BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Past: 135i 6mt

painting wheel advice

I would like to paint a set of wheels black. preferably satin black. Assuming wheels are in excellent condition with their smooth original paint on them can I paint over or will they chip? De they need to be stripped/powdercoated. primed/painted or stripped/primed/painted.

I wouldn't want to put them in too hot of an oven to not alter their structure/rigidity.

Don't mean to sound cheap but if a can works does it matter? VHT seems to get good reviews. Primer, spray, clear. Not sure if people shut it down because its from a can or its actually low quality.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

If they are aluminum, I wouldn't strip them bare. Even though it is hard to see, aluminum begins to oxidize almost instantaneously. Any oxidation that forms under the primer/paint will cause the paint to flake, chip, bubble, etc. If the finish on the wheels is in good shape, hit them with 400 grit sand paper or a scotch guard pad. Make sure to get in all the nooks and crannies. This will take the most time, but 95% of a good paint job is prep work. You can use a rattle can, but you may want to ask a paint shop what they would charge to spay them black with a satin clear coat. If you do the prep work, you may be surprised by the cost. In addition, the paint will cure faster and harder compared to spray paint from a can.

One more thing... Make sure to tape off the area where the lug nuts touch the wheel. That area should be bare.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
If they are aluminum, I wouldn't strip them bare. Even though it is hard to see, aluminum begins to oxidize almost instantaneously. Any oxidation that forms under the primer/paint will cause the paint to flake, chip, bubble, etc. If the finish on the wheels is in good shape, hit them with 400 grit sand paper or a scotch guard pad. Make sure to get in all the nooks and crannies. This will take the most time, but 95% of a good paint job is prep work. You can use a rattle can, but you may want to ask a paint shop what they would charge to spay them black with a satin clear coat. If you do the prep work, you may be surprised by the cost. In addition, the paint will cure faster and harder compared to spray paint from a can.

One more thing... Make sure to tape off the area where the lug nuts touch the wheel. That area should be bare.
This sounds very reasonable... I think I might take a day and do this
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Why risk using paint? 4 cans of satin black plasti-dip and a roll of frog tape and your gtg. Screw up? Pull it off. Don't like the color? Pull it off.

Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I had a set of mismatched APEX AERO-7's powdercoated to match in Triple Bronze. The powdercoater did sandblast them to remove the original finish. Came out great, IMO. Although it's certainly not the cheapest option, it's worth it to me. Definitely better than Plasti-Dip, which I think is one of the tackiest things going around the car scene right now...

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  903.1 KB
      04-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Respray over old paint generally ends up being a mess. Unless you get them sandblasted and professionally painted, its going to look pretty average and will only get worse over time. IMO its better to sell the stock wheels and use the money for the ones you really want.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep

aeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I had a set of mismatched APEX AERO-7's powdercoated to match in Triple Bronze. The powdercoater did sandblast them to remove the original finish. Came out great, IMO. Although it's certainly not the cheapest option, it's worth it to me. Definitely better than Plasti-Dip, which I think is one of the tackiest things going around the car scene right now...

i will in no way plasti dip my wheels.

please post more pics! those look awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
I would recommend having them powder coated. It's much more durable than a painted finish.
      04-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokejka View Post
i will in no way plasti dip my wheels.

please post more pics! those look awesome!
Take a gander at my build thread linked in my sig for more pics, including a few close ups. I'm currently away from home and don't have access o the files.
      04-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Lots of plati-dip hate! You might be surprised how many cars at shows are dipped. Side to side, there really is no visual difference - particularly with the metallics. If you want permanent, go with powder imo.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #11
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep

paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by esses View Post
Lots of plati-dip hate! You might be surprised how many cars at shows are dipped. Side to side, there really is no visual difference - particularly with the metallics. If you want permanent, go with powder imo.

Those look great. The 'hate' for plastidip comes from the 90% of the jobs looking the way they do. its obvious theres a good way to do it but my understanding is since it goes on so thick it is difficult to do it right/the way i want it to look. For an 'oem+' kind of finish powder coat has a much higher success rate
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
Orpo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition 6MT HS

I've always Plasti-Dipped my wheels.
However, this time I wanted to try painting them.

Lots of good info on Youtube. But take a look at ChrisFix for a good step by step demo.

Process I used:
1. Cleaned Wheels
2. Sanded major curb rash with Dremil
3. Cleaned wheels
4. Lightly sanded entire wheel including barrel with 800 grit sandpaper (to allow paint to stick)
5. Cleaned wheels
6. Cleaned wheels with Grease and Wax remover
7. Cleaned with cheesecloth
8. Applied 2-3 coats of Primer
9. Cleaned with cheesecloth
10. Applied 3 coats of Satin Black
11. Applied high gloss top coat

Advice:
  • Prep is everything.
  • If you plan to paint them in the garage, etc expect to get dust in the paint. It simply cannot be avoided in most cases.
  • Take your time, dont rush. Allow paint to try before moving from Primer to Paint.
  • Light layers at first and then progressively thicker coats. Dont allow to run. You can always sand runs, etc during the process.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #13
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep

paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpo View Post
I've always Plasti-Dipped my wheels.
However, this time I wanted to try painting them.

Lots of good info on Youtube. But take a look at ChrisFix for a good step by step demo.

Process I used:
1. Cleaned Wheels
2. Sanded major curb rash with Dremil
3. Cleaned wheels
4. Lightly sanded entire wheel including barrel with 800 grit sandpaper (to allow paint to stick)
5. Cleaned wheels
6. Cleaned wheels with Grease and Wax remover
7. Cleaned with cheesecloth
8. Applied 2-3 coats of Primer
9. Cleaned with cheesecloth
10. Applied 3 coats of Satin Black
11. Applied high gloss top coat

Advice:
  • Prep is everything.
  • If you plan to paint them in the garage, etc expect to get dust in the paint. It simply cannot be avoided in most cases.
  • Take your time, dont rush. Allow paint to try before moving from Primer to Paint.
  • Light layers at first and then progressively thicker coats. Dont allow to run. You can always sand runs, etc during the process.

Good luck
Thanks so much

My wheels are literally like new. zero scratches/scuffs/curb rash... i guess the first thing to do would be lightly scuff original paint. then prime, then repaint?

I have painted many thing before an dam experiences with spray and can
Appreciate 0