R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-12-2016, 04:45 AM   #1
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

And so for the next thrilling installment!!

Must be a glutton for punishment! Questions being asked about spacers, exhaust tips and CG valve controller so here you go - answers to them all!!

San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 7
      05-12-2016, 05:19 AM   #2
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Your video title for the tips says Cuba instead of Cyba
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #3
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7
Your video title for the tips says Cuba instead of Cyba
Bo**ocks!
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #4
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Bo**ocks!
It happens. It's a good vid otherwise so don't beat yourself up too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Was wondering where you've been these days ... off making videos!

That's another brilliant vid Guy, you are getting good at these!!!

Just in your last shot at the end, I like the way the front of the CP doesn't seem to sit as high as the standard car. Whether that's anything to do with the spacers or just the angle it was took at.... but looking very good indeed.

I think you once said the suspension is slighter lower on the CP and I calculated the other day the diameter of the CP wheels/tyres is more than standard - net result - the gap should be less!

And that colour is awesome.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Was wondering where you've been these days ... off making videos!

That's another brilliant vid Guy, you are getting good at these!!!

Just in your last shot at the end, I like the way the front of the CP doesn't seem to sit as high as the standard car. Whether that's anything to do with the spacers or just the angle it was took at.... but looking very good indeed.

I think you once said the suspension is slighter lower on the CP and I calculated the other day the diameter of the CP wheels/tyres is more than standard - net result - the gap should be less!

And that colour is awesome.
The gap is slightly less Andy but the springs aren't any lower - hope that makes sense.

Just washed the car before putting in garage for next few days whilst I use the Disco - she's looking beautiful once more.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
The gap is slightly less Andy but the springs aren't any lower - hope that makes sense.

Just washed the car before putting in garage for next few days whilst I use the Disco - she's looking beautiful once more.
Yes, just referring back to a post you made on cutters some time ago where you said it was 10 mm lower - but you didnt have the car then to be fair.

But the 20" wheels/tyres are 6mm wider in diameter against 19"s (according to plugging numbers into an online tyre calculator).

I think I also read somewhere the spring rate was different. Prob on some journo site, so it bound to be right.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Yes, just referring back to a post you made on cutters some time ago where you said it was 10 mm lower - but you didnt have the car then to be fair.

But the 20" wheels/tyres are 6mm wider in diameter against 19"s (according to plugging numbers into an online tyre calculator).

I think I also read somewhere the spring rate was different. Prob on some journo site, so it bound to be right.
That's because that is what one of the interviews with BMW said - me thinks it's porkies!!

Spring rate may well be different (as are the ARB's front and rear and the front dampers). It's definitely the best 'out-of-box' setup I've driven. Not perfect though - managed to get the car to hop sideways over a sharp crest around 80ish on way home (in name of research). Shame dampers can't cope. Nevertheless it's a huge step in right direction!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #9
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Brilliant video! I'm sure a particular neighbour I have is going to mention the noise of this car, they have a tendancy to mention little things from time to time, no major fallouts but I will be counting the days until the first complaint when I'm heading off to work at 6am, no way I won't be able to resist the sport start up option!
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Guy,
Are you planning on going for the MPE or Schnitzer exhaust at all ?.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #11
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Great video guy, I actually think that cg controller on cold could be fun in car parks

Love the tips, did you include a link? (Couldn't see it when watching it on my phone)
      05-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #12
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Guy, a suggestion for another vid .......

Can you attach camera to a rear outside near the exhaust. Would be good to hear what it's like going along on the CP.

I guess you've got the right gear to do this?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #13
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

Another great video, you do a fantastic job of talking about everything that matters without repeating information or babbling on about irrelevant subjects like a lot of YouTube car journalists.

Although I really think you need a logo...

I don't think Chris Harris would mind at all...

On another note, what cameras are you using? Video mode on the Nikon? I know they were quite late to the game with decent video capture compared to other DSLRs (canon/panasonic etc).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #14
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Standing ovation

The only feedback I have is:

The sweater, or lack of. Warm day, was it?
I'm probably gonna try and install the tips myself, would it have been easier to remove the diffuser rather than dropping the exhaust?
How much does the exhaust expand by as you mention the tips move out when hot?
Didn't realise those flaps are so loud when opening / closing.

Cheers for the video, can't wait for number 4.
      05-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #15
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Thanks Guy, very useful as ever, for me very interested in the tips, so thanks for that sincerely. Splendid looking car all around.

I did however nearly stop the video in sheer disgust at the lack of pullover? ;£
      05-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #16
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Thanks again Guy another excellent quality Video well done, what's up next MPE Dual?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #17
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Guy,
To be honest, not planning on changing the exhaust at all for the moment. Brakes next week then coilovers and possibly a bit more power all before any exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #18
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Great video guy, I actually think that cg controller on cold could be fun in car parks

Love the tips, did you include a link? (Couldn't see it when watching it on my phone)
Yup, link to Bimmerforum post is there. Just PM Derek and he'll give you a price. Easy peesy!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #19
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlj View Post
Another great video, you do a fantastic job of talking about everything that matters without repeating information or babbling on about irrelevant subjects like a lot of YouTube car journalists.

Although I really think you need a logo...

I don't think Chris Harris would mind at all...

On another note, what cameras are you using? Video mode on the Nikon? I know they were quite late to the game with decent video capture compared to other DSLRs (canon/panasonic etc).
Hah! Got a long way to go yet!

To be honest I've tended to use whatever isn't popular in the office (helps when you own a camera hire company ). In-car stuff was using a Canon Legria Mini X that has been sitting on my desk for God knows how long but think I'll start using my Sony RX100 Mk IV and up the quality. Have a couple of 4K action cams that Sony gave me that never go out on hire so will be using them for outside stuff.

Nikon still don't make anything that great on video front. I've spent the last few days playing with our new D5 and D500's. Bloody impressive stills cameras but not top of game on movie.

Lot of ideas for things going forward - good way of testing new kit I get in and charging car use back to company
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #20
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Guy,
To be honest, not planning on changing the exhaust at all for the moment. Brakes next week then coilovers and possibly a bit more power all before any exhaust.
Do you think it needs more power?
      05-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #21
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik View Post

Standing ovation

The only feedback I have is:

The sweater, or lack of. Warm day, was it?
I'm probably gonna try and install the tips myself, would it have been easier to remove the diffuser rather than dropping the exhaust?
How much does the exhaust expand by as you mention the tips move out when hot?
Didn't realise those flaps are so loud when opening / closing.

Cheers for the video, can't wait for number 4.
You could have removed the diffuser - still would have been a bit tight. As the car was up on a ramp, took no time at all to just drop the exhaust but yes, if doing yourself, removing diffuser (or panel if no diffuser) would work.

Exhaust expands by about 5mm when really hot - nothing great but you can notice it.

Yup, you can clearly hear the flaps moving.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #22
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Do you think it needs more power?
More torque would be nice. The cars is fast already but it would be nice not to always have to drop a gear. That ACS M4 just had so much more shove at 3-4k.
Appreciate 0