European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-24-2016, 10:45 PM   #1
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Thinkware F770 Dashcam Review

I ordered the brand new Thinkware F770 from blackboxmycar.com. I was in town so I picked it up in person at blackboxmycar's office in Richmond, BC, Canada. The customer service has been top notch. Justin was always quick to answer all my questions (and I had a lot of questions). I ordered the F770/Cellink B pre-order bundle. It comes with a 64GB SD card, hard-wire kit, a circuit tester, and installation accessories, and a couple add-a-fuses. I also ordered with the rear camera.

At their office, I was able to see F750 andF770 side by side. The F770 is noticeably smaller than the old model. The new model is slimmer and more streamlined. Gone is the stuck-out silver cylinder-shaped lens housing. The lens on the F770 is part of the unit's body. There is also a compartment on the side of the body for better cable management. The windshield attachment is now a thin solid piece of plastic. So the dashcam will be much closer to the windshield and appears even smaller than the old F750.

I installed it yesterday with the rear camera. On my BMW M3, fuse 155 was recommended on Blackboxmycar's YouTube video for F82 M4, for some reason, fuse 155 has no power for me. I didn't test it before so I don't know if it was like that or I did something wrong to the car. I ended up using fuse 159 for ACC. The add-a-fuse also came loose, so I had to repair it. But all is working after a couple hours of trial and error. Also thanks to Justin @ Blackboxmycar for extending my hard-wire cable so it is long enough for my car (fuse box in the trunk).

Some random notes:
  • I am glad I bought my camera from BlackBoxMyCar. They are good people and take good care of their customers. I picked up my order in-person while I was in town. Justin knew my car needs an extra long hardwire cable and he extended it for my without me asking.
  • I installed the F770 with a Cellink B battery. Our cars have a Lithium Ion battery that is supposed to be expensive to replace. I like that the camera is connected to the Cellink B and won't drain power off my car's battery.
  • My hard-wire cable has a 90-degree power connector, which is perfect. But it also is very difficult to disconnect it from the main unit. I used a tin tie from one of the cables to make a loop for better leverage to pull out the connector when I needed to during installation.
  • The USB cable that comes with the rear camera has a straight USB cable connector so with the rear camera installed you can't close the flap on the F770 connector compartment. BlackboxMyCar will be sending customers the right-angle cables later.
  • I disabled all driving assistance features as my car already has them all built-in
  • I disabled the LED on the F770 camera. But the blue LED on the rear camera can't be disabled. I will need to find a black electrical tape to tape over it
  • The boot up time is fast, maybe about 5 to 8 seconds. Unlike what others have complained about the F750's boot time
  • The buttons are decently sized, but they are not back-lit so it is hard to find which one is the right button to press in the dark.
  • Downloading clips from F770 to your phone over WiFi is fast, or at least it doesn't feel slow to me.
  • Streaming clips over WiFi is also fast, it takes a second to buffer and then it plays like normal
  • Video quality is good for front and back. My last dash cam is a mini 0803. So take that with a grain of salt.
  • The audio recording is of good quality. In-car conversation is loud and clear, even with my loud car. In contrast, it is very difficult to hear the recording with my mini 0803.
  • I thought F770 would support 128GB SD card, but the manual only says up 64GB as the largest. [EDIT: I read that the F750 supports 128GB SD card, so the manual may not state so, but the F770 should support 128GB cards]
  • I was able to disable all the voice prompts (e.g. "starting continuous recording") except it still speaks and tells you how many motion detection was recorded in parking mode when you switch on your car (i.e. ACC has power again)
  • Time-lapse is an option for parking mode. It records one frame per second. The video is strung together in 30-minute files. It is a non-stop recording mode. No audio is recorded in this mode. It is useful if you want continuous recording while you are away from your car and don't want the recording to take up all your storage space. It is kinda cool but it isn't very useful to me. I tested it once and switched back to motion detection mode.
  • I have not tried the red light camera alert feature. I need to download the data file first.
  • F770 user manual can be found here: https://fccid.io/pdf.php?id=3027630
  • http://www.thinkware.com/Support/Download doesn't have F770 listed yet.
  • Internal pictures from fccid.io: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3027628
I like the F770 so far. Will test it out some more.

[EDIT: Added pictures.]

^
|
|

blackboxmycar.com will be sending me new right-angle cables to replace the straight ones I have. My hard-wire power cable already has a right-angle connector. New orders from blackboxmycar.com will include right-angle cables (power and USB cable if you order with the rear camera) so the flap can be closed.

[EDIT] Pictures of the final right-angle USB cable:

F770 footage from blackboxmycar.com's youtube channel.

Last edited by Sir Loin; 08-08-2016 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 3
      06-24-2016, 11:35 PM   #2
YMB_M4
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB 2015

nice pics, thanks
      06-25-2016, 01:46 AM   #3
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Can you live view the camera and have it still record like blackvue or is it still the same as the f750?
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 03:14 AM   #4
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
Can you live view the camera and have it still record like blackvue or is it still the same as the f750?
When you start live view, it stops recording. I don't think it is a big deal as you see what the cameras see as you drive.
      06-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #5
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Nice review. Any installed pics?

I was actually thinking about the F770 over the Blackvue, but I am still leaning towards the Blackvue because of it's smaller, and better looking case.
      06-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

I can take some pictures later. I actually think the Blackview is quite large. It is thicker and longer. It doesn't hug the windshield like the F770 does.
      06-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #7
allennsn
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SO/SO

How's the rear cam? Is it sharp? I have a F750 and the front cam is great but the rear cam is a bit blurry. It's not sharp for objects 6ft and farther. I may have a defective rear cam that is out of focus. r it may be due to my tint. If you can post your rear cam footage, it'll be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 01:19 AM   #8
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Added pictures to the OP.
      06-26-2016, 01:22 AM   #9
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allennsn View Post
How's the rear cam? Is it sharp? I have a F750 and the front cam is great but the rear cam is a bit blurry. It's not sharp for objects 6ft and farther. I may have a defective rear cam that is out of focus. r it may be due to my tint. If you can post your rear cam footage, it'll be greatly appreciated.
The rear cam's image quality is good. I think is is not as good as the front cam. It may have a lower bit rate than the front. It is definitely not burry though. The rear cam is supposed to be the same as the one used for F750.
      06-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #10
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin
Added pictures to the OP.
Thanks! That's super helpful.

I actually have my V1 mounted in the same place in my X5.
      06-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #11
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

How's the view from the front cam in that installed place? Got any screen grabs from some live shots? If I got one of these I would be mounting it up to the right of the mirror too.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #12
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Here is one:

07-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #13
brian30tw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 delivered in Munich

Thanks for this post. I am about to buy the same setup from Blackboxmycar, so I appreciate seeing the success you've had with it. I just have a couple questions for those guys to make sure I'm ordering everything I need for the install. I appreciate the tip on the extra-long wiring and the right-angle USB cable.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 330d SB

Thanks for the writeup and photos. One of the rare threads with hands on experiences with the F770. I just ordered mine today for my F30 as a last-minute change of mind from a Blackvue 650S as the video quality should be better overall, and night samples look damn impressive.

This will be my first ever installation of a dashcam, so maybe you can help with a few questions:
1. so the 128GB cards are confirmed to work, right?
2. do I understand right that the provided hardwire kit is not long enough for BMW's battery in trunk? should I already get some extension wire?
3. assuming the fuses are the same between F80 and F30, which type of add-a-fuse should I get?
4. can you share any pictures of wiring in the back? any installation tips?

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #15
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Hey GoranBonn. I am using a Samsung Evo+ 128GB microSD card and it has been working fine. Another option is Lexar 633x 128GB microSD card. The hardwiring kit is not long enough because our cars' fuse box is in the trunk. I used the small version of the add-a-fuse. The hardwiring kit also has an in-line fuse. I will have to go to the garage to take some pictures of the trunk later.

BTW, I just installed the new Thinkware F50 to my Audi A3. It is a single-channel dash cam, but it also have voice prompt. Only $129.
      08-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #16
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Added 2 pictures of the final right-angle USB cable to the OP.
      08-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #17
brian30tw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 delivered in Munich

Thanks again for your helpful post. I just installed the same setup and also had to use fuse 159 instead of 155. You saved me some trouble shooting time! I routed the USB cable around the driver's side since the rear camera's USB port is on the driver's side when oriented properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #18
LoisPallister
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mazda 2 Sports Nav

Thank you for this useful post Sir Loin.
I am a driving instructor in the UK and have just ordered this camera and will be having it fitted professionally on the 22nd June.

I am interested in whether it is worth me buying a Samsung Evo+ 128GB microSD card or two. Chameleon, the UK distributors for this cam say that they have tried to get 128Gb cards to work due to customers saying this is possible but have failed to get them to work.

They are assuming that people believe they are working when the device is actually only recording 64Gb to the 128Gb cards.

Can you confirm for me that your Samsung card is taking around 8 hours of data when using both the front and rear cams?
And do you believe that if I tried and it failed I would not be at risk of damaging the cam itself?

Mine has come with a 32Gb card so I will either be buying at least two 64Gb cards but would much prefer to get one or two 128Gb cards instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #19
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

I am using a Samsung Evo+ 128GB card. I bought it from Amazon in the US. It works and I can use the whole card.

Remember, nowadays storage device companies advertise storage devices in MiB instead of the proper Megabyte unit, so you don't actually get the full 128MB that you think you are getting. On top of that, Thinkware's dashcam setup partitions the storage space into multiple areas: continuous recording, incident recording (sudden motion while driving), parking recording (motion detection), parking incident recording (loud sounds and vibrations), manual recording. So you don't actually get to use the whole card for just continuous recording while you drive. This is actually a good thing. I bought the Samsung EVO+ 128GB card based on blackboxmycar.com's recommendation.

There is another person on dashcamtalk forum just posted that he tested with a 200GB card and it works for him.

As long as you buy from a reputable retailer, you should be fine. If you are in doubt, the other option is lexar 633x 128GB card. It is a bit more expensive and it also works.

With the large card, I chose the partition option C so I get a larger partition for parking recording. Otherwise if you park for a few hours on a busy street, you will run out of space and your latest motion detection videos will have overwrite the older recording.
      09-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #20
LoisPallister
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mazda 2 Sports Nav

Thank you very much for your help
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #21
krotondo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW/Full SO M3 ZCP

do you have any updates on how the unit is performing? Thinking about ordering this for my incoming F80 M3 (next week!)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #22
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Bought mine from Blackboxmycar.com as well. Their customer service is top notched. Justin is very helpful. I wanted to upgrade from my X330 without the LCD. I just completed the install on my f15. However I noticed these weird internal noises (besides the ones in my head). It actually sounds like there's a short circuit inside the unit. I emailed Justin so I'm waiting to hear back from him tomorrow. I'm keeping the unit unplug for now until I hear back from the experts.
Appreciate 0