Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

11-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
onetrader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMBM3,CCB,6MT,Exec,Lgt,FL

Did not like MPSS. Anyone else with me?

I'm assuming my opinion is very unpopular, but the Pilot Super Sports on the M3 just didn't do it for me. I experienced a ton of wheel hop, and a rough ride (granted I live in Chicago, and roads are shit here). To be fair I bought the car used with 7600 miles on them, but tread on tires looked ok.

I just put on some Sottozero's for the winter, and it's a much better ride. Anyone have any other tires that are also well recommended for the summer?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
longkid
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F82

That's weird.. I never experience wheel hop in my f82. Did u check ur tire pressure, wheel alignment, balance etc?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

What tires have you run in the past?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrader View Post
I'm assuming my opinion is very unpopular, but the Pilot Super Sports on the M3 just didn't do it for me. I experienced a ton of wheel hop, and a rough ride (granted I live in Chicago, and roads are shit here). To be fair I bought the car used with 7600 miles on them, but tread on tires looked ok.

I just put on some Sottozero's for the winter, and it's a much better ride. Anyone have any other tires that are also well recommended for the summer?
hmm i think the supersports are a great tire for street, light track. they are very quiet and ride very well. Obv if you are comparing to a winter tire with different, lower performance compound it will ride much better but have much worse steering feel and handling grip.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MY M4CP

I always thought they were noisy. Lots of tyre roar on motorways (highways). I've now got Contact Sport 6 and they're much quieter.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
onetrader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMBM3,CCB,6MT,Exec,Lgt,FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
What tires have you run in the past?
These were my first tires in the M3. The dealer is storing them over the winter for me, but I honestly don't know if it's worth putting them back on or buying a new set of contis or something comparable.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrader View Post
These were my first tires in the M3. The dealer is storing them over the winter for me, but I honestly don't know if it's worth putting them back on or buying a new set of contis or something comparable.
I meant on past cars. Im tying to see if you possibly driven on anything similar. The MPSS are amazing tires, as you can search around to see everyones reviews.

Also your tire pressure might have made the ride bad, 38+ psi will give you that "wheel hop" feeling and hard ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #8
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

I find that the MPSS are great tires but they have a lot more impact harshness than the previous PS2. You get better turn in and a lot more life, though.

If you want something that rides nicer, there are a lot of people that got the Continentals on their 2016+ M3/4s - They ride much nicer. You give up some cornering grip, but I didn't see a huge different in braking or acceleration with the Contis.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

You are experiencing wheel hop because the car is undertired from the factory. It should have more contact patch than a 275 section can handle. Any STREET tire will be overwhelmed.

I moved up to a 295 and it's so much better, I can obviously still overwhelm the tires, but not nearly as easy.

I don't think for the money will you find a tire that provides the grip, durability, wet traction and cost over the supersports.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #10
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Here's an opinion: I think alot of people on here have an opinion on the MPSS because of performance they see during the first 5,000 miles, or because they had them on other vehicles, etc.

I've got 20,000 miles on mine (18" wheels) and I can say that for almost 50% of their life they have not suited the vehicle. Their performance is great and they've stayed well balanced. No bubbles. But they are noisy and ride hard. I'm upsizing to 265/285 continental dw tires personally.

Wheel hop on these happens but you should look into your suspension settings and wheel pressure before totally blaming the tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

DW will be much worse for grip and life, trust me. I went through 2 sets on my E46 M3, got 10,000 miles on one set and 9,000 miles on the next. I am not into burn outs or anything like that and I don't ring it's neck everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 03:27 AM   #12
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
I've found the MPSS are great for "ideal" conditions (dry, warm). Rough ride yes but I'm ok with that. However I've found them to be entirely disappointing in wet or otherwise less than ideal conditions.

Living in Seattle I've gone with Continental DWS06 tires for my winter tires. I can get away with them as winters because winter here (for the most part) is wet and cold vs Chicago style snow and ice.

However driving around in the DWS tires in wet and being able to compare it to the MPSSs has really helped remind me how useless the Super Sports are in cool wet weather. Even 55 degrees and wet theres no comparison. Frankly, even in 75 degrees and wet there's no comparison. The DWS tires are like freaking glue in less than ideal conditions.

I'll still put the Super Sports back on come spring - just calling out their useful season is far narrower than I would have liked.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 03:52 AM   #13
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I used to experience wheel hop on the stock 275 PSS tires for the first 5000 miles of their life. After they started to wear a bit, it stopped. Later I upgraded the rear tires to 295 PSS and put the stock rear tires in the front in hopes to improve traction. Traction improved a little bit, but after having this setup for 5 months now I can't say I'm impressed. Not sure what my next setup will be, but it's definitely not going to be PSS.

I also agree with everyone else that the PSS are considerably noisier than the PS2.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #14
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
I find that the MPSS are great tires but they have a lot more impact harshness than the previous PS2. You get better turn in and a lot more life, though.

If you want something that rides nicer, there are a lot of people that got the Continentals on their 2016+ M3/4s - They ride much nicer. You give up some cornering grip, but I didn't see a huge different in braking or acceleration with the Contis.
My car came with the Contis and I have no issues with handling or road noise but off the line traction is pretty bad with wheel hop many times. Your post is the first time I've heard the Contis are less noisy. Is this the consensus of people who have had both?

I was thinking about going to the RE-11 even though I don't track my car just to get some more grip off the line.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

The car makes too much power for the tires BMW provides as has been said. Part of the harsh ride is the stiff shoulders the PSS have, the stiff shoulders give you better turn in to it's a compromise. They do get loud especially on concrete and more so as they age.

I went from a 19" to a 18" for better ride comfort here in the NYC area and I went with PSS up front and R888 in the rear with a 305 width. Traction isn't much of concern anymore and the ride is def. improved. I gave up rain traction so I just drive slower and possibly tire life. So far I'm at 3k miles on the R888 for DD duties and still have tons of life left.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #16
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
My car came with the Contis and I have no issues with handling or road noise but off the line traction is pretty bad with wheel hop many times. Your post is the first time I've heard the Contis are less noisy. Is this the consensus of people who have had both?

I was thinking about going to the RE-11 even though I don't track my car just to get some more grip off the line.
My car is a daily driver come rain or shine. It originally had the MPSS but after reading CanAutM3's thread on using the M5's 295x 35x 19 on the rear I initially decided to go down that route. Shortly afterwards the EVO Summer tyre test came out and the overall winner was the Continental Contact Sport 6. As I don't need absolute dry lateral grip (which the MPSS excelled at but fell short in almost every other department) I decided to give the Conti 6 tyres a shot. I've fitted 295 x 35 x 19 in the rear and 265's in the front. They're nothing short of a revelation. Much quieter, nowhere near as harsh on rough asphalt, much better forward traction in dry/damp/wet conditions. Traction is helped no doubt by the extra rubber ( 11.6" tread width compared to 9.9" stock). So, my only concern really is tyre life as, historically, Conti's haven't fared well in this respect. But time will tell with these, the latest generation.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #17
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

The MPSS as others have said works well in dry heat, such as Arizona or Florida when we are not getting obliterated by hurricanes. For a summer tire, they are the measuring stick.

They are quiet...much more quiet than the MPS AS3+ I currently have on 19s with 255/275 setup.

If you track...have track tire setup. If you live in the north/northeast/Midwest, get winter specific tires in 18 inch setup.

Where I live in NE Florida, believe it or not, the temps dip below freezing. I have noticed marginal drop-off in dry heat conditions and improved performance in rain and cooler temps with the AS3+.

FYI...fourth generation MPSS coming out soon.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #18
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO17 View Post
Quote:

My car is a daily driver come rain or shine. It originally had the MPSS but after reading CanAutM3's thread on using the M5's 295x 35x 19 on the rear I initially decided to go down that route. Shortly afterwards the EVO Summer tyre test came out and the overall winner was the Continental Contact Sport 6. As I don't need absolute dry lateral grip (which the MPSS excelled at but fell short in almost every other department) I decided to give the Conti 6 tyres a shot. I've fitted 295 x 35 x 19 in the rear and 265's in the front. They're nothing short of a revelation. Much quieter, nowhere near as harsh on rough asphalt, much better forward traction in dry/damp/wet conditions. Traction is helped no doubt by the extra rubber ( 11.6" tread width compared to 9.9" stock). So, my only concern really is tyre life as, historically, Conti's haven't fared well in this respect. But time will tell with these, the latest generation.
Thanks for this. Unfortunately I don't believe the Conti 6 is available in the US. Our cars came with the 5P. Not sure how they compare.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #19
Harveyd396
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 , MT, Mineral White

I had all the issues mentioned in this thread, bad wheel hop even with the conti 305's. I had to try the MT street SS drag radial, 305/35-19 on stock rims. Here the good, the bad and the ugly. The good, no wheel hop, incredible traction, no spinning at all even 1st gear. They hook like crazy, never felt acceleration like that. The bad, the traction control doesn't like this tire, activates in turns, puts on the brakes for no reason, cruise control shuts down in a turn. The ugly, they rub slightly over bumps, look a little funny too big. Car handles strange over 60 mph, back end wiggles slightly. Very dangerous in heavy rain, just slow down, be careful. I'm glad they don't last long, will go with potenza re71r next round.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #20
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveyd396 View Post
I had all the issues mentioned in this thread, bad wheel hop even with the conti 305's. I had to try the MT street SS drag radial, 305/35-19 on stock rims. Here the good, the bad and the ugly. The good, no wheel hop, incredible traction, no spinning at all even 1st gear. They hook like crazy, never felt acceleration like that. The bad, the traction control doesn't like this tire, activates in turns, puts on the brakes for no reason, cruise control shuts down in a turn. The ugly, they rub slightly over bumps, look a little funny too big. Car handles strange over 60 mph, back end wiggles slightly. Very dangerous in heavy rain, just slow down, be careful. I'm glad they don't last long, will go with potenza re71r next round.
Your tire sizing is the reason the traction control doesn't like it. Your tire sizing is screwing up the traction control algorithm.

That tire is not designed for street use on a regular basis and is downright dangerous in rain. That is truly a strip tire designed for the ability to drive too and from the drag strip, not a tire designed to both provide traction and be daily driven like a potenza re71r is...
      11-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #21
Harveyd396
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 , MT, Mineral White

Can you explain exactly what is going on with the traction control. I'm running the original Conti 5 from the rear on the front, 275/35-19.
Do you think 305/30 re71r will have traction out of the hole like the MT.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #22
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this. Unfortunately I don't believe the Conti 6 is available in the US. Our cars came with the 5P. Not sure how they compare.
Tire Rack have them.
Appreciate 0