Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

12-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
RussianPete
Captain
Russia
Rep
Drives: AY M4

School me on buying a car from forum member

Hey guys,

Im just about ready to buy a car and i found a bunch of great deals on this forum. Sadly none of the are within even 500 miles of me. So how do i go about purchasing a car from someone who lives across the country from me? How do you know they dont have a debt on the car? How do you know the car wont be repossessed from you? So many possibilities.

Same question goes for assuming their lease.

Also how do you go about buying parts for sale by members. Do you just paypal them out and expect them to send out the parts you order?

Thank you in advance, i really needed some help with this.
      12-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
DrivingForce
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80 Transporter View Post
Hey guys,

Im just about ready to buy a car and i found a bunch of great deals on this forum. Sadly none of the are within even 500 miles of me. So how do i go about purchasing a car from someone who lives across the country from me? How do you know they dont have a debt on the car? How do you know the car wont be repossessed from you? So many possibilities.

Same question goes for assuming their lease.

Also how do you go about buying parts for sale by members. Do you just paypal them out and expect them to send out the parts you order?

Thank you in advance, i really needed some help with this.
For the assuming of a lease, there is some good information at the bottom of the OP in the thread link below, outlining some of the process associated with transferring a lease, and details to pay attention to if going that route.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1084623
Delivery Date - 1/8/16
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80 Transporter View Post
Yup! Try to find successful sale history from them, anything to prove they are legit. Other wise hope paypal or your credit card company are really good with refunding fraudulent sales.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I just sold a car long distance (not through the forum though). The car was still financed, so I provided a payoff quote to the buyer for him to provide to his bank (I was Penfed, he was USAA). His bank expressed a check to my bank for the balance due as well as a check for the equity directly to me. I drafted a Bill of Sale which included my info, the buyer's info, the status of the payments, etc. which we both signed and kept copies of. He obtained his own insurance, but drove the car home with my plates. Once he received the lien release from my bank he was able to go to his DMV and get his own plates and send mine back (about two weeks). It was incredibly simple. He drove the car out of my driveway less than 48 hours after I accepted his offer.

I provided about 100 detailed photos of the car along with a detailed history of the maintenance/repairs/warranty work. I've bought and sold several cars long distance over the years. I can tell you for certain that if you're uncomfortable with the buyer/seller at any point during the process - trust your instincts. If you don't get direct answers, have trouble making contact, or get any sort of runaround walk away.
Appreciate 2