Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
M4Raaj
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D M Sport

What should you be earning?

Hello all

OK I got a question for you. What sort of money should you be earning to be able to afford a new M car? The reason I ask is because I recently ordered my M4 and I take delivery of it in a couple of weeks. However I currently drive a 6 month old 335d m sport with pretty much every option ticked cost me almost 50k. The first day I took it to work I found people looked at me funny and made comments and say things like you carnt afford that on your salary. Some think that I'm a drug dealer but don't say it to my face. I've had general people saying that you must be minting it. And that just my 335d. To be honest I don't give a 5H!T what they say but it seems like people are quick to comment. I'm not a rich bloke have a decent enough job and the other half works and studies. So should we be raking it in to have a M car?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #2
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

I reckon the minimum requirement for an M Car is £78,098.17 pa, any less than that and you should be using the bus
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
M4Raaj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
I reckon the minimum requirement for an M Car is £78,098.17 pa, any less than that and you should be using the bus
In that case I'd better take mine back then.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

What a bizarre question.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #5
M4Raaj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
What a bizarre question.
Its not bizarre just trying to get people's thoughts of general people's perception!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAJ
Quote:
What a bizarre question.
Its not bizarre just trying to get people's thoughts of general people's perception!
The hell with everyone else.

If you can afford it, and you're not mooching off someone's nickel. Get it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAJ View Post

Well, you have said you don't care what other people think, which is a good attitude to take. It's nobody's business.

As for what you should be earning to be able to afford an M3/M4, it's impossible to answer. With the discounts available, and PCPs, I don't consider the M3/M4 to be a particularly extravagant purchase. And if you don't spend a lot on holidays and you have no children, then it should be in reach of a lot of people. And who's to say someone didn't inherit money?

I think a large number of people won't even know what an "M" is. It's just another BMW to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #8
M4Raaj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well, you have said you don't care what other people think, which is a good attitude to take. It's nobody's business.

As for what you should be earning to be able to afford an M3/M4, it's impossible to answer. With the discounts available, and PCPs, I don't consider the M3/M4 to be a particularly extravagant purchase. And if you don't spend a lot on holidays and you have no children, then it should be in reach of a lot of people. And who's to say someone didn't inherit money?

I think a large number of people won't even know what an "M" is. It's just another BMW to them.
Yes I agree.

I think my wording could have been a bit more clear , as I wasn't asking people what they earned but what other peoples perceptions of flashy BMWs are like for example people who work with me always make comments about my car even senior management and it always has the financial vibe to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Makes me laugh.

Why should you be worried? If you can afford the car, do the deal and try the car.

The days of looking at shoes and watches (which used to be the gauge) are long gone. Dealers just want genuine enquiries.

Think the reticence by some to go and see high end marques actually costs them dear as there are plenty of people daft enough to do a PCP on them (and with some of the GFV they aren't as horrendous as you'd imagine).
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 2
      06-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #10
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Just tell people you "got it cheap" to detract them away from thinking you've spent a lot of cash on it.

They will think you are smart for getting a great deal and will be none the wiser what you actually paid for it.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #11
FLGator15
Private
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black M4

Enough to fill it with gas
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #12
sashaa
Rep
Drives: M4 Mineralweiss/ 997.2 GT3

It can be reasonable it can be very expensive, depends how much money you will put in accessories, and how gentle you will be on tires. Same like any other performance car.

I would say if lease, insurance & running cost doesn't take more than 25-30% of your earnings, you earn enough to live with the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #13
dunny247
dunny
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 frozen black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashaa View Post
It can be reasonable it can be very expensive, depends how much money you will put in accessories, and how gentle you will be on tires. Same like any other performance car.

I would say if lease, insurance & running cost doesn't take more than 25-30% of your earnings, you earn enough to live with the car.
I always worked on 25% too. Must mean I can afford mine. Thank @#$/.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 01:40 AM   #14
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
If you can buy and run the car without having to sacrifice on other basic living costs, including still being able to treat the ones you love and cover unexpected costs - then you can afford it IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 02:29 AM   #15
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport (M) BS /CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Makes me laugh.

Why should you be worried? If you can afford the car, do the deal and try the car.

The days of looking at shoes and watches (which used to be the gauge) are long gone. Dealers just want genuine enquiries.

Think the reticence by some to go and see high end marques actually costs them dear as there are plenty of people daft enough to do a PCP on them (and with some of the GFV they aren't as horrendous as you'd imagine).
Exactly this

Gone: F31 320d MSport BS /CR, E61 520d MSport Bus Ed, E53 X5 V8 Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 02:54 AM   #16
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Idiotic question. What you earn is irrelevant unless you take into account your outgoings, savings and investments. You just came here for sympathy, not financial advice.

I just noticed your other comments about perception... what do you care more about, social acceptance and fitting in with your peers or driving the car you want? I don't think we can help you with that.

Last edited by antych; 06-08-2016 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 03:22 AM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAJ View Post
Hello all

OK I got a question for you. What sort of money should you be earning to be able to afford a new M car? The reason I ask is because I recently ordered my M4 and I take delivery of it in a couple of weeks. However I currently drive a 6 month old 335d m sport with pretty much every option ticked cost me almost 50k. The first day I took it to work I found people looked at me funny and made comments and say things like you carnt afford that on your salary. Some think that I'm a drug dealer but don't say it to my face. I've had general people saying that you must be minting it. And that just my 335d. To be honest I don't give a 5H!T what they say but it seems like people are quick to comment. I'm not a rich bloke have a decent enough job and the other half works and studies. So should we be raking it in to have a M car?
How do people know what you earn?
      06-08-2016, 03:33 AM   #18
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
It's just about priorities isn't it. Most of us on here are 'petrol-heads', 'car nuts' or however we might be described and, therefore, prioritise more of our earnings on cars. Just as others spend loads more on cloths or going out or kitchens or fishing.

You have to spend it on something and I'm very happy that the deals highlighted here meant I could justify a proper petrol-head's car.

If I get comments, I think I might go with the "I got a great deal" line and leave it at that - No lies there
      06-08-2016, 04:09 AM   #19
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

I get stick all the time from my mates, family and colleagues saying 'blimey Damo you're f***ing minted mate aint ya with all your cars..!' in a typical Essex accent . but you got to roll with the punches, laugh with them and tell them what a great negotiator you are and how hard you've worked to get them but no-one knows your true financial position, earnings, loans, debts or general financial stresses and strains and nor should they. it's bugger all to do with them. I know many will be jealous, but most admire what a twenty/thirty something can achieve when they put pressure on themselves and set goals to achieve.

for what it's worth I don't own any of my cars, as they are all on pcp and my company pays for most of them for business use I contribute towards them and there are some tax implications (advantages too), but if it was my net money, I wouldn't be able, nor would I want to pay for them all out of my own pocket.

hold your head high, pat yourself on the back and be proud of what you've achieved and accomplished to be able to afford a nice car or the car of your dreams... if you worry about what other people think all the time and don't like the looks, comments or feeling of driving (not necessarily owning) a prestige car and are not getting the enjoyment you should, then you need to re-evaluate what and who is important to you.

like others have said, don't put yourself or family under undue strain to get the car. prioritise and make calculated decisions. my man-maths calculator has worked wonders for me over the years and my negotiations skills with my boss have generally got me to where I want to be

go get your M4 and enjoy it like we all should do!
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 04:15 AM   #20
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsojon View Post
It's just about priorities isn't it. Most of us on here are 'petrol-heads', 'car nuts' or however we might be described and, therefore, prioritise more of our earnings on cars. Just as others spend loads more on cloths or going out or kitchens or fishing.

You have to spend it on something and I'm very happy that the deals highlighted here meant I could justify a proper petrol-head's car.

If I get comments, I think I might go with the "I got a great deal" line and leave it at that - No lies there
Exactly. Probably 80-90% of neighbours, friends, family, work colleagues probably all think we are bonkers buying these cars so the OP is not alone.

But its none of their business, its your money and its what you want.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 04:29 AM   #21
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Damn in too late for

All that matters though is if you can EASILY afford it. If it's a stretch I'd say not a clever move at all. I've said it time and again, really if all else that you care for and is needed by your family is SAFE, then why not. I got a stinking deal first time around too and could still be comfortable, knowing you have a great deal too certainly helps!

Personally we earn more than £30k and less than £200k
      06-08-2016, 05:31 AM   #22
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

As others have said your car alone does not indicate wealth. I have friends who live in £million+ houses that drive a third hand old run about and cycle to work. then again theres people like me that drive an M4 and an X5 and the PCP's on those together are almost twice my mortgage. without looking at the bigger picture there is no way you can justify drawing conclusions about someones worth based on their car alone.

Obviously you have to be able to afford the outlay initially or monthly if on finance but i suppose the real sensible question is can you afford the fuel, insurance and tax. if so then to hell with it.

I dont have any hobbies so my car costs is my extravagance. well apart from detailing which gets expensive but thats still car related lol
Some people spend their money on going out every friday and saturday night, booze, drugs, girls, expensive clothes etc. i can guarantee those people spend as much on that over a month than i do on my M4.