BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 X35i

Help! I've got fresh tar on my car!

So I just drove 1000 miles roundtrip from Columbus, OH to Easton, MD. During my weekend trip (funeral) I must have encountered some freshly paved roads because my alpine white X5 is dotted with tiny specks of tar around my wheels, fenders, and tailgate.

I've been told to try mineral spirits and a microfiber cloth. Do any of you folks have other suggestions that won't hurt my clearcoat and paint job?

Thanks!

PS. Yes, I did do a search and didn't find much good info, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Apologies if I missed it.
      05-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

I use Chemical Guys products. See the below link for more details. Good Luck!

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

WD-40 works miracles....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

I use WD40 or silicon spray to remove the tar with an old clean microfibre towel and wash it off with soapy water. Note I spot clean to get the tar off then clean the whole panel to get the solvent residue off.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

depending on how baked on the tar is you can use olive oil and microfiber but if it is on there for some time and the heat baked it on you will have to resort to solvents or synthetic products be careful trying something new... the paint on these new bmw's is very soft and damages easily so i recommend testing whichever product you choose in an inconspicuous area before applying to the entire nose. lastly as an ounce of prevention try one of the popular detailing forums. plenty of knowledge and experience there...

http://www.detailingbliss.com/
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
depending on how baked on the tar is you can use olive oil and microfiber but if it is on there for some time and the heat baked it on you will have to resort to solvents or synthetic products be careful trying something new... the paint on these new bmw's is very soft and damages easily so i recommend testing whichever product you choose in an inconspicuous area before applying to the entire nose. lastly as an ounce of prevention try one of the popular detailing forums. plenty of knowledge and experience there...

http://www.detailingbliss.com/
Thank you all for the suggestions.

iconoclast Luckily, the tar is still rather 'wet' and pliable (ie. I can smear it with my finger.) But on the smaller specks it's 'baked' on as you say. After running it through a touchless wash to get the bugs and other road grime knocked off, I noticed the spots of tar and stopped what I was doing. The attendant offered to help but I had to kindly decline. I didn't want someone trying to scrub tar off my car with Armour All tire cleaner.

I will try to do some more research but I've booked a detailing session for Friday as a precaution. I will likely try the wd-40 method on some small spots under the fender to see what that does.

05-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I'm no expert, but I think a good soak with very soapy warm water will take care of it.
Then apply some claying/nano mitt to get those out.
Finally top it off with consumer grade opti-gloss ($100) and your good to go in case it happens again.
      05-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

WD-40.

Spray a little on microfiber towel and gently dab over the spots. This helped remove even the toughest tar spots. Then go over removed areas again with a separate wet microfiber towel to remove any WD-40 residue on the paint of the car.

P.S. Never spray directly on surface of the car!
      05-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
WD-40.

Spray a little on microfiber towel and gently dab over the spots. This helped remove even the toughest tar spots. Then go over removed areas again with a separate wet microfiber towel to remove any WD-40 residue on the paint of the car.

P.S. Never spray directly on surface of the car!
Thanks for the note kanvas! Since I live in the downtown area in a condo, I don't have access to a hose in my garage. Would you think taking the vehicle through a touchless car wash would remove the wd-40 residue? I'd first remove by hand with a wet microfiber and then run it through the wash.

Is that overkill?
      05-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

I wouldn't go straight to WD-40. Grab a can of Stoner's Bug and Tar Remover and see if that works first.
      05-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #11
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
I wouldn't go straight to WD-40. Grab a can of Stoner's Bug and Tar Remover and see if that works first.
Thanks Doanster. I've noticed this stuff before at the auto shop. What's your reservation on using the WD-40?
      05-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

This is what I use:

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #13
Kzang
Major General
Rep

If you go with the WD40 route, I would get an empty clean spray bottle.. you can buy them at wal-mart and fill it with water / rubbing alcohol mix and spray then wipe to remove the WD40 residue.
      05-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #14
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep

I'm going to spot treat the lip of one of my wheel wells to see what happens. I have WD-40 on hand, and it's cheap. But that doesn't mean it's the right choice for the job.

Kzang good point, a diluted alcohol solution makes sense for removing WD-40.

P1et That looks a bit scary...Maybe it's the fun disclaimer at the bottom that has my spidey senses tingling.
      05-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #15
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortugaX5 View Post
I'm going to spot treat the lip of one of my wheel wells to see what happens. I have WD-40 on hand, and it's cheap. But that doesn't mean it's the right choice for the job.

Kzang good point, a diluted alcohol solution makes sense for removing WD-40.

P1et That looks a bit scary...Maybe it's the fun disclaimer at the bottom that has my spidey senses tingling.
I've used it for years and have never had any issues. Obviously use it in a well ventilated area, or just plain outside. I think you will find that language on any product that removes tar. Just don't go huffing it...

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #16
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Why not give traditional wash products a try first? Start with a bug/tar remover, rinseless car wash and/or some detailing clay. I see no reason that those wouldn't get the tar off for you.

As an added bonus, you'll have them around for the next time you want to give your car a quick maintenance wash.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 05:26 PM   #17
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortugaX5
Thanks Doanster. I've noticed this stuff before at the auto shop. What's your reservation on using the WD-40?
While all these products are akin to Goo Gone and are petroleum-based, I don't recall Tarminator being as "harsh" compared to WD-40. I'm sure they will all accomplish what you need. Just apply a wax/sealant after as whatever may be on the car currently will have been stripped.
      05-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #18
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j
Why not give traditional wash products a try first? Start with a bug/tar remover, rinseless car wash and/or some detailing clay. I see no reason that those wouldn't get the tar off for you.

As an added bonus, you'll have them around for the next time you want to give your car a quick maintenance wash.
After work I went to auto zone and picked up some turtle wax bug and tar remover. I tried it on a few small spots and it seemed to work pretty well. It's a foaming solution. I then 'washed' the area with some griots waterless carwash. Seemed to work but it's going to need to likely wait until the weekend as it's going to take a while to do the whole car.
      05-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #19
Han2015
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 M-Sport

I have mineral white x5 and I use stoner terminator. it work for me [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #20
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Many years ago, when I started driving in Italy, country roads were enthusiastically tarred and cars got correspondingly stained.

We did not have special purpose cleaners, but a clean rag wetted with a bit of the car's fuel worked fast and removed all stains perfectly -- and it did not damage the paint in any visible way.

Who knows, it may still work today
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #21
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
Many years ago, when I started driving in Italy, country roads were enthusiastically tarred and cars got correspondingly stained.

We did not have special purpose cleaners, but a clean rag wetted with a bit of the car's fuel worked fast and removed all stains perfectly -- and it did not damage the paint in any visible way.

Who knows, it may still work today
Maybe, but back then the paints were oil based vs now days it is water based.. not sure if that makes a difference or not.
      05-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #22
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

Just my 2c, but if the car has a clear coat this will give some protection to even strong solvents like gasoline for a short period of time, ie longer than the time it takes to evaporate naturally not immersion. Modern paints use a solvent water or oil based that carry the paint and evaporate as part of the curing process. The layer formed is relatively impervious to most contaminants the vehicle is exposed to such as water,oil and tar.

Trying to wash tar off with soapy water tends to smear it and make a bigger spot in my experience.

Clay baring or similar can drag particulates across the paint causing scratches and should only be used on really clean paint that has had various types of decontamination steps done as it can introduce scratches which then need to be polished out.

Tar has heavy organic molecules that can stain the clear coat over time, yet who removes it straight away?

Using wd40 or similar has never caused any damage on the various cars I have used it on with or without clear coat and various colours including white. I apply it only long enough to remove the tar the wash it off well to remove the residue.
Appreciate 3