Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Finally got round to ACS M4 review...

... Sorry, had half the review camera file corrupt but managed to get something out of it so hopefully enough for your entertainment...

San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 5
      05-05-2016, 01:17 AM   #2
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

So episode 2 of series 1. Will be the first thing I do when I get into work.

Top man!
      05-05-2016, 02:45 AM   #3
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Excellent thanks!, Good way to drink my morning coffee
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 03:09 AM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Brilliant vid Guy! Seems you are sold on the ACS set up!

Shame about MDM (as mentioned a few times now!)

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 03:34 AM   #5
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Brilliant vid Guy! Seems you are sold on the ACS set up!

Shame about MDM (as mentioned a few times now!)
To be honest Andy, went out again for a blat this morning and I reckon CP will be more than enough for most - as a standard out-of-box offering it's damn good. The amount of traction it finds is just bonkers.

The more I think about it now and the more I use it, the more I respect the MDM mode as is. It allows incredible progress and really does a great job for fast road use in either wet or dry. The traction the car finds is amazing and I love the way you can feel the diff working.

It's not perfect - bad surfaces can very much confuse it but it's damn good. And yes I would like a little more play but I can always turn things off.

Is now default on M2 - much prefer it to TC on. Got to say TC off is also growing on me as well but that's for v early mornings only
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 03:51 AM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

With regards the suspension............

Sounds all good with the standard CP set up to me! I think I’ll be perfectly happy with it (as will others I suspect) and will handle my capabilities fine. Got to be better than a 335d with run flats even though it has ACS springs!

But I can understand your slight frustration on the CP after driving the ACS car as you know there is something just that bit better out there, suspension-wise. Is it worth the money though (over the CP)? Its an expensive set-up (with fitting) for say 5-10% better handling? (I dunno, you can put a percentage on it?)!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 05-05-2016 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 04:39 AM   #7
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
With regards the suspension............

Sounds all good with the standard CP set up to me! I think I’ll be perfectly happy with it (as will others I suspect) and will handle my capabilities fine. Got to be better than a 335d with run flats even though it has ACS springs!

But I can understand your slight frustration on the CP after driving the ACS car as you know there is something just that bit better out there, suspension-wise. Is it worth the money though (over the CP)? Its an expensive set-up (with fitting) for say 5-10% better handling? (I dunno, you can put a percentage on it?)!
I don't think you can put anything on it. The CP will be such a leap from the 335d and is VERY good. I just think (for me at least), it's the icing on the cake sorting out the damping.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

GT, a nice review and a decent watch, shame they wasn't still auditioning for TG as you may have got in in front of Chris Harris.

I picked up on a comment you mentioned when you was back in your own car, and that was that it felt 'slow'

Now, on the assumption you take the plunge for the ACS 'RS' £2500 suspension upgrade (which you expertly detail in your review) this wont have any bearing on the performance of the car. would you consider their performance upgrade too?
Best
MB
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #9
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
GT, a nice review and a decent watch, shame they wasn't still auditioning for TG as you may have got in in front of Chris Harris.

I picked up on a comment you mentioned when you was back in your own car, and that was that it felt 'slow'

Now, on the assumption you take the plunge for the ACS 'RS' £2500 suspension upgrade (which you expertly detail in your review) this wont have any bearing on the performance of the car. would you consider their performance upgrade too?
Best
MB
I'm one hell of a long way behind Chris Harris (both in presenting and driving talent!!!!!).

It only felt slow as the ACS M4 felt so damn torquey!! As an F Type found out earlier, it's not that slow after all But yes, if Lorcan's throwing in a free power upgrade with RS kits, I'll have one!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you drive two near identical cars, one with 60 odd bhp more it will feel slow against the other, no matter what car it is.
Doesn't mean to say it is slow though.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Guy another excellent informative review , thanks again for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinion in this area, just change the Jumper to keep them happy on cutters
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 03:06 AM   #12
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Great review Guy, that acs car sounded a lot louder.. Was this just the exhaust or does it have other mods?

The rs kit does look great and give the car a great stance, will be interested to hear your views when you get it
      05-06-2016, 05:50 AM   #13
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Although Guy's car might sound nearly as loud based on his thread on m3cutters!
What's going on there then Guy? Do you think there is a problem, or its just changed by itself?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 05:55 AM   #14
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
if Lorcan's throwing in a free power upgrade with RS kits, I'll have one!
Please don't use the F word
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #15
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
if Lorcan's throwing in a free power upgrade with RS kits, I'll have one!
Please don't use the F word
Wondered how long it would be before you spotted that....
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #16
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Very good review, you're good at this stuff.

On the point of the MDM on your CP car, I'm very shocked that it doesn't allow any slip, I've had 4 cars with MDM including a CP e92 which had a revised MDM and they all have allowed slip, hell the M5 would allow you to spin up in first and 2nd even with the TC fully on as long as the steering wheel was straight.

The CP e92 differed from the standard cars set up in that it didn't regulate the throttle it kept that with you but regulated the slip with the brakes which was perfect as there is nothing worse than having the throttle taken away, it was so balanced that you could drive up the road in 2nd slipping the wheels at a lovely little angle just off centre, the system was designed for greater slip angles to be allowed over the stock car.

It's a real pity that the F80 CP MDM doesn't allow this as it's part of the M DNA, I hope that the running service will cure the issue.

As for the RS kit, well I think you've just cost me some money....as long as Lorcan can get his discount calculator out!

Thanks for the review Guy.

Last edited by Wills2; 05-06-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0