GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

03-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
NY Tint

NY Friends,

I'll be picking up my first vehicle ever, that I won't be tinting due to the new NYS law requiring tint inspection for the NYS yearly inspection.

I have already contact the governor, and typical no reply.

What are you guys doing about getting your inspections, or signing petitions, etc?

Our neighboring great state of CT has a 35% limit.

Any thoughts as to how we can change this legislation?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
ChallengeM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Let's ask to see our great governors personal and official vehicles' windows, I have a hunch they are tinted beyond the legal 70%.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
I just posted a thread yesterday with no response. I have a month to find a shop to pass me or I will be removing my two fronts, inspecting and retinting. Lucky for me the tint shop has a neighboring inspection site so I can do it all at the same time.
      03-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

This tint "situation" really pisses me off. The word on the street is the cops complained about all the tinted cars and how their lives are more at risk because of the tint. Our wonderful elected officials decided that this was the best course of action to be more cop friendly.

I was either gonna slip a local shop an extra $30-50 to pass me or take a ride into one of the Burroughs. I'm sure a shop in the city will take care of the inspection for a couple of extra bucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
NY Friends,

I'll be picking up my first vehicle ever, that I won't be tinting due to the new NYS law requiring tint inspection for the NYS yearly inspection.

What are you guys doing about getting your inspections, or signing petitions, etc?

NYS is simliar to CT the only thing that changed about the NY law is now they connected checking tint with getting your inspection. Stations have a tint meter, if it is not too dark you pass. It is NOT a law allowing NO Tinting at all. You just cant have it too dark and on the front window. The same as it has always been.
      03-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #6
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC View Post
Quote:
NY Friends,

NYS is simliar to CT the only thing that changed about the NY law is now they connected checking tint with getting your inspection. Stations have a tint meter, if it is not too dark you pass. It is NOT a law allowing NO Tinting at all. You just cant have it too dark and on the front window. The same as it has always been.
Basically NY state law is a NO tint law. They want 70% light transmission. Which is pretty much no tint. If I had to put 70% on my car (I have 20%) I wouldn't bother tinting.
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
cruzzinlow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Petition:
https://www.change.org/p/new-york-st...new-york-state
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
cruzzinlow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

removing the 2 fronts won't due, same rule applies for the rear door windows as well unless it came from the factory that way like SUV or pickup trucks which makes the new rule even more BS...
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
I just posted a thread yesterday with no response. I have a month to find a shop to pass me or I will be removing my two fronts, inspecting and retinting. Lucky for me the tint shop has a neighboring inspection site so I can do it all at the same time.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzzinlow View Post
I signed and sent it around. I'm sure It won't make a difference though.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #10
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzzinlow View Post
removing the 2 fronts won't due, same rule applies for the rear door windows as well unless it came from the factory that way like SUV or pickup trucks which makes the new rule even more BS...
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
We'll see. Either way, I'm prepared to remove and retint on the spot. Ain't nobody holding me down.
      03-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #11
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

i know its sucks, but you might as well wipe your ass with that petition. these people dont give a fuck. Yet all cop cars are now murdered fords with limo tint; can barely identify the car if police are needed. 4 real tho, why are police cars so stealth now?? I mean patrolman should be identifiable, fucking joke
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #12
cruzzinlow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I didn't think so either but what the hell..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
I signed and sent it around. I'm sure It won't make a difference though.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #13
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Im friendly with the owner of the largest/best tint shop on Long Island. I've had all our cars tinted with him. A majority of the dealerships on the island had been using him for their jacked up tint sales. He's going to be closing down his business this December. All he's doing now is removals and the dealerships won't touch him with a ten foot pole. When all this was going down he pleaded with the state officials but they don't give 2 fucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #14
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

No it's not. CT is 35% law all around, NY state is 70% all around, with the baseline "no tint" from the factory is about 70%.

The only thing you can truly do in a sedan in NY is tint the rear windshield.

The really annoying thing is the bullshit of SUVs being exempt.

Thank you all for listening to my venting. I think if we all bombard them with daily letters, maybe something would happen... at least get that 70 down to 50 or 35.

It's just nonsense. I have 35% and I can clearly see inside the vehicle, and damn near see through both tinted windows with them up. Let's be honest, if someone's a danger to a cop, they're a danger regardless of whether their window is tinted or not. This is just nonsense.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      03-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #15
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
No it's not. CT is 35% law all around, NY state is 70% all around, with the baseline "no tint" from the factory is about 70%.

The only thing you can truly do in a sedan in NY is tint the rear windshield.

The really annoying thing is the bullshit of SUVs being exempt.

Thank you all for listening to my venting. I think if we all bombard them with daily letters, maybe something would happen... at least get that 70 down to 50 or 35.

It's just nonsense. I have 35% and I can clearly see inside the vehicle, and damn near see through both tinted windows with them up. Let's be honest, if someone's a danger to a cop, they're a danger regardless of whether their window is tinted or not. This is just nonsense.
I stand corrected. I misread the changes. My bad.
      03-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #16
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

We all just need to be "afflicted" with one of these medical conditions.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #17
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I stand corrected. I misread the changes. My bad.
It's ok, there aren't any changes... the tint law itself is exactly the same. The enforcement though, has now been added to the yearly inspection.

So your choices are now:

1. No tint
2. Remove tint, replace tint yearly
3. Find shady lane inspection center (and hope they don't kill your M3), and then have more people doing illegal things
4. Figure out a way to put a "dot" or cutout on each tint that you could convince one to "read" while doing your inspection
5. Move to another state/register in another state
6. Be entirely illegal and not get an inspection

Like I told Governer Cuomo - if they want to do something for the safety of the state, there are many things that could be achieved... limiting drunk drivers back on the road, requiring winter tires in winter weather, stricter road testing for teens, retesting the elderly for drivers license with medical clearance, more comprehensive driver training programs, etc.

I just see so many tinted windows, and I find it hard to believe that we are all going to just roll over and take it on this one. I'd honestly say that at least 20% of cars in my work parking lot has an "illegal tint" by NYS standards meaning anything other than clear glass on a PAS vehicle.
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #18
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

We all just need to be "afflicted" with one of these medical conditions.

Trust me, already looked into it. There could be argument made for drug sensitivity, as it's not just 1 medicine. This has to go through Albany, so when they get 20,000 people that suddenly have drug induced photosensitivity, they'll catch on and just make it the two rare genetic things.

Appreciate 0