ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Lightbulb 666M Satan's - Black where GTS Acid Orange woluld be...

...sorry no pics..... but a few of you wondered how I got on with asking my local place (Wheel Experts Franchise) on how much this would be. To be clear the objective is to have every surface that is Acid Orange on the pic below painted glass black, leaving the outer edge silver still:-

- £135.00+VAT per wheel

The wheel pictured is diamond cut, as far as I can tell, but we would need a larger scale picture to be sure.
If it is diamond cut, then the way to achieve the finish you need is to strip the old colour from your wheel, prep and then repaint the whole wheel black. The face is then cut back in the diamond cutting process to achieve the shiny surface on the front of the spokes and the whole wheel is then lacquered. As you can tell, this is quite a long and complex process but it would achieve the look you require.
You are correct that a diamond cut finish is not as durable as a fully powder coated finish as the lacquer is sticking to a shiny surface which, if damaged, allows water to penetrate and this causes a milky stain to grow under the surface. For this reason, we do not offer a guarantee on the diamond cut finish.

This compares to an all in price of £399 to have all 4 wheels powder coated in Black Gloss, they do a special on Fridays.

PS I don't know if this is good or not but its about how much I thought it might be and ranging into pricey now for the Black GTS option. I think it will look excellent though.
PPS Now I think about it, its around the same price for a whole wheel refinish I was quoted for my 19inch MPerf wheel when I scuffed that, so standard pricing. I might haggle once I've curbed 2 or more!
Attached Images

06-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Thanks Chris.

I certainly don't dislike the 666 enough to pay that I think.

All glass Black may be an option but i dont even have my car yet so i'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
I guess the alternative to the 'proper' job you describe, is to carefully mask off the diamond face. The danger is bleed and not getting the sharp edge achieved by cutting back.

I'm banking on the standard wheels looking sharp with the SS paint.
      06-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Yes agree with both. Others might do cheaper but I belive they are right its a lot of work to each wheel so there will be a cost.

Originals are 2 tone already and look great. However IF repairing a wheel costs £120 anyway that's another conversation x2=3 wheels a year down the line.