proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

04-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

IND Presents: World's first Carbon Revolution M4 wheels!

Composites technology has revolutionized nearly every industry where performance, stiffness, or weight are a priority. Carbon Fiber is in the airplanes that enable us to cross the globe, in the prosthetics that help people recover from debilitating injuries, and is of course in the performance cars that ignite our passion for driving.

When it comes to automobiles, Carbon Fiber has been used to limit critical unsprung weight in nearly every critical area- from carbon fiber suspension springs to carbon ducting and carbon ceramic brakes, carbon materials have transitioned to revolutionizing the unsprung side of automotive engineering, in addition to the already impressive contribution Carbon Fiber has made to chassis engineering. In spite of carbon’s near-ubiquitous presence in high performance automobiles, one of the most key components of a car has remained largely unaffected by the growing use of Carbon Fiber- wheels.

Wheels represent many simultaneous challenges to the automotive engineer. The wheels of a performance car are simultaneously the largest contributor of unsprung mass, the sole interface between a car’s suspension and the tires that hold the car to the road, and also operate in a uniquely complex and unpredictable environment. Every load the car is subjected to is somehow transferred through the wheels. Every pot hole, dip, and apex kerb the car moves over will make its presence known to the wheel. More so than the braking system, more so than the drivetrain, the wheel of a performance car is given one of the most difficult tasks there is.

So while we watch the automotive industry embrace Carbon Fiber in every other subsystem of a performance car, we’ve watched Carbon Fiber wheel companies do only one thing until quite recently- present one half-baked design after another, promise the industry the world, and inevitably fail. Having watched one carbon wheel company after another fail to produce a viable wheel both publicly and behind the scenes, I had all but written off the idea when I first encountered Carbon Revolution five years ago.

Even our initial conversations gave me the impression that Carbon Rev was a different breed of carbon wheel company: the focus was on stiffness and dynamics, not simply the lowest possible weight. The wheels were not to be built with a standard layup of Carbon Fiber sheet and vacuum bags, but rather a proprietary combination of tailored fiber placement and preforming technologies to create the carbon structure of dry fiber before it is pressure injected with resin in an RTM process. The interface between the machined hub and lug nut hardware and the carbon wheel itself is carefully designed to account for not only physical loading and serviceability, but also for the very high thermal loads seen by a high performance wheel. And finally, the now public OE supply contract between Carbon Revolution and Ford provided an added layer of confidence that this wheel system was truly viable.

IND is proud to introduce the first production set of Carbon Revolution CR-9 wheels to the BimmerPost enthusiast community. Because this is the first set of production M4 wheels to enter North America, we felt it appropriate to document every step of the unboxing process, from the packaging, to the appearance of the wheels, to an installation on our own 10th Anniversary M4.

The CR-9 wheels arrived carefully strapped to a single pallet- fitting for such a rare item.

Even the packaging suggests that the person opening these is dealing with something very special.

The owner of a set of CR-9 wheels will be greeted with specifically written installation and care instructions.

Finally, the wheel itself came out of the box. I have to admit that having the world’s first M4 Carbon Fiber wheel in my possession was a bit of a thrill. I felt like I was crossing a technological boundary that will come to disrupt our industry and force it to evolve, similar to someone’s first time using the internet or dialing a telephone. Sure, my life would remain essentially unchanged for several years, but I’ll always be able to refer back to the point where I was able to install the first set of Carbon Fiber wheels on our M4.

The details of the workmanship of the CR-9 are impressive, especially for a first iteration product. The spokes have clean and consistent radii, the barrel has a subtle return, and the backing plate is excellently machined- not only for interface with the carbon, but also to minimize weight.

The front and rear CR-9 wheels have a difference in profile, with enough change in concavity to differentiate the two, but not so much that the front wheels have a weaker appearance when compared to the rear.

Finally, we were able to install the CR-9 wheels on our 10th Anniversary M4. Our M4 already uses quite a bit of Carbon Fiber on the exterior of the car, and the CR-9 wheels compliment the existing carbon nicely. The broad spokes give a “race wheel” appearance that gives the M4 a tough and purposeful look. The release of our 10th Anniversary M4 did not leave us substantial time for a true road and track test, but expect more feedback from us soon as we continue to drive and test the car. We’ll keep the BimmerPost community updated as we road test these wheels, but hope that you enjoy the images for the time being!
      04-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Finally, the wheel itself came out of the box. I have to admit that having the world’s first M4 Carbon Fiber wheel in my possession was a bit of a thrill.
If this was me, that'd be the understatement of all time. I'd ABBA dancing in streets made of gold while lens flares followed me everywhere I went.
Appreciate 2
      04-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Imagine Hitting A Curb With These.
Appreciate 5
      04-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZING View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 AW 6MT

Quote:
Imagine the hit on your bank account with these...
Appreciate 2
      04-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
If this was me, that'd be the understatement of all time. I'd ABBA dancing in streets made of gold while lens flares followed me everywhere I went.
I'm sorry - you'd have to be rocking out to AC/DC because these are Australian. Which is reason enough for a New Zealander not to buy them

EDIT: Rocking out in your school uniform no less!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz
Quote:
I'm sorry - you'd have to be rocking out to AC/DC because these are Australian. Which is reason enough for a New Zealander not to buy them

EDIT: Rocking out in your school uniform no less!
I do like your reply as I'm a big AC/DC fan. In fact, I had an AC/DC shift knob custom made for my F80. So the only logical conclusion is for me to drive over to IND and politely ask them to give me the CR Aussie wheels so I can reunite them with my Aussie shift knob.

No school boy uniforms though, as I'm a bit taller and chunkier than Angus.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #8
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
I do like your reply as I'm a big AC/DC fan. In fact, I had an AC/DC shift knob custom made for my F80. So the only logical conclusion is for me to drive over to IND and politely ask them to give me the CR Aussie wheels so I can reunite them with my Aussie shift knob.

No school boy uniforms though, as I'm a bit taller and chunkier than Angus.
Nice! Let me know how that conversation goes!

I was in NZ 2 years ago and went to "Phil's Place" - Phil Rudd's restaurant in Tauranga. Had his drum kits around the place and lots of memorabilia - but this was before his run in with the law. The restaurant is now long gone.

No comment on the school uniforms though. I don't think they come in my size!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #9
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Even more interesting is the same size FI-R's are 2 and 1 pound LESS respectively than these
Appreciate 3
      04-08-2016, 09:57 PM   #10
aaa335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992GT3, Euro E36, 24M3CS

These are badass! they look mean
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #11
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Despite what people above are saying, I think these are impressive and super cool to look at. Id be interested in seeing one in person.

Wouldn't rock them, theyre not my style at all, but I can appreciate what they're offering and the rarity of a full CF wheel.

What do they sell for? Do I want to know?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #12
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Good point.... Whats the fix for a curb rash?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #13
silverarrow
Private
Rep
Drives: R8, M4, RR HSE

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigaster View Post
Imagine the hit on your bank account with these...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
Good point.... Whats the fix for a curb rash?
I don't know why that's the first thing people think about having amazing wheels. I'm sure that wasn't the first thing in your mind when you bought these
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #14
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

First off, these are art. And they look very cool, unique, and I'm sure that's what they'll be bought for - as part of an artistic expression.

Second, wheel weights are nice to be compared but without information on the ability of the wheel to withstand various forces in a standardized manner, it's useless. There are super lightweight track wheels that would bend/crack if put through 10,000 miles of PA roads. These are not "super lightweight" to me - so I would presume, perhaps wrongly, that they are pretty rugged.
      04-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #15
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
First off, these are art. And they look very cool, unique, and I'm sure that's what they'll be bought for - as part of an artistic expression.

Second, wheel weights are nice to be compared but without information on the ability of the wheel to withstand various forces in a standardized manner, it's useless. There are super lightweight track wheels that would bend/crack if put through 10,000 miles of PA roads. These are not "super lightweight" to me - so I would presume, perhaps wrongly, that they are pretty rugged.
They've definitely been tested. That's why Carbon Revolution wheels are the OEM wheels for the Ford Mustang GT350R. These wheels aren't just the latest fashion bling bling.

The following excerpt is mostly just auto journo speak, but I'll post it anyways.

Quote:
Curb impacts and pothole strikes can destroy steel wheels. While even a small crack in an aluminum wheel can grow during continued use, carbon-fiber wheels are not susceptible to fatigue failure. Minor surface rash can be repaired with standard painting methods. Replacement wheel costs for the wheels are $3433 each for the fronts and $4053 each for the rears.
Rest of article here.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/tested-...-fiber-wheels/
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #16
hwalk
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Big Sorry, i appreciate the technical efforts etc. and no doubt they're a great product but i personally don't like the look of the wheel itself and i think it's a bit too much for a "pret-a-porter" Sportscar like the M4...
      04-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #17
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
They've definitely been tested. That's why Carbon Revolution wheels are the OEM wheels for the Ford Mustang GT350R. These wheels aren't just the latest fashion bling bling.

The following excerpt is mostly just auto journo speak, but I'll post it anyways.

Rest of article here.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/tested-...-fiber-wheels/
Was all dandy until they said the cost to replace them. No thanks
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #18
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Was all dandy until they said the cost to replace them. No thanks
It's definitely a specialty item for sure. I mean the only other car that comes with OEM Carbon Fiber wheels is a Koenigsegg. And like many first offering of a technological achievement, early adopters will pay a premium. And that will remain so until production demand tips the scale away from the more tried and true "if-it-ain't-broke-why-fix-it" process. Even a few years ago, the Tesla was considered an overpriced specialty item that will never make it to the mass market. Despite all odds, Tesla is on their way to releasing their $35k car. It may take longer for wheels or it may not happen at all (as they aren't considered a necessity like a car or iPhone), but it definitely can happen. With all these OEMs forging ahead with Carbon Fiber (pun intended) technologies, I'm excited to see what is possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #19
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep

Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

The more I see this car the more I like it than the last time. You guys really hit a home run with this thing. Cant wait to see it in person
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #20
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
It's definitely a specialty item for sure. I mean the only other car that comes with OEM Carbon Fiber wheels is a Koenigsegg. And like many first offering of a technological achievement, early adopters will pay a premium. And that will remain so until production demand tips the scale away from the more tried and true "if-it-ain't-broke-why-fix-it" process. Even a few years ago, the Tesla was considered an overpriced specialty item that will never make it to the mass market. Despite all odds, Tesla is on their way to releasing their $35k car. It may take longer for wheels or it may not happen at all (as they aren't considered a necessity like a car or iPhone), but it definitely can happen. With all these OEMs forging ahead with Carbon Fiber (pun intended) technologies, I'm excited to see what is possible.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the technology succeed as you said, they can be made super light. But as is, replacement wheels alone cost MORE than what I paid for my E36 M3. If I had unlimited money, sure, but for me right now, I can't even justify what new HRE Classics cost
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #21
IND-Distribution
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:

Absolutely correct!

I believe we're in an interesting period, in the timeline of human progress. We've witnessed a number of technologies develop that have created a total paradigm shift within their industry, all within a very short span of time. Things like the iPhone, Tesla, cloud technology, etc... are all part of a bigger picture.

While lightweight wheels (and the use of composites technology in general) may not be as disruptive as the iPhone or Tesla, they are a major disruptive force in the wheel industry, and in the automotive industry in general. The application of composites where many thought composites simply did not belong brings us closer to cars that are better able to balance high performance, high efficiency, and safety.

Carbon wheels in particular are a bit of a tricky thing, because of course people will view them in the broader context of all wheels. Aluminum wheels are at this point on a 50+ year long development timeline, and have had the advantage of millions of iterations and design revisions. If you compare the first few iterations of an aluminum wheel to the state of the art aluminum products we have today, you'll see that the stuff that came out at the beginning was massively inferior.

If anything, the fact that this is Carbon Revolution's first aftermarket product makes the CR-9 that much more impressive. Their 7 spoke design being approved by Ford for production use is again a testament to the impact Carbon Revolution is already having on the industry, relatively early on.
      04-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #22
SALES@RSW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, Audi SQ5, SL65 AMG

We have CR-9's inbound for 991 Turbo Fitment! We can also attest to the quality of both the product & design the Team are Carbon Revolution has put into these wheels.
Appreciate 1