ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

01-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

Re-negotiating selling price??

Hey Guys,

So I placed my order back around December 15th for an M4, negotiated the price, got it in writing, and like everyone else, waiting for the car to go through production now. At the time the sales manager told me I couldn't take advantage of any of the incentives since I won't be getting my car until early March (i'm on the east coast). I expected this would be the case since that's what I had read from all the reading I did on the forum here.

Fast forward and there is a slightly lower finance rate offered in January compared to December, 2.92% vs. 2.99%, and a $1,250 option credit.

Should I be able to refinance the car and take advantage of the rate and credit now?

Since the price of the M4 went up is that going to affect my original selling price?

Also, if they try to tell me that the negotiated price we originally agreed on included the rebates that month can I call b.s.? (pretty sure it was $500 price reduction + $1000 option credit).

Just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I walk back into the dealership and refinance.

Sorry for the long read and thanks in advance for all the help!!
      01-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage View Post
Hey Guys,

So I placed my order back around December 15th for an M4, negotiated the price, got it in writing, and like everyone else, waiting for the car to go through production now. At the time the sales manager told me I couldn't take advantage of any of the incentives since I won't be getting my car until early March (i'm on the east coast). I expected this would be the case since that's what I had read from all the reading I did on the forum here.

Fast forward and there is a slightly lower finance rate offered in January compared to December, 2.92% vs. 2.99%, and a $1,250 option credit.

Should I be able to refinance the car and take advantage of the rate and credit now?

Since the price of the M4 went up is that going to affect my original selling price?

Also, if they try to tell me that the negotiated price we originally agreed on included the rebates that month can I call b.s.? (pretty sure it was $500 price reduction + $1000 option credit).

Just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I walk back into the dealership and refinance.

You haven't even taken delivery yet, so why would you need to refinance? Renegotiate, maybe worth asking.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
M3Teg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Honestly if you and the dealer agreed on a price. They should hold on to there side of the agreement. They knew when they were giving you the price that you weren't going to get the car till march. And even if they are losing the incentives they should just take it out of there profits and just give you the discount anyway. i think they are just trying to make some extra money off of you.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Teg View Post
Honestly if you and the dealer agreed on a price. They should hold on to there side of the agreement. They knew when they were giving you the price that you weren't going to get the car till march. And even if they are losing the incentives they should just take it out of there profits and just give you the discount anyway. i think they are just trying to make some extra money off of you.
He hasn't even talked to the dealer yet.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
Halcyon819
Bounty Hunter
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Hey Guys,

For financing, you can always run a new credit check and finance within the lowest lockable window.

Your sale order should have a break down of what got you to the price you are buying at. You can always get incentives as long as you take delivery of the car within a lockable window of time. Some incentives are only good the month of, and some are good 60-90 days within delivery of vehicle. You'll have to read the terms on BMW FS site for which incentives you qualify for and for what duration.

In conclusion, you haven't "bought" the car yet until you take delivery. Thus, you can always run a new credit check for financing (or finance with an outside bank -- as long as some incentives don't require you go through BMW FS. Your agreed upon sales price should not have included any incentives -- thus, utilize the best incentives that your delivery date qualifies for (this may change as Feb and March may have different incentives). To "lock" an incentive, you need to run financing paperwork within the the window of time as specified in the fine print. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #6
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
You haven't even taken delivery yet, so why would you need to refinance? Renegotiate, maybe worth asking.
MY bad, refinance wasn't the right term to use, just want to run the application again to take advantage of the new rate/incentive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Teg View Post

Haven't actually gone to the dealer yet but trying to avoid exactly what you are suggesting by getting all the info beforehand
      01-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #7
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

As others have already said, you haven't taken delivery so you are free to lock in whatever rates work best for you. Rates and negotiated price are tied to each other so your dealer should honor whatever price you agreed to regardless of what rates/incentives you take. When negotiating price, always work up from Invoice price and make sure you state that your offer is BEFORE any incentives. Incentives are not paid by the dealer so they are not losing money on that front.

With that being said, there is one important thing you need to consider. BMW FS rates and incentives can only be used for the same month. That is, you cannot take the Jan 2.92% rate and combine it with say Dec incentive or future incentives. Assuming you submitted your credit app in December, you should be locked for Dec finance rates and the $750 option credit that was offered at the time. Those are lockable for 60 days in your case since you are on the east coast. That is from 12/31 so you are good until 2/29. If your car is not due until March, you will lose that so will have to go with Jan/Feb/Mar rates.

Also, if you are a current BMW FS customer or have been one in the past 12 months, there is a current 2 payment loyalty credit of up to $500/mo. This credit can be combined with any of the rates since it is a BMW FS credit and not a standard BMW incentive offered to all.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F83 M4 Convertible 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
You should be locked in to your current rate/incentives for 60 days. If the rates/incentives get better you should be able to relock at the better rate. This is what i was told.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #9
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
Generally, the way you would negotiate the deal is invoice + Profit - incentives at delivery. For financing, just go to a credit union and you can get a better rate. Some incentives you can lock in and some you can't. Only one that works anytime (even for ED) is if you're a BMWCCA member for at least year you can get a $500 rebate.

Also yes the price of the M4 going up will impact your deal. I had a similar situation. I negotiated my 2016 based on 2015 prices. The deal for me actually came out cheaper since the base price went up, but the options got cheaper. HK sound became standard and I got in before the destination fee went up.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyDC
Generally, the way you would negotiate the deal is invoice + Profit - incentives at delivery. For financing, just go to a credit union and you can get a better rate. Some incentives you can lock in and some you can't. Only one that works anytime (even for ED) is if you're a BMWCCA member for at least year you can get a $500 rebate.

Also yes the price of the M4 going up will impact your deal. I had a similar situation. I negotiated my 2016 based on 2015 prices. The deal for me actually came out cheaper since the base price went up, but the options got cheaper. HK sound became standard and I got in before the destination fee went up.
Is the bmw CCA credit based on being a member for one year at the time of delivery of when you sign paperwork?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #11
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyDC View Post

Also yes the price of the M4 going up will impact your deal. I had a similar situation. I negotiated my 2016 based on 2015 prices...
This should not be the case here since the model year is not changing. A bunch of us locked in our price when we ordered back in Nov/Dec and are keeping the same negotiated deal when we take delivery in the new year. If dealer tries to increase price or tell me that new rates mean new price, I would call BS, but not worried because my CA has already confirmed everything before I take delivery in Feb.

Now, it seems like OP has some room to negotiate since it seems dealer is only discounting $500 off MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #12
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Is the bmw CCA credit based on being a member for one year at the time of delivery of when you sign paperwork?
Delivery - straight from the terms and conditions on the rebate form:

A membership of one year or more immediately preceding the delivery date of the vehicle is required to take advantage of this program. A member in good standing cannot have any lapse in membership during that 12-month period.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #13
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
This should not be the case here since the model year is not changing. A bunch of us locked in our price when we ordered back in Nov/Dec and are keeping the same negotiated deal when we take delivery in the new year. If dealer tries to increase price or tell me that new rates mean new price, I would call BS, but not worried because my CA has already confirmed everything before I take delivery in Feb.

Now, it seems like OP has some room to negotiate since it seems dealer is only discounting $500 off MSRP.
Read this. http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1211850

If OP has a production number already they might be okay.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #14
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post

That's good too know, I was wondering if i tried to lock in new rates/incentives if they would say I'd have to base that off of the increased price instead of the original sales price.

FTR, i did my research prior to negotiating and thanks to all of the great info on here i got $4,995 off of msrp which from what I read landed me somewhere between $800-1200 above invoice. If all goes well and I can get the $1250 option credit that would put me right on or just under invoice.

I do have a production # too it's sitting at status 111 as of last Thursday, really hoping it goes into 150 by the end of the week.

I'm not a current BMW FS customer nor have been recently but the loyalty credit on top of everything would have been sweet!
      01-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #15
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
If you relock to current rates you also get current base price.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #16
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOOF View Post
hmmm, I'm still gonna give it a try and see if i can keep the original price but if you're right it would still come out to a better price so either way no complaints.
      01-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #17
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
hmmm, I'm still gonna give it a try and see if i can keep the original price but if you're right it would still come out to a better price so either way no complaints.
Yeah it would, a $300 bump in base vs extra 250 incentive and lower interest rate. Id do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #18
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I don't believe this is true. Rates and price are separate - you can relock the rates without affecting the price. The price is set at the date of order.
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #19
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
I don't believe this is true. Rates and price are separate - you can relock the rates without affecting the price. The price is set at the date of order.
I read in another thread if you relock to the current rate you would also have to take the current price. They said you cant make a "super deal"
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:47 PM   #20
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I read in another thread if you relock to the current rate you would also have to take the current price. They said you cant make a "super deal"
What they meant (or should have said) was that you can't combine rebates from one month and finance rates from another month. Whichever month you choose for rates, that's the month with the rebates that matter. Can't have December rebates and January financing rates.
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #21
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
What they meant (or should have said) was that you can't combine rebates from one month and finance rates from another month. Whichever month you choose for rates, that's the month with the rebates that matter. Can't have December rebates and January financing rates.
Youre right. I just looked back and it was about keeping the mf/res and getting the new incentive. You cant do that, all or nothing.

So OP should not have to pay the extra 300 in base to get the new incentives.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #22
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Youre right. I just looked back and it was about keeping the mf/res and getting the new incentive. You cant do that, all or nothing.

So OP should not have to pay the extra 300 in base to get the new incentives.

Thanks for the confirmation guys! Great to know