10-03-2016, 11:50 PM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

2012 M5 - Views, opinions, feedback etc

Hey guys,

I am currently contemplating picking up a 2012 M5 in Frozen Black. The thing that attracted me to it is the Frozen Black plus I have been missing that car feeling since I sold my 12' E92 M3. Currently have a 12' X5M in Monte Carlo Blue.

Anyway, trying to see if it would be a good decision or not. Are there any issues, and problems that I should know about this generation of M5?

If anyone has any experiences with both (12' X5M and M5) any feedback is appreciated. I haven't made up my mind or anything so I am open to being persuaded either one (to go ahead or not to).

Biggest concern with M5 is RWD and it snows quite a bit here. But then again, I drove my C63AMG with winter tires, as did I the M3. Thanks for all the help and suggestions in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 01:42 AM   #2
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

I have both the E70 X5M and F10 M5 at the same time. Well both basically have the S63 engine (M5 has valvetronic) so oil consumption is always a concern. I broke in my cars hard and I don't have oil consumption problem with either of them (plus the M6 I have in California). But since you are buying used, maybe you should check to see if the car you are considering has the consumption problem.

Some here have to top it off after as little as 300-400 miles, it would annoy me if I had to do that.

As for driving it on snow, personally I don't think it's a big deal (BMW's DSC is very intrusive, much more so than MB and Porsche). I would suggest taking a BMW driving class (wet skidpad) if you are not sure of your skill level, it will improve your ability to handle slippery surface significantly.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks for your input. I have no issues with driving in snow with winter tires as I have done that with other high performance vehicles. I just wondered how the car itself handles and if it can be tame enough. If you had to pick one out of your x5m and m5, what would it be?

I guess what I am trying to get at is, which one should I pick cause as of right now with all my other vehicles I only have room for 1.

Looking forward to hearing from other members as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

I currently have both as well. Well at least for the next few weeks until the X5M gets traded in. I use the X5M for everything that I would not want to put my M5 through. To me the sedan feels like it needs to be protected whereas the SUV does not. For example I'll take the X5M to the beach, to the father-in-laws farm, etc. I would never consider taking the M5 to those types of places. The X5M is like an usable M5. So perhaps in your case the SUV would be better for your intended use. Plus with mdm or traction off the X5M turns into a rear drive biased awd system. I assume extra ground clearance and awd with proper snow tires are a plus for winter conditions. I can't comment on that though, because Hawaii. Good luck with your decision!
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks Kimo.

Yea, snow is the only factor sort of holding me back. But then I think if I could do winter with C63 and M3, the M5 shouldn't be much better. I just got the X5M 3 months ago and wasn't thinking of switching this soon, but I miss having a car feeling which a SUV just doesn't do even though it's quick in the straight line.

Then I came across this Frozen Black M5 and it looks amazing and the gears in my head started turning. Gonna be interesting conversation with the family trying to explain the switch so soon, considering I only kept the M3 for 9 months. lol. I need help.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Also what are the differences in the 2012 version vs the newer 2013/14 and up are concerned? I keep reading LCI here and there not sure what exactly that is.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

My opinion you would trash the M5 in an Alberta winter. Sure snow tires might get you through a mild winter, but if what they say is true we are in for a real bad winter this year. I know when Edmonton gets bad, it is real bad. When the streets get 4" ruts you will be ripping shit off. I would not want to be out even with the best snow tires and 2WD. Guess I've got spoiled; now that I do a lot of highway driving in the winter, it is 4x4 or AWD only for peace of mind.

I've owned an X5M, loved it but I found the ride with the non-contour seats was just too harsh for long drives. Other than that, I did love it for year round use. It is a beast in all conditions.

As for an '12 vs '13/14 M5, mechanically there isn't anything really all that different other than a Comp Pack car. The LCIs have a few nice changes in the interior and infotainment system that I like. I've owned a '12 as well as the '14 I currently have.
      10-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #8
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Well that doesn't bode well for what I am trying to do then I guess. Especially since it's a Frozen Black paint and if it really is that bad I wouldn't want to ruin the car. Perhaps I should ride through this winter with the X5M and then worry about changing next summer. Obviously this one won't be around then and the way it looks is the only reason that got me thinking.

I have other vehicles I can drive but knowing me I'll never able to sit on these resting in the garage for that long. I tried that with my c63 and could get through a month barely and threw on winters and started driving it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #9
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

BMW's DSC is very intrusive, much more so than MB and Porsche (not counting Audi's AWD RS6/7), so as long as you have it on, it's safe to drive on snow.

Between the two if I can only have one, I will pick the faster car every time.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #10
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
BMW's DSC is very intrusive, much more so than MB and Porsche (not counting Audi's AWD RS6/7), so as long as you have it on, it's safe to drive on snow.

Alberta winters are more than just 'driving on snow'. It is literally almost 6 months of hell (frozen) on earth some years. People living in Alaska, Siberia and Antarctica know what I am talking about.
      10-06-2016, 04:28 AM   #11
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post

Alberta winters are more than just 'driving on snow'. It is literally almost 6 months of hell (frozen) on earth some years. People living in Alaska, Siberia and Antarctica know what I am talking about.
Lol, alright if you are taking about ice then I guess that's a different ball game.

I wouldn't want to drive on that for 6 months out of a year, on any car.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

the '12 came with old navigation system, they only upgraded to the current nav from '13 onwards. the old nav is very slow and looks dated. It's from '14 that they made quite a few improvements (especially in the cabin isolation). the '12 and '13 have lots of road noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #13
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

I have decided to pass on this unit guys. As much as I like the Frozen Black. Think I am going to enjoy my X5M for a little while longer than 3 months, especially over the upcoming winters. Will lower it and perhaps some other little stuff to make it more to my liking.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 03:53 AM   #14
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

M5 and snow

Hmmmm

You know when it snows then melts and you get a layer of slush? Try pulling out of a junction in a M5 and you creep forward as the torque overpowers traction and the power is cut, leaving you frantically pushing buttons, feathering the gas and sh1tting yourself in case a truck comes

You know when cars have been driving in deep snow and build up large dirty ice blocks behind the tyres which become huge and fall off? Hit one of those ice blocks with your downward facing radiator and plastic gearbox sump and see what happens.

You know when its snowed heavily and cars form ruts where the snow compresses? I hope you like driving a snow plow, because that's what you'll have. Problem is you have 2 coolers mounted way down low which are extremely vulnerable.

In my opinion, the M5 with snow tyres is capable of driving in light snow but as soon as there's any depth, its entirely and utterly out of its element.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #15
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

^All good points. Which is why I made the decision that I did. That and some other factors like getting a newer version when the right time comes etc and the fact that M6 is what I truly want.
Appreciate 0