Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

12-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

ED Agenda and Welt Tour

Last minute questions:
What's the typical itenerary for a European delivery?

I would presume, checking in, getting something to eat or drink, doing over the car, seeing the car and driving off. Is there more too it?

Also, can I request a tour of the Welt or is that something that must be scheduled in advance?

Munich Factory is closed but we went to Regensburg and toured that facility. Amazing!

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
What time is your ED scheduled for? I don't know about Welt tours, maybe go spend time in the museum, get some food/drink in the ED lounge, do your delivery, then head out.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
What time is your ED scheduled for? I don't know about Welt tours, maybe go spend time in the museum, get some food/drink in the ED lounge, do your delivery, then head out.
I'm supposed to check in by 950. We plan on arriving at 930.
Delivery is scheduled for 1120. Not sure what we do with the time leading up to that.

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
I'm supposed to check in by 950. We plan on arriving at 930.
Delivery is scheduled for 1120. Not sure what we do with the time leading up to that.
Museum could kill a couple hours.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

If I recall correctly the plant tour in English is at 11:45am. Takes about 2 hours but you said it was closed so scratch that off the list.

The welt is pretty self explanatory. You can download the app and use it as you visit the exhibits on your time. No need for a guided tour. The museum across the street is also a must.

Remember it's an experience so soak it all in and take your time.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #6
WilliamsF1
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Get your free engraved key chain in the gift shop. Not sure if other freebies are on offer now.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #7
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Arrive at the prescribed time and inquire if you could take delivery earlier (assuming this isn't your first ED). If it is, stick to the schedule and take it all in. If a veteran, they'll forego some of the typical content to expedite the process for you.

By the way, it's EASY to burn two hours wandering around the Welt and gift shop if you don't want to spend the whole time in the Premium Lounge stuffing your face and throwing back Munich's finest fermented libations. The museum is also outstanding, but don't rush yourself. A thorough tour of the museum takes a few hours.

You could also run over to Olymipiaplatz and go to the top of the TV tower to snap some pics of BMW and Munich if the weather is clear.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #8
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Heck, I spent almost the entire day at the Welt between delivery, the factory tour (which was 2 hours), walking around the Welt, the BMW Museum and eating breakfast and lunch in the Premium Lounge (which is a wonderful place to hang out). I certainly took it all in and loved it! It was my first ED, however...my next one will likely be streamlined at bit.

Enjoy and post pictures!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #9
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

My first ED and it's scheduled for Monday May 22nd and I have a few questions. Check in is at 10:30 and car delivery is scheduled for 11:50. I was hoping to head out on the road right after the delivery.

I will be arriving in Munich early Sat evening on the 20th, and staying close to the Welt. I was planning on checking out the museum on Sunday morning, then taking the train to Munich for the rest of the afternoon and evening. So here are my questions.

Can you see the factory on your own or do you have to take the tour? If you can see it on your own, would it make sense for me to get to the Welt at 9 am on Monday and see it first, then check in? Or is the factory tour with the guide, a real must do? I'm open to suggestions and your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
My first ED and it's scheduled for Monday May 22nd and I have a few questions. Check in is at 10:30 and car delivery is scheduled for 11:50. I was hoping to head out on the road right after the delivery.

I will be arriving in Munich early Sat evening on the 20th, and staying close to the Welt. I was planning on checking out the museum on Sunday morning, then taking the train to Munich for the rest of the afternoon and evening. So here are my questions.

Can you see the factory on your own or do you have to take the tour? If you can see it on your own, would it make sense for me to get to the Welt at 9 am on Monday and see it first, then check in? Or is the factory tour with the guide, a real must do? I'm open to suggestions and your assistance is greatly appreciated.
You can get anywhere in Munich on the Ubahn, so it's better to stay closer to Marienplatz than to the Welt. Many hotels are located just a few stops from Marienplatz, whereas there's very few restaurants and hotels around the Welt. The factory tour must be scheduled well in advance and when you get your European Delivery packet there will be instructions on how to schedule your tour. (You should already have received this by now!) It's not a "must", but when's the last time you had a tour of a modern auto factory? It's pretty amazing! There's only one English speaking tour daily at 11:45 AM, so that's in conflict with your delivery time. When you request your factory tour reservation, ask if your delivery time can be moved up to accommodate the factory tour. Make sure that your reservation request includes the fact that your are taking delivery of your car and give them the production number and/or VIN if you have it. I would recommend doing delivery no later than 10:00 AM to have time for the factory tour.

You want to go to the Welt before going to the Museum. Check in at the Premium Lounge upstairs and they will give you a free pass to the Museum, otherwise you have to pay. No problem to check in on Sunday even if your delivery is on Monday. Feel free to use the Premium with free food and beverage for both days, no problem.

On delivery day, get to the Welt as soon in the morning as you can. It opens at 7:30 AM on Mon-Sat. Browse the Welt before your delivery. This will also allow you to ask for an earlier delivery and factory tour if you weren't able to get one by e-mail. If you're able to take your delivery earlier, and do the factory tour, you'll be there most of the day. Don't forget to grab something to eat before the factory tour, since it's at 11:45 AM and lasts until approximately 1:45 PM.

Appreciate 1
Aloha Joe393.00
      04-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
You can get anywhere in Munich on the Ubahn, so it's better to stay closer to Marienplatz than to the Welt. Many hotels are located just a few stops from Marienplatz, whereas there's very few restaurants and hotels around the Welt. The factory tour must be scheduled well in advance and when you get your European Delivery packet there will be instructions on how to schedule your tour. (You should already have received this by now!) It's not a "must", but when's the last time you had a tour of a modern auto factory? It's pretty amazing! There's only one English speaking tour daily at 11:45 AM, so that's in conflict with your delivery time. When you request your factory tour reservation, ask if your delivery time can be moved up to accommodate the factory tour. Make sure that your reservation request includes the fact that your are taking delivery of your car and give them the production number and/or VIN if you have it. I would recommend doing delivery no later than 10:00 AM to have time for the factory tour.

You want to go to the Welt before going to the Museum. Check in at the Premium Lounge upstairs and they will give you a free pass to the Museum, otherwise you have to pay. No problem to check in on Sunday even if your delivery is on Monday. Feel free to use the Premium with free food and beverage for both days, no problem.

On delivery day, get to the Welt as soon in the morning as you can. It opens at 7:30 AM on Mon-Sat. Browse the Welt before your delivery. This will also allow you to ask for an earlier delivery and factory tour if you weren't able to get one by e-mail. If you're able to take your delivery earlier, and do the factory tour, you'll be there most of the day. Don't forget to grab something to eat before the factory tour, since it's at 11:45 AM and lasts until approximately 1:45 PM.
SD, Sincere Thanks for all the helpful info. Just one more quick question, if I'm not able to get an earlier delivery time and can't get the 11:45 tour time, does walking around the Welt allow me a good view of the assembly line?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #12
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
SD, Sincere Thanks for all the helpful info. Just one more quick question, if I'm not able to get an earlier delivery time and can't get the 11:45 tour time, does walking around the Welt allow me a good view of the assembly line?
The Welt is completely separate from the Munich factory tour. They are across the street from each other. The BMW Museum is a third location and separate entrance.

I had a late morning delivery and similar check-in time. I walked around the Welt, which has some cool exhibits, and spent time in the premium lounge (for people taking delivery) to eat, drink and immerse yourself in BMW before being called to take delivery.
Appreciate 1
Aloha Joe393.00
      04-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #13
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
The factory tour must be scheduled well in advance and when you get your European Delivery packet there will be instructions on how to schedule your tour. (You should already have received this by now!)
A correction to my original post: The instructions to schedule your factory should have come in your Reservation Letter, an e-mail from BMW European Delivery to your CA confirming your delivery date and time. The subject line will be "Reservation Letter - [your name] - Production Number xxxxxxx". If your CA has not forwarded this to you, get on the phone and have him forward this to you ASAP as it has important information that you need to know, including complete instructions for scheduling your factory tour. It also has information on how to reschedule your delivery date and/or time. People reschedule their delivery time all the time, but you want to do it ASAP if you want to take the factory tour, which is one of the benefits of your European Delivery.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #14
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A correction to my original post: The instructions to schedule your factory should have come in your Reservation Letter, an e-mail from BMW European Delivery to your CA confirming your delivery date and time. The subject line will be "Reservation Letter - [your name] - Production Number xxxxxxx". If your CA has not forwarded this to you, get on the phone and have him forward this to you ASAP as it has important information that you need to know, including complete instructions for scheduling your factory tour. It also has information on how to reschedule your delivery date and/or time. People reschedule their delivery time all the time, but you want to do it ASAP if you want to take the factory tour, which is one of the benefits of your European Delivery.
SD, Thanks again I have the letter and will request for the change now.
Mahalo & Aloha
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #15
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Just to add to what SD ///M4 wrote, when I did my ED 6/2016, I was offered two English-speaking tours, one at 11:45 and one at 1:15 PM. So at least sometimes there is more than one option. When you request your tour per your ED instructions, you will be emailed the available times. I thought it was a fascinating tour, and definitely recommend it.

Have fun! I can't wait to do ED again.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
Aloha Joe393.00
      04-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #16
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

This is a good read, ED wiki:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...opean_Delivery
Appreciate 0