BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Found this today on my new x5m only 2nd day. What can I pump out of BMW for this error. I'm going to apply the same level of scrutiny that I receive and that my wife does at our jobs. At quality control this is your job.... FAIL

I don't have the B.O system it's one silver speaker among the HK system

Update. My dealership will get me floor mats. More then happy. Great customer service, BMW has yet to disappoint.
Attached Images

Last edited by infamousdiz; 12-11-2016 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
luckymonkey88
Rep
Drives: BMW

Lol... oh my...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Must've been a gross human error at the factory. I'd take it to the dealer to swap with the HK grill.
      12-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
Yoyoniner
Private
Rep
Drives: -

At first I was like what's wrong the speakers look perfect... lol
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
Must've been a gross human error at the factory. I'd take it to the dealer to swap with the HK grill.
Sounds like an avoidable inconvenience that should be made right
      12-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

You should give the car to a homeless person, and make BMW give you a new one.

OK, seriously, you can "pump" a new speaker cover out of BMW. (and speaker, if that's wrong as well). That's it.

I'm not really sure why you'd expect more. Did the wrong speaker cause injury? Irreparable harm? Did your pets die as a result? Did you pick up a hitchhiker who laughed at your mismatched speaker grills? (emotional distress!)

Or some floor mats. Whatever.
Appreciate 1
SD-MAC10.50
      12-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #7
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post

OK, seriously, you can "pump" a new speaker cover out of BMW. (and speaker, if that's wrong as well). That's it.

I'm not really sure why you'd expect more. Did the wrong speaker cause injury? Irreparable harm? Did your pets die as a result? Did you pick up a hitchhiker who laughed at your mismatched speaker grills? (emotional distress!)

I want floor mats, I'm not asking for a lot but this is an over sight not something breaking that happens on new and old cars and out of control of the company. Complete lack of failure on quality control. It's not a big deal but I pay good more for high-end cars. If my wife has to take it in she loses productivity. She gets paid by patients seen. To smooth things over I feel floors mats would make me a very happy camper
      12-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:

Louv is right. What's the injury?

An obvious error by the manufacturer in which they gave you the wrong speaker or speaker cover. If it's the wrong speaker, you received a better speaker than you paid for. If it's just the cover (and your system still works), then the only "injury" is aesthetic/visual. You would have a clearer claim if there had just been a gaping hole in the door. Then, you didn't have the benefit of any speaker.

I hear you on having to take time out to get it replaced/changed, but it can be done at your next scheduled service. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
Quote:

Louv is right. What's the injury?

An obvious error by the manufacturer in which they gave you the wrong speaker or speaker cover. If it's the wrong speaker, you received a better speaker than you paid for. If it's just the cover (and your system still works), then the only "injury" is aesthetic/visual. You would have a clearer claim if there had just been a gaping hole in the door. Then, you didn't have the benefit of any speaker.

I hear you on having to take time out to get it replaced/changed, but it can be done at your next scheduled service. Good luck.
And I'm not that crazy guy asking for a new car, but in my job I get called out with I drop the ball why should this be any different? It's the principle of the matter not the actual issue, and again they are making it right getting the floor mats, this is customer service in a highly competitive industry the way it should be.

What would you give the quality control guy as a grade? My standards maybe higher but at 100k market they should be
      12-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #10
SD-MAC
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

I'd hate to be your server at a restaurant.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 06:11 PM   #11
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-MAC View Post
I'd hate to be your server at a restaurant.
I tip well for superior service, regular joint mistakes happen no biggie, depending on issue send drinks which most establishments worth their salt do. level of expectation is a sliding scale on price. but if you were the waiter at Andrea's at the Encore where they forgot my meal then oh yes they heard it. Don't call yourself 5 stars if you anit 5 stars.

(the reason why i want ape shit over that he never sent shit over or the manger where our bill was north of 1k for 4 people.)

Last edited by infamousdiz; 12-11-2016 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #12
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

Perhaps... it wasn't the Manufacturing Quality Control.
Perhaps... it was someone along the way who swapped it out.
Perhaps... it happened at the dealership.
Perhaps... it was prank.

"Complete Lack of Quality Control" might be stretching it a bit. Perhaps.

No one is arguing that it should be fixed. No one is arguing that it will be an inconvenience for you to bring it back there to have it corrected.

Perhaps the reaction is to the attitude of "they owe me" (beyond correcting the problem). Sure, that would be great Customer Service if they gave you a gift in recognition that they appreciate you had spend some of your valuable time to correct the issue. But your question seemed to be "How much can I get out of them?" Instead of "How could they make correcting the issue the most convenient to me?" Like mailing you the part. Or coming to your house (or work) to fix it, like Tesla does.

I understand the frustration. We pay big money for these toys; we want them to be perfect. But we don't actually live in a perfect world. Example: I bought my X6M as a CPO. They did an almost excellent job detailing it. Almost. But they left detailing spray all over the parts of the interior, and didn't wipe it off. So I spent a half hour (or maybe an hour) re-detailing it myself. Whatever. Now I know the car more intimately than I did before.

Find the Zen.
Appreciate your Fortune.
IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
What can I pump out of BMW for this error.
Me? Fix/replace it and move on. It's an extra 1-2 hours at the dealership that can be taken care of at your next service. Wasted time sucks, but get a loaner and move on. They just scratched the roof of mine at 2000 miles when replacing the faulty antenna. They expect to keep it up to one week while the entire roof is repainted. I'm not happy about it, but I'm not asking to be compensated.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Looks nice. Tell them you'll take all B&O grilles.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #15
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps... it wasn't the Manufacturing Quality Control.
Perhaps... it was someone along the way who swapped it out.
Perhaps... it happened at the dealership.
Perhaps... it was prank.

"Complete Lack of Quality Control" might be stretching it a bit. Perhaps.

No one is arguing that it should be fixed. No one is arguing that it will be an inconvenience for you to bring it back there to have it corrected.

Perhaps the reaction is to the attitude of "they owe me" (beyond correcting the problem). Sure, that would be great Customer Service if they gave you a gift in recognition that they appreciate you had spend some of your valuable time to correct the issue. But your question seemed to be "How much can I get out of them?" Instead of "How could they make correcting the issue the most convenient to me?" Like mailing you the part. Or coming to your house (or work) to fix it, like Tesla does.

I understand the frustration. We pay big money for these toys; we want them to be perfect. But we don't actually live in a perfect world. Example: I bought my X6M as a CPO. They did an almost excellent job detailing it. Almost. But they left detailing spray all over the parts of the interior, and didn't wipe it off. So I spent a half hour (or maybe an hour) re-detailing it myself. Whatever. Now I know the car more intimately than I did before.

Find the Zen.
Appreciate your Fortune.
IMHO.
If they offered to pick the car up and return it then would give that an A in customer service or send someone out but in no way shape or form will i do it. thats crazy talk. you should have called up and asked for a detail or them to offer. you cant correct mistakes you don't know about.
where do you draw the line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Me? Fix/replace it and move on. It's an extra 1-2 hours at the dealership that can be taken care of at your next service. Wasted time sucks, but get a loaner and move on. They just scratched the roof of mine at 2000 miles when replacing the faulty antenna. They expect to keep it up to one week while the entire roof is repainted. I'm not happy about it, but I'm not asking to be compensated.
again you should get something for lack of use IMO, why are you paying for their mistake, free M parts ECT something to offset your issue, and you shouldn't have to ask.

Lets get this straight im the guy who gives the roach coach 100 to buy everyone in the shop coffee ect. I appreciate customer service at a high level. i let the right people know when its sub par

this is the realm of the forum where everyone is critical and wouldn't have posted such an inflammatory headline with out accepting backlash but seem like about people are laissez-fair with their expectation for what is customer service. I dont expect much out of a 2 dollar steak but when I pay 30 a pound I expect much better
southwest delayed my flight 5 hours......here's a 150 voucher for everyone immediately, standard procedure that's great customer service. get what you pay for.
      12-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #16
SD-MAC
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Thanks for your enlightening posts on quality control and customer service. I think we've all learned a lot. Enjoy your M.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #17
arrivederci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
And I'm not that crazy guy asking for a new car, but in my job I get called out with I drop the ball why should this be any different? It's the principle of the matter not the actual issue, and again they are making it right getting the floor mats, this is customer service in a highly competitive industry the way it should be.

What would you give the quality control guy as a grade? My standards maybe higher but at 100k market they should be
I'm with you. This is a lapse of QA and an inconvenience. You shouldn't have to deal with that on a 100K car.

As of this Thursday, I won't have driven my car in 4 weeks! Originally scheduled for a 1 day appointment for:

1) 1.2k service
2) Replace SOS module that broke in the first week
3) Winter tire set arrived with 2 left fronts - one tire needed to be flipped

All that was done plus:

1) When coding the SOS module, they broke another - part ordered from Germany - 2 week ETA
2) When I stopped by 2 weeks ago to get some personal belongings out of the car, I found a fresh door ding on drivers side rear door - can't PDR it - off to the body shop!

So a word of warning. A visit to the dealer CAN be more than a minor inconvenience. I'm working with the service manager now and they are talking to their area rep about making this right. In my case I'm frustrating that they damaged my car and now I need paintwork. And my payment to BMW financial this month seems a bit high if I'm driving an X3 or X5 loaner.

On another note, I can say that the X5M feels almost unrelated to the X5...night and day. And the X3 drives so much better than the X5. I'd be all over an X3M if they made one considering the magic they did to turn an X5 into an X5M.

Last edited by arrivederci; 12-12-2016 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 3
      12-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #18
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrivederci View Post
I'm with you. This is a lapse of QA and an inconvenience. You shouldn't have to deal with that on a 100K car.

As of this Thursday, I won't have driven my car in 4 weeks! Originally scheduled for a 1 day appointment for:

1) 1.2k service
2) Replace SOS module that broke in the first week
3) Winter tire set arrived with 2 left fronts - one tire needed to be flipped

All that was done plus:

1) When coding the SOS module, they broke another - part ordered from Germany - 2 week ETA
2) When I stopped by 2 weeks ago to get some personal belongings out of the car, I found a fresh door ding on drivers side rear door - can't PDR it - off to the body shop!

So a word of warning. A visit to the dealer CAN be more than a minor inconvenience. I'm working with the service manager now and they are talking to their area rep about making this right. In my case I'm frustrating that they damaged my car and now I need paintwork. And my payment to BMW financial this month seems a bit high if I'm driving an X3 or X5 loaner.

On another note, I can say that the X5M feels almost unrelated to the X5...night and day. And the X3 drives so much better than the X5. I'd be all over an X3M if they made one considering the magic they did to turn an X5 into an X5M.

Its all about making it right, when unforced errors are made then it time for compensation.

Let us know how it all plays out.
      12-14-2016, 05:21 AM   #19
SilverRevlis
Motiphd
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 M Sport

With BMW's "Just in time" manufacturing process, how in the hell could that happen? That means somewhere there is an X5M with one HK speaker cover, and the rest are B&O.....wow!
2010 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance (hers/retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #20
Tightt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M/2024 M3 X-Comp

Quote:
I tip well for superior service, regular joint mistakes happen no biggie, depending on issue send drinks which most establishments worth their salt do. level of expectation is a sliding scale on price. but if you were the waiter at Andrea's at the Encore where they forgot my meal then oh yes they heard it. Don't call yourself 5 stars if you anit 5 stars.

(the reason why i want ape shit over that he never sent shit over or the manger where our bill was north of 1k for 4 people.)
I'm with you!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #21
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

If you lease, no big deal and it's looks like they made it right (sorry didn't read all responses). If you bought it, you have to worry about eventually trading in and the hassles you get. Bottom line, if you own it have them fix the error correctly and floor mats won't resolve the issues you will have in trading.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #22
arrivederci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Its all about making it right, when unforced errors are made then it time for compensation.

Let us know how it all plays out.
Supposed to get it back today...1 day shy of being at the dealer for 4 weeks.

Looks like BMW offered to cover one month of my payment. The dealer is going to offer something in addition - haven't heard yet. Still pissed about what happened and how long it has taken but this certainly helps me feel better about it.

Anyways, hopefully the speaker grill replacement was routine and easy for you.
Appreciate 0