BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Will 225/45/18, 245/45/18 rub?

I picked up a base (and I mean base - no frills 33k mi 6m) 128i a few weeks ago.

I took it to a DE a few weeks ago and ran the 16" R compounds that were on my E36 M3, and then used to autox my M Roadster. Needless to say they are old and one is now corded.

I will probably only run two or three more DEs and maybe two autox this year with the 1. My buddy offered me the low mileage tires from his 350Z.

I can pick up a set of 18x8 et 47 rims from craigslist, or a set ot 18x8.5 et 48.

The question is will the taller tire 26" in front 26.7 in rear vs. 25" rub.

I know the speedometer will be off, I know I will induce more understeer than if I used a square setup, and I know they wont be as fast as R compounds, but will be faster then the brand new run flats the PO put on the car shortly before his wife decided to sell it.

Thanks

Last edited by Tommm; 07-04-2016 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #3
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
anyone?
Honestly with non-m-sport (you didn't mention what options/suspension on your car, assuming non sport) you might be okay for now but you're taking away clearance in the event you update your suspension...

realizing you're getting cheap tires...may be worth looking around for a used set of the correct size rather than your friend's tires.

I just spent a lot of time researching and chose a fitment that I thought would be no problem based on results of others, and sure enough it rubs on one side in the rear (so far). Didn't want to mess with rolling fenders etc, but these cars are pretty restricted in fitment terms.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Get GOOD tires!

I bet Gary@TireRack would know.

The only thing you should do is get the best tires you can afford. Especially if you are replacing the RFT's... you really need a top tier tire like the Michelin PSS. Some of the cheap-er (non-RFT)tires can really our cars handle squirrelly.

I am not sure about those wheel sizes and tires. I bet IF you go onto TireRack's website you can find the answer when you plug in your car's build specs

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
You're going to want to use a 40 profile in the front and a 35 profile in the rear. A tire that tall in the front, especially with the 8.5 ET48, will likely contact your suspension on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep

Thanks to all who helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Honestly with non-m-sport (you didn't mention what options/suspension on your car, assuming non sport) you might be okay for now but you're taking away clearance in the event you update your suspension...

realizing you're getting cheap tires...may be worth looking around for a used set of the correct size rather than your friend's tires.

I just spent a lot of time researching and chose a fitment that I thought would be no problem based on results of others, and sure enough it rubs on one side in the rear (so far). Didn't want to mess with rolling fenders etc, but these cars are pretty restricted in fitment terms.
That's my thought. Free is nice, but if they scratch my paint I would be pissed.

The car has zero performance options. The gal I bought it from won it in a raffle. Butt warmers and metallic paint are it. But with 32k miles on it, garaged every winter under a cover, etc. I figured with my M roadster, and half a 944 that we just track this would be a nice daily driver that I can track and autocross a few times a year.

the stock diameter is 25" and the ones I can get for nothing are 26" in the front and 26.7 in the rear. Because I am not sure the Z tires wont rub, I am picking up some 17x8 style 112s for winter or track tires, and have 16x7.5 with the corded R compound from the E36 M3 i sold a few years ago,so my I should be able to find good tires from my spec boxster friends in a month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I bet Gary@TireRack would know.

The only thing you should do is get the best tires you can afford. Especially if you are replacing the RFT's... you really need a top tier tire like the Michelin PSS. Some of the cheap-er (non-RFT)tires can really our cars handle squirrelly.

I am not sure about those wheel sizes and tires. I bet IF you go onto TireRack's website you can find the answer when you plug in your car's build specs

Dackel
I have new drive guard RFTs for daily driving. Unfortunately the prior owner put them on about two thousand miles before his wife decided it was time to sell her car. I would have preferred a different tire, but this will work for my 100 mile a day commute.

I know I should get the best tire i can afford, but I don't think a stock no option (metallic paint and butt warmers are the only options) 128i can get everything out of a set of pilot sports (my M roadster doesn't). maybe 90% out of a set of hoosiers, but I don't want to spend $ on tires for the track this season, hence the used tires. Next season I will probably get a new set of R compounds (I don't want to store them over the winter in my garage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
You're going to want to use a 40 profile in the front and a 35 profile in the rear. A tire that tall in the front, especially with the 8.5 ET48, will likely contact your suspension on the inside.
Thank you. That's my concern.

If anyone has tried the taller tire I would appreciate hearing.

Thanks
Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

I had some rubbing issues with 245/35-19 on 8 x 19" ET47 (BMW) wheels in back. I don't think 245/30 would have cleared either. The rubbing was on the outer edges of the tires. I also had rubbing issues in the front with the same wheels and 225/35-19 in front. Problem solved with the slightly greater offset of E82 wheels and 215/40-18 and 245/35-18 tires.

I'd like to be able to use 225/40-18 and 255/35-18 tires to have more choices for tires, but I don't know if they will also produce clearance issues.

Edit: Just read the post from the sticky notes which says the 225 and 255 sizes above will fit a stock suspension without rubbing. I wonder if that is still true if the suspension has been updated to M3 suspension arms (front and rear)?

Last edited by MAMSport; 07-23-2016 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: read post in sticky notes
Appreciate 0