BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
es1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

When in R how to set Rear camera as default

When I select Reverse gear I want Rear camera to activate first not Bird's View as I have it now. How do I make that setting? As of now when in R default is Bird's view camera instead of Rear view camera. Thanks in advance .
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:17 AM   #2
s4008616
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 991 Carrera S

When I am in R reverse camera is default and I actually want birds eye to be in default.
BMW E92 335i 2008 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

not possible. i would like the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

I rather have the birds eye view as default.

Any way to do that?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

From my experience Bird's eye view aka surround view only comes on default when you move the gear to reverse and you are very close to an object. I haven't tested how close you need to be though.

Otherwise in reverse, it is rear view only.
      07-03-2016, 03:21 AM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

The vehicle will remember your preferred default. You can toggle viewers by pressing idrive controller down into the floor. Then, next time you put car in "R," it will be on last setting.

With PMA modules, you additionally have option for Auto-PDC to enable when driving slowly close to other object.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 07:04 AM   #7
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
The vehicle will remember your preferred default. You can toggle viewers by pressing idrive controller down into the floor. Then, next time you put car in "R," it will be on last setting.

With PMA modules, you additionally have option for Auto-PDC to enable when driving slowly close to other object.
I'm 99.9999% sure this is incorrect... The default setting when you shift to reverse is rear view only with a back up camera regardless which view you had it last and the car does not remember your last setting.
      07-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I'm 99.9999% sure this is incorrect... The default setting when you shift to reverse is rear view only with a back up camera regardless which view you had it last and the car does not remember your last setting.
I am 100% sure that is the way it works in my cars. I like looking over my shoulder for rear view when backing up while utilizing a combination of side mirrors plus top view for parallel parking as well as pulling into spaces to visualize curbs and lane markers. Mine maintain the view I want.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:
I am 100% sure that is the way it works in my cars. I like looking over my shoulder for rear view when backing up while utilizing a combination of side mirrors plus top view for parallel parking as well as pulling into spaces to visualize curbs and lane markers. Mine maintain the view I want.
There is only two view options ( unless you have DAP+, then additional option is the wide view angle ). Have you tried putting your car in reverse then press down the idrive knob for surround view aka birds eye view and then shut off the car, come back and put in reverse to get the surround view again? It doesn't work for my car or others here and apparently the reason for this thread.
      07-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #10
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
There is only two view options ( unless you have DAP+, then additional option is the wide view angle ). Have you tried putting your car in reverse then press down the idrive knob for surround view aka birds eye view and then shut off the car, come back and put in reverse to get the surround view again? It doesn't work for my car or others here and apparently the reason for this thread.
Would like to see that as well. If this indeed does work on his car, maybe we can make a diff of the cafd files? Is that possible (with Esys)?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #11
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have 5AT. I do not have to shut car off, but it works if I do that too. I use top-view and it always comes up when car is put in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #12
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have 5AT. I do not have to shut car off, but it works if I do that too. I use top-view and it always comes up when car is put in reverse.
So you are saying if a car is equipped with ACC Stop & Go option then it allows the car to remember the last reverse camera view? Maybe that should have been clarified, because a car not equipped with 5AT does not allow that.
      07-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #13
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So you are saying if a car is equipped with ACC Stop & Go option then it allows the car to remember the last reverse camera view? Maybe that should have been clarified, because a car not equipped with 5AT does not allow that.
No. I am saying I have Drivers Assist Plus which also happens to have ACC options (5AT vs 5AS). I have 360° on F15 and 270° view on F10.

EDIT: Just to be clear, my cars are coded. However, I did not code anything special for this function to work as desired. Further, ACC has nothing to do with this function working.

Last edited by Almaretto; 07-07-2016 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #14
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:
No. I am saying I have Drivers Assist Plus which also happens to have ACC options (5AT vs 5AS). I have 360° on F15 and 270° view on F10.

EDIT: Just to be clear, my cars are coded. However, I did not code anything special for this function to work as desired. Further, ACC has nothing to do with this function working.
Can you explain why others doesn't work and yours do? It makes no sense.
      07-20-2016, 02:49 AM   #15
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Can you explain why others doesn't work and yours do? It makes no sense.
I apologize for the delayed response. For whatever reason, my subscriptions do not seem to send me instant email notifications.

I am not sure if it because my F15 has PMA_PDC module which allows for Auto-PDC when slowly approaching objects from any side or the fact that I am rather familiar with both vehicles controls so much that I have, slightly different, though very fluid no-look synaptic (muscle memory) button changes.

Nevertheless, I am no longer completely convinced. After briefly testing, I thought I may be 100% wrong. Then, I checked the owner's manual and now the only thing of which I am sure is my confusion. I retested, and the following were my initial findings:
  • F10: PDC button or Reverse = vehicle remembers my preferred top-view.
  • F15: only PDC button remembers my preference & "R" always defaults to rear camera.
And, the 2014 X5 Driver's Manual (Top View Section, Pg 156-157) describes my original assumptions:

I am not sure yet the reason for the differences in the tested chassis behavior and conflicting manual information. Other than HU_NBT, they use different relevant ECU modules; but, I will further test and, if need be, compare CAFD's to see if I can replicate desired behavior.

Last edited by Almaretto; 07-20-2016 at 02:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 07:00 AM   #16
newtlicious
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6 50i

My car defaults to the rear camera because I have it selected in the menu. If I put the car in reverse, the rear camera comes on and a single downward press of the iDrive controller will deselect the rear view camera to get bird's eye view. Another press of the iDrive controller reselects the rear view camera and I get that back. Activating the bird's eye while the gear selector is in "D" is a different procedure.

- Patrick
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 07:53 AM   #17
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtlicious View Post
My car defaults to the rear camera because I have it selected in the menu. If I put the car in reverse, the rear camera comes on and a single downward press of the iDrive controller will deselect the rear view camera to get bird's eye view. Another press of the iDrive controller reselects the rear view camera and I get that back. Activating the bird's eye while the gear selector is in "D" is a different procedure.

- Patrick
Can you explain, how you have selected this in the menu? As far as I know there is no camera settings in the menu. Only in the camera itself and its only for brightness/contrast etc and not view screen.
      07-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #18
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I apologize for the delayed response. For whatever reason, my subscriptions do not seem to send me instant email notifications.

I am not sure if it because my F15 has PMA_PDC module which allows for Auto-PDC when slowly approaching objects from any side or the fact that I am rather familiar with both vehicles controls so much that I have, slightly different, though very fluid no-look synaptic (muscle memory) button changes.

Nevertheless, I am no longer completely convinced. After briefly testing, I thought I may be 100% wrong. Then, I checked the owner's manual and now the only thing of which I am sure is my confusion. I retested, and the following were my initial findings:
  • F10: PDC button or Reverse = vehicle remembers my preferred top-view.
  • F15: only PDC button remembers my preference & "R" always defaults to rear camera.
And, the 2014 X5 Driver's Manual (Top View Section, Pg 156-157) describes my original assumptions:

I am not sure yet the reason for the differences in the tested chassis behavior and conflicting manual information. Other than HU_NBT, they use different relevant ECU modules; but, I will further test and, if need be, compare CAFD's to see if I can replicate desired behavior.
Thanks for your follow up. I already knew that you can select the default setting view in birds eye view in the E chassis cars.. my 2010 535i and 2013 X5 did this.. and I immediately noticed this and griped about it when I first picked up my F15. But it is not possible for the F chassis cars without coding, and I'm not sure if this is even possible.
      07-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #19
newtlicious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Can you explain, how you have selected this in the menu? As far as I know there is no camera settings in the menu. Only in the camera itself and its only for brightness/contrast etc and not view screen.
Sure! When you put the car in reverse you get some kind of view of the car, either rear view or bird's eye. Either way, there are tiles on the left of your iDrive screen that allow you to make changes to settings. The top most tile is the rear view camera. Mine defaults with a check mark indicating that the rear view camera is active. If you select that tile, pressing down on the iDrive controller will toggle back and forth between the rear and birds eye views by checking and unchecking the rear view camera. Again, this only works if the gear lever is in "R." I hope that helps!

- Patrick
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #20
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtlicious View Post
Sure! When you put the car in reverse you get some kind of view of the car, either rear view or bird's eye. Either way, there are tiles on the left of your iDrive screen that allow you to make changes to settings. The top most tile is the rear view camera. Mine defaults with a check mark indicating that the rear view camera is active. If you select that tile, pressing down on the iDrive controller will toggle back and forth between the rear and birds eye views by checking and unchecking the rear view camera. Again, this only works if the gear lever is in "R." I hope that helps!

- Patrick
I think that only toggles the view back and forth to see rear view/ bird's eye view and not "set" it in that particular view.

Try this.. do your setting as mentioned above and set it as Bird's eye view aka surround view. Then shut off the car turn it back on and put it in reverse and let me know if you are in bird's eye view or the standard rear view. ( note make sure there isn't anything obstructing your PDC while doing this )

Last edited by Kzang; 07-20-2016 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #21
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your follow up. I already knew that you can select the default setting view in birds eye view in the E chassis cars.. my 2010 535i and 2013 X5 did this.. and I immediately noticed this and griped about it when I first picked up my F15. But it is not possible for the F chassis cars without coding, and I'm not sure if this is even possible.
The images posted are for F15 manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #22
newtlicious
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think that only toggles the view back and forth to see rear view/ bird's eye view and not "set" it in that particular view.

Try this.. do your setting as mentioned above and set it as Bird's eye view aka surround view. Then shut off the car turn it back on and put it in reverse and let me know if you are in bird's eye view or the standard rear view. ( note make sure there isn't anything obstructing your PDC while doing this )
My car does not remember the last setting for this feature. I always shut it off in bird's eye view and it always reverts to reverse camera when I turn it back on. Also, my rear climate control always comes back on when I start the car. I had to program a shortcut key for the rear climate control so that I can quickly turn it off every time I start the car. Can that be coded to default to "off?"

- Patrick
Appreciate 0