BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

05-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
Ramakay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CX-7 => X5

Cool First Impressions - 35i, X-Line, DAP, DDC , LED Package, Apps

I normally do not do posts on a forum but this community and all the information it provided in helping me find my X5

The Previous Ride.

I had an all decked out Mazda CX-7 with many features that many including the BMW genius were surprised existed in 2010 - Good on you Mazda..

- Auto headlights with Bi-Xenon, Manual levelling
- Rain wipers
- 244 hp turbo
- Keyless entry and no key ignition
- Rear view camera, Navigation
- Bose 9 speaker setup
- AWD

In close to 6 years I kept the vehicle, except a weak battery and* cabin air filter changes it never gave me issues with regular servicing - The reliability is amazing on these cars.

I finally owned the car last year and to sell it at the value it went for was disheartening.

But at the end of the day, it was a crossover - over the years it felt like a wannabe - It was higher than the Civic's that travelled around but lower than the other mid-full size SUV's on the road. Always loved the high captain’s view of a SUV a wish that never got fulfilled after riding a Murano as a rental car for a few months.

Finding the new ride

Here is what I started with

- Luxury SUV with smooth handling and optional sport mode.
- Considerable technology options
- V6 preferred
- 3rd Row

Ready for a step up, the BMW was the first choice and X5 it was. Right off the bat, the price prohibited me to a X35i, i love the additional features that technology has to offer. But focus shifted, For a while the Audi reigned supreme with its ability to see sideways (
) and other features. Then the Volvo XC90 with the Sensus control and the Air suspension* and more 3rd Row seating space was the top choice, i rode this vehicle 3 times taking a test drive - Quickly realizing that the weak engine response and a V4 engine was the culprit. The more expensive V4 with an additional electric motor was expensive. The price for the Volvo and the BMW matched for the inscription line. I took a X5 ride the same day and the power/ handling even for the base model in the lot was great.

[SIZE=“4”] The Decision was made !* - What now ?[/SIZE]

*The X5 it was, a google search for essential packages and options turned nothing. The Bimmerpost contributions helped form the final perspective that I needed

- DAP scored high
- Third row bought Air suspension - DHP was for sportier handling - DDC was what I needed
- Nappa had mixed reviews and was taking me beyond what I wanted - Mocha Dakota it was
- I wanted White but Mineral white provided the sheen I needed.
- Premium Package bought comfort access
- 3rd Row did not get any rave reviews but I wanted it as an option when guests visited
- LED package was the last add and the fade of the Xenon in the CX7 made this option easy to choose

[SIZE=“4”] The First few hours/day [/SIZE]

After a lot of confusion at the dealer with papers signed etc. and the trade in with another dealer ( I used a car leasing consultant ) - The vehicle was ready, I had to travel about 45 miles back on traffic starting for the Memorial day weekend.

The dealer threw in winter mats and a discounted cargo mat for $60 which was a nice touch. The first few things that I noticed were

- DDC was amazing, there was feedback but it was more like an FYI vs …bump..pothole..mistake..should have swerved ��

- heads up display , pleasantly surprised by how capable it was, no need to watch the Idrive , clear on a sunny day with brightness turned all the way up , this is the sole reason the effort on the app vs the map was useful

- Lane assist was a jolt the first time, I didn’t realize what happened or what to expect - its like someone installed a phone vibrator in your arm
- For a 2016 vehicle , the maps were out of date for 3 out of 5 destinations I used in NJ
- The 360 view was unlike anything i had ever seen and accurate.
- The sensor that made audible noise is extra careful
- The pickup was amazing and cabin noise is very less.
- Still forming my opinion on the iDrive and non touch screen systems.
- Turn radius came back same for the CX7 and X5 but this vehicle turns better, IMHO
- More luggage space with 3rd row up.
- Apps : way too many apps from BMW in my opinion flooding the App Store - the BMW remote was the only one that worked flawlessly and had a good interface - the BMW connected app doesn't seem to have much use

- vehicle finder - needs GPS positioning on in the vehicle
- preconditioning was useful
- honk possibly frees up one button on the key fob
- directions sent to the vehicle is the best feature ,BMW connected uses Apple maps vs BMW remote uses far better google maps - takes a second to reach the vehicle - it seems no one implemented a callback from the vehicle to confirm it had received the message vs BMW servers
- Touch ID , always a plus

As usual after a day more , here are the things that am noticing

- Doors need considerable amount of pull to close, soft close doors is a paid option ..ya right!
- Speakers are OK but I miss my Bose, Did not think it would matter
- Obstacle sensors are pretty sensitive
- I have the power now to pickup, the car barely complains
- At speeds of about 70-75mph the car looks like its only half done and can take more.
- DDC again, worth a mention again
- “Secure vehicle against rolling” - #1 - Doors not closed properly

They say pictures are worth a thousand words, I think we have hit that mark ��

Daytime

LED Package (Untouched)

BMW does inspire, it is the ultimate driving machine…. I am smitten.

Thanks for all the information that you post here, it helps a lot of newbies like me.

Last edited by Ramakay; 05-30-2016 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Fixed Imgur link, App and Map observations added
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Congratulations on the new car!

Anyways for the LED lights I would suggest coding them for the glare free high beams.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
Ramakay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CX-7 => X5

Thank you !

Will look into coding the high beams.
Appreciate 0