BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: What transmission did you choose and why?
Steptronic 3 8.33%
DCT 8 22.22%
Manual 25 69.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

02-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
qualitycontrol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i - Alpine white

Poll - What tranny do you have and why?

Just curious as I am wanting a BMW 135i and curious what people drive with typical mods: JB4, downpipes, exhaust, DCI.

I know this has been discussed a million times, but this is more of a poll of whats out there and what you are happy with/not happy with.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Monaco blue Metallic BMW 135i

I struggled for months choosing a transmission before I finally decided to get the manual.

The main factor for me was that I daily drive my car, and I didn't want to get sick of having the manual in traffic every day.

I think I chose the manual because it felt more "pure" to me, and I feel like I would have gotten bored with the automatic/steptronic.

I had never driven a manual before the day I got my car, and I actually went on a road trip to go scuba diving immediately after I purchased the car (it was for sale in a town on the way to the dive site 3 hours away), and although I stalled a couple times the first day or two, I've never regretted the manual.

There's really nothing like bashing through the gears without computer assistance or a "middleman" such as a computer (dct/step). Coming from a list of automatic cars, Imo you get a connection with the manual car like you don't get with autos. I find you have a lot more control over the car, and it's almost like a trust between the car and yourself.

The only downside I find is that with a manual, your clutch and flywheel are wear and tear items, and with more power you'll be putting more wear on the parts. Obviously if you drive perfectly and never make a mistake, they won't wear as badly.

The other downside I find is that with the manual I personally notice very small changes each time I drive; clutch doesn't feel exactly the same, power delivery doesn't feel exactly the same, steering doesn't feel exactly the same, etc etc, which may just be my extreme ocd and different driving conditions, but that's what I notice.

At the end of the day, I think I would've been happy with the automatic also.

Edit: I hate to add to this already long post, but you asked about parts: I haven't gotten to modding my car much yet because it's been damn cold in Canada, but I've got a box of parts waiting to be installed when the weather warms up (downpipes, tune, intake). I'm a bit hesitant to put too much power on the car as I don't want to wear out my clutch and be stuck with a large bill, on top of the fact that I don't need the tickets, but I know a lot of guys on here are running big numbers on stock parts without any issues.
      02-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

DCT because I'm already a proficient manual driver, on and off track, with access to manuals if I want them. Guess what I choose for nearly all my driving? DCT. I should note that I have a lot of exposure to the dual clutch gearboxes from the EVO X, and VW TSI, so it was no choice at all when I got my 135i because I already knew that DCT is way, way better.

DCT is AWESOME because:

--it just works (usually)
--it shifts fast as hell in either mode
--it shifts very hard in sport mode
--paddles and console lever all work correctly and in the correct direction
--almost zero thinking about shifting when driving under duress leaving all your concentration on steering, brake and throttle. in other words, FASTER even if you ignore the small time gained on ultra-fast shifts
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Manual b/c I've always liked them, much more fun than automatics. And I've driven them in many parts of the world including many years on the autobahn.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
qualitycontrol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I have driven many manuals, steptronic (slush box types) and I have been in the 135i DCT. Never had the ability to drive a manual 135 as they are not very common around here.
Here is my take...I really want a quality manual but my second choice is DCT. The only factor for a step is the price and availability.

Step
1. Cheapest option as there are just so many.
2. Seem to shift pretty fast. Much better step than many other manufacturers.
3. Rev match downshift, although not nearly as nice of a downshift as DCT.

DCT
1. Fastest shifting of all 3.
2. Rev matching and downshifting is excellent for an auto.
3. Most expensive because they only put them in 2011+
4. Repair/replacement is very expensive if something goes wrong.

Manual
1. Hard to find.
2. Enthusiast feel from what I hear.
3. Rather nice manual for what it is. Probably cheapest to repair and service.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #6
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Always loved manual for these cars. Being able to heel and toe is such a great feeling. I would only get automatic for a car if that was the only option. But I think my next car I'll try DCT since I never tried it before and the downshifts are amazing.

Manual also has more potential, even though it's more wear as power goes up, you can always upgrade to bigger clutches. On the other hand your are limited by the auto/dct clutch transmission since there are no upgrades or they are way too expensive.
      02-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
qualitycontrol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

really been trying to find a manual in my area...crossing fingers something comes up.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I have both an AT/N54 and MT/N54. Completely different cars. The AT is definitely faster on the street and obviously easier to drive. The speed of the shifts is not an issue. In sport mode there is no perceived loss of boost between WOT shifts. I am consistently able to lay down 4.1 second 0-60 times in sport mode with mild bolt-ons and no brake boosting. It also has better gearing for highway cruising. The paddle shifting leaves something to be desired. There is a slight delay between when you initiate the shift and when the transmission actually shifts. Nothing like an old ford, but it is not instantaneous. Don't ask me why, but switching to the M3 paddles seems to help. Even in manual, the ECU will take over in certain situations, such as up shifting at red line or in a high g turn. Other time it does the opposite. This inconsistency and the fact that you will overheat the transmission on the track are the major draw backs.

The MT needs no explanation, but there are a few things to consider. The feel of the clutch pedal is the worst I have ever experienced, but it can be fixed. First, whoever invented the clutch delay valve needs to be shot. The CDV may be great for a 16 year old learning to drive a manual, but it is absolutely horrible if you are proficient with a clutch. Then there is way too much dead space between the bottom of the clutch and the point of engagement. Third, the clutch is way to soft for my liking. I almost put my foot through the floorboard the first time I pressed in the clutch. There are a couple simple solutions that are well documented on this site. Most people would recommend you get a CDV-delete and clutch stop right away. If you want a firmer peddle, you can remove one of the return springs on the clutch. And if you're still not happy, get the UCP Ultimate Clutch Pedal. You can fine tune the firmness of the pedal, and it dramtically shortens the pedal's throw. As a reference, it lowers the clutch pedal to the level of the brake pedal.
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #9
anglocanadian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Edition

Manual , because i'm old school and enjoy the art of driving
Appreciate 3
      02-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #10
qualitycontrol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Awesome information provided here. I am seriously torn and here is why I am having doubts.

1. AT - I drive a lot in traffic going up to the cottage in the summer. This being said, hwy 400 in the summer can be a nightmare. AT would be great, but that delay in paddle shifting has me wondering if I will get bored with the car.

2. Manual - CDV delete and the peddle dead space are easy fixes. A soft clutch is not a problem either as I can adapt. Not sure how much clutches and wear parts are for the manual 135i? How hard is it to change myself?

I really am torn but some great points brought up here. I guess it depends what can be had at the best possible price.

Keep the replies coming. Your experience is key in helping myself and others understand what suits them best with these cars. A 15 minute test drive will not unveil all the possible issues one might have with their decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
I have both an AT/N54 and MT/N54. Completely different cars. The AT is definitely faster on the street and obviously easier to drive. The speed of the shifts is not an issue. In sport mode there is no perceived loss of boost between WOT shifts. I am consistently able to lay down 4.1 second 0-60 times in sport mode with mild bolt-ons and no brake boosting. It also has better gearing for highway cruising. The paddle shifting leaves something to be desired. There is a slight delay between when you initiate the shift and when the transmission actually shifts. Nothing like an old ford, but it is not instantaneous. Don't ask me why, but switching to the M3 paddles seems to help. Even in manual, the ECU will take over in certain situations, such as up shifting at red line or in a high g turn. Other time it does the opposite. This inconsistency and the fact that you will overheat the transmission on the track are the major draw backs.

The MT needs no explanation, but there are a few things to consider. The feel of the clutch pedal is the worst I have ever experienced, but it can be fixed. First, whoever invented the clutch delay valve needs to be shot. The CDV may be great for a 16 year old learning to drive a manual, but it is absolutely horrible if you are proficient with a clutch. Then there is way too much dead space between the bottom of the clutch and the point of engagement. Third, the clutch is way to soft for my liking. I almost put my foot through the floorboard the first time I pressed in the clutch. There are a couple simple solutions that are well documented on this site. Most people would recommend you get a CDV-delete and clutch stop right away. If you want a firmer peddle, you can remove one of the return springs on the clutch. And if you're still not happy, get the UCP Ultimate Clutch Pedal. You can fine tune the firmness of the pedal, and it dramtically shortens the pedal's throw. As a reference, it lowers the clutch pedal to the level of the brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #11
JS135
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

Why is Thailand not on the list?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Manual because I don't have a vagina.

Jk.

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglocanadian View Post
Manual , because i'm old school and enjoy the art of driving
This.

Doing my part to keep BMW offering manuals.
Appreciate 3
      02-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #14
GoodMoodley
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i Pure Stg 2, 15' 228i

DCT

Wife
Past: 1979 RX-7, 1980 Civic, 1989 B2200 lowrider, 1990 Golf GT, 1995 Civic Si Turbo, 2000 Civic SiR, 2000 328i, 2003 540i M-Sport, 2008 Rabbit, 2014 Pilot, 2002 A4 1.8T, 2009 A4 2.0T Quattro, 2017 CR-V Touring 2020 CR-V Touring

Current: 2012 135i, 2015 228i x-Drive, 2023 CR-V Touring Hybrid
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #15
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

DCT

This is my daily driver and got sick of stick. Had a stick shift mini for a while and loved the control but I truly believe DCT is the best of both worlds. Totally different cars but hey.

PPK with sport mode engaged, no human can shift like that and the sound is delicious!

God I'm obsessed, glorious machine of fun!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #16
qualitycontrol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I would love a dct but they are pricey.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #17
anglocanadian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Edition

Quote from Jalopnic review of the 2 series :

"The auto can do everything quicker and better than you can, but why give the robots all the fun?"
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 05:39 AM   #18
qualitycontrol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Still on the hunt for a good deal. Manual or DCT are very hard to come by in a good deal form! If you have anything, send me your offers.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #19
LangJai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i RWD 6MT

I guess another deciding factor is whether you prefer N54 or N55 engine, as DCT only comes as an option on N55 135i.

I'd say N54 6MT. The satisfaction from physically downshifting and rev-matching during daily drives, and heel-toeing as you prepare for the turn ahead...can't be substituted otherwise!
      03-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #20
qualitycontrol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Kind of where I am leaning. I am just looking to find a good buy at a good price. Because this is a summer car only and I have an SUV, I have no need to rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangJai View Post
I guess another deciding factor is whether you prefer N54 or N55 engine, as DCT only comes as an option on N55 135i.

I'd say N54 6MT. The satisfaction from physically downshifting and rev-matching during daily drives, and heel-toeing as you prepare for the turn ahead...can't be substituted otherwise!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #21
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i MT LeMans

Manual, for fear of being bored after a while. I like the driver engagement. Although DCT is definitely way faster and sometimes off the line it would be nice to have.

For me though, I made the right choice. The manual in our cars is great and gear shifts have a satisfying notch to them. Just don't go to aggressive into 3rd...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #22
qualitycontrol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

What happens going into third? Squirrely back end?
Appreciate 0