B7 RS4 to C63 AMG (6.2 not the current 4.0 TT) and then last month onto the M4.

Having Quattro is a massive difference in terms of some reassurance when pushing on.
The C63 was a massive PITA pulling out from a junction in the wet, the M4 isn't much better.

Driving in light frost / snow in the C63 was just horrid until I fitted winter tyres.
The RS4 just took 3" of fresh snow in its stride with summer tyres.

On a spirited drive home in the RS4 in the summer (stay out in the country so plenty B Roads) I would park up with a smile - it was a fun journey but I always felt "safe"

In the C63 and M4 I'd park up on the same journey home but be pumped with adrenaline and have an even bigger smile.
Big powered RWD cars keep you on your toes but are so satisfying once you figure them out i.e. switching off TC!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 - Yas Marina

I came from an Audi TT RS and and RS3 into the m4

completely different kettle of fish, the m4 needs to be driven in a different way to the RS cars but that is the good thing about it, you need to work to get the best out of it.

I loved the RS cars but find the m4 much more exciting to drive
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #14
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Firstly, yes I agree, I dont think anyone has said the M3 will complete with an RS for traction!!!
An M3 wont compete with 3/4 xdrive in the wet either.

My post was stating that as I understand it, the CP has a little more grip over a standard car, but by what measurable amount, I've no idea.

I've just based my comments on the many people who have driven or owned both cars and virtually all comment the CP has better traction. I've not driven a standard car so I cant comment on first hand experience, but I'm sure all those people that have driven both cant be wrong.

Now regards the power of so called 19bhp more, thats a different matter. I dont know anyone who has said the CP feels any quicker whatsoever in a straight line.
I very much doubt it is much quicker all the reviews have the stock car tested as quicker but that's just numbers on any given day and means nothing, the CP will be a better drive I know this from owning many M3's CP and stock over the years.

I love the fact that you can't just mash the throttle in an M car makes the journey more interesting trying to get it right, My RS owning friends just laugh at me but I'm still smiling.
      04-16-2017, 01:16 AM   #15
Yas_Man
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Speed Yellow M4 Comp Pack

I had an Audi TTRS before my M4 and the grip was amazing, almost unshakable, the M4 is way more fun to drive and you have to pay attention but it rewards great driving and is better in every way.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #16
Henry655
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible Competition DCT

Not sure how relevant my example is, but I came from a 13 RS4 Avant to a 13 M3 coupe

In every day (Glaswegian) driving conditions (greasy roads etc) the RS4 did feel slightly more usable, however, I never really found the M3 a challenge to drive in the wet at 3/4 pace.

I've also never really had the desire to drive flat out on public roads in the wet either!

In the dry, I honestly don't which car was faster, and I don't care to know the technical data - the M3 was infinitely more fun to drive than the RS4, I can't even begin to compare the two.

Unless there has been a serious shake up at Audi, I can't see it being much different now with the current models - maybe R8 aside?
Appreciate 0