Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

12-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

Let the allocation waiting game begin

Given the relatively slow day at work I finally took the time to visit my local BMW dealer. I was hoping to place an order on a new M3, since was hoping to get the new car sometime before next summer. But apparently all allocations are sold already

Best thing the SA could offer is to put me on a waiting list and he said that as soon as they get a new allocation he's going to call me. Was anyone else on the same boat, and if so how long does it usually take for a dealer to get new allocations for an M3? Btw this is in the BA.

Now instead of keep checking the order progress site, I am going to be checking my phone for a call. sml.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I'm on the West Coast and had to wait about 6 weeks for an allocation. Got a week 5 build. It's actually a bit rediculous that they can't get more built especially since this is the second year for the F80/82.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #3
dalto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
They typically get allocations once a month.

I would ask what number on the list you are.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
They typically get allocations once a month.

I would ask what number on the list you are.
I was a bit bummed at that point and of course forgot to ask. SA said he'll call me as soon as the first allocation is available, not sure if that meant I am first on the list. He said the last 2 got sold last Saturday.

Waiting 6 weeks just to get an allocation is going to be hell!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Same here, called everywhere in Texas....thought of migrating my search west but seems the same. Dealers are lying about the whens and hows about allocations. Some say wait until Jan 3 and we'll have allocations, another told me he has one for a week 1 build...yet when I say okay let's get a build number and here's my deposit.....yadayadayada.

Now supposedly I'm getting information from forum experts that say they already received January allocations and Feb is what's next.....bout to say fuck it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mencio View Post
Given the relatively slow day at work I finally took the time to visit my local BMW dealer. I was hoping to place an order on a new M3, since was hoping to get the new car sometime before next summer. But apparently all allocations are sold already

Best thing the SA could offer is to put me on a waiting list and he said that as soon as they get a new allocation he's going to call me. Was anyone else on the same boat, and if so how long does it usually take for a dealer to get new allocations for an M3? Btw this is in the BA.

Now instead of keep checking the order progress site, I am going to be checking my phone for a call. sml.
Yes and no, my dealer gave it to me straight and said I would be 1st in line to get allocation the first week of the next month when he knew new allocations would be handed out. He was willing to make a "deal", and give me numbers even before giving me the official allocation. We figured out the numbers, agreed, and then also agreed if BMW FS numbers were better next month, he would make my deal "better" than it was already. He kept his word, handed me the allocation and put my order in that first week, and gave me the deal I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
m4recruiter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - ED Pick-up 4/29/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake
I'm getting information from forum experts that say they already received January allocations and Feb is what's next.
I believe what your CA is referring to as "Feb being next" is the build week. My CA was going to see about giving me a production number in Nov for Dec build week, but it was way too early (I'm doing ED in April).

Based on what my CA told me, I will get production number in Jan for late Feb/early Mar build week. So essentially, "I'm on the list".

The reward for patience is M
2001 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:

I started my search end of October and am also in SFBay. I had the same issue with every dealer in our area. All said I would be on a 4 month wait list as all allocations were sold. On top of that, no way they were going to move off of MSRP. One even told me they were getting 5-10k over MSRP. Total joke!!

So...

I picked up the phone and started calling and e-mailing every dealer I could find in CA starting with the L.A area. One of the first dealers to reply said they had a production # ready for me as long as I gave them a 10% deposit. I called BS and they never were able to produce a number BMW genius could verify.

A few days later, I get a call from another dealer in the BA and was told they had a week 1 allocation. This time only $1K deposit, but again at MSRP. Sounded suspicious since they had previously told me at least a 4 month wait and they could not explain how they got the allocation (some will trade with other dealers). They did give me what they said was a production # and all it turned out to be was an order # yet to be accepted by BMW AG (status 47).

Thanksgiving weekend - I got lucky and got a call from another dealer in the northern L.A. area. They had valid "dealer" production # at status 112 that they offered to convert to "customer sold" production #. I was only able to get them down to 2.5% off MSRP, but given the tight allocations and the fact that the car was days away from going into production, I jumped on it. Again, they only asked for 1K deposit which they technically have not yet charged. My order is now sitting at port waiting for a ship and I should take delivery in January. Not a great deal by comparison to others on here, but it is one I am happy with given the circumstances.

Sorry for the long winded story. The point is that there are allocations out there, but you have to be willing to put the work into finding them and decide how far you are willing to travel or pay for shipping. Best of luck!
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #9
mntbiker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I think I'm in a similar situation. I would like to do an ED in late May 2016, and I'm thinking I should probably start looking around for an allocation. It feels really early to start talking to dealers, but I've heard about the long waits others are seeing.

I guess for a mid-May build date, I would be looking at allocations released in the April timeframe? I guess I could get on a list to be first in line once the April allocations become available.

I'm sure others have been in a similar situation... advice?

EDIT: Ha, just saw this thread which is basically my same exact situation: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1209635
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update:

Went to a different dealer this morning and even though he did not have any allocations, he took my configuration and put it in the order bank. This time he told me that I was the first in line for the January allocations, and he was pretty confident that I should be able to get my car sometime in April!!!
      12-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #11
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Quick update:

Went to a different dealer this morning and even though he did not have any allocations, he took my configuration and put it in the order bank. This time he told me that I was the first in line for the January allocations, and he was pretty confident that I should be able to get my car sometime in April!!!
Did you tell them you had placed an order at another dealer? These are the games dealers play here in the BA and there is no real way for you to know what # you are on a waiting list. The one dealer that told me they had a week 1 allocation did so after realizing that I was shopping around (remember, he originally told me 4 month wait for allocation). As others have said and I learned personally, there is no guarantee that a dealer will get any allocations. I learned that in the month of Nov, only 100 allocations were given in total. December brought about the same numbers. Now, it could be that the Holidays had everything do with the low allocations and there will be plenty of allocations issued in Jan for Feb production. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:22 PM   #12
SDf10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 YMB M3

I feel the pain guys. My order story was quite similar until I found a great CA in BMW Long Beach (i'm in San Diego). He told it to me straight, he had no allocation but the best we could do was put my name in the order bank, and he did not need a deposit. We agreed on $1500 over invoice, which I am fine with. I sent in my app and a week and a half later, he called me and game me a production number!! I am a week 5 week and very excited for my car! Hang in there, it will be worth it. If they don't have an allocation number (customer sold and accepted at AG) DO NOT GIVE THEM A CENT for deposit.
      01-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #13
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

So I'm still being told they don't know when they're getting any, I'm number one on the list blahblahblah.
So my question is simple, do dealers know when they're getting an allocation for sure, every month this time you get xyz, or is this a lottery type deal that BMW releases on a whim whenever they feel like, so the dealer is as much a poor little "victim" as me waiting around.

They make it seem like it's a big mystery when and how many allocations they will get for any given month. Anyone have an answer. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #14
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

allocations are month to month and dealers know how many they get each month at that current time/month only. there never is a set number guaranteed each month that number can always change but stays somewhat consistent but there is never a guarantee of anything

example you could get 2 one month and 0 the next you never know for sure

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #15
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
allocations are month to month and dealers know how many they get each month at that current time/month only. there never is a set number guaranteed each month that number can always change but stays somewhat consistent but there is never a guarantee of anything

example you could get 2 one month and 0 the next you never know for sure
Thank you, this is very appreciated, seems an honest answer is hard to come by. If you don't have it, you don't have it, ok got it. I just found it difficult to understand that they don't know when in the month they get it. First week, second, the end of the month?....and when would they know they aren't getting any, the last day of the month?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #16
dalto
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
So I'm still being told they don't know when they're getting any, I'm number one on the list blahblahblah.
So my question is simple, do dealers know when they're getting an allocation for sure, every month this time you get xyz, or is this a lottery type deal that BMW releases on a whim whenever they feel like, so the dealer is as much a poor little "victim" as me waiting around.

They make it seem like it's a big mystery when and how many allocations they will get for any given month. Anyone have an answer. Much appreciated.
They know what times of the month they receive allocations but not how many or what kind they will receive.

At the end of the day, you have two choices.

1 - Find a dealer that has an existing allocation. May require a lot of looking around potentially outside your geography.
2 - Find a dealer you trust and get on their waiting list.

The demand for these allocations is high enough that if you are waiting for a certain dealer to have an allocation that is not spoken for already that time may never come because the people on their list will typically get the allocations as they come in.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #17
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
They know what times of the month they receive allocations but not how many or what kind they will receive.

At the end of the day, you have two choices.

1 - Find a dealer that has an existing allocation. May require a lot of looking around potentially outside your geography.
2 - Find a dealer you trust and get on their waiting list.

The demand for these allocations is high enough that if you are waiting for a certain dealer to have an allocation that is not spoken for already that time may never come because the people on their list will typically get the allocations as they come in.
Yeah, I have narrowed it down to two dealers in my area, as I got tired of following up with seven different people all saying a varying degree of information. I have pretty much exhausted every avenue in Texas with no luck, I considered going out west but made one call and immediately the same results started playing out. I lost motivation to fight this battle on multiple fronts.

One shows me a build sheet in status 047 and priority 01, customer sold(no deposit). But they could draw up eight of those and give them out as welcome cards when people walk in the door.

So the situation is believably as they describe or they are holding and or managing information due to demand and or business motives.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #18
m4recruiter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - ED Pick-up 4/29/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4recruiter
"I'm on the list".

The reward for patience is M
I'm "off the list!"

I got my production number at 112 status with a week 4 build!

Because I am Euro Delivery in April, this will likely be pushed back a bit.
2001 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #19
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Thank you, this is very appreciated, seems an honest answer is hard to come by. If you don't have it, you don't have it, ok got it. I just found it difficult to understand that they don't know when in the month they get it. First week, second, the end of the month?....and when would they know they aren't getting any, the last day of the month?
first few days of each month is when BMW gives us all the info

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #20
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
first few days of each month is when BMW gives us all the info
I would assume this but I've now been told that BMW's actual "sales" year ends this week, so next week they should know something.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #21
dalto
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
One shows me a build sheet in status 047 and priority 01, customer sold(no deposit). But they could draw up eight of those and give them out as welcome cards when people walk in the door.

So the situation is believably as they describe or they are holding and or managing information due to demand and or business motives.
When I was waiting for an allocation that was the same situation I was in.

That is why you need to find a dealer you feel you can trust so that you are not getting bumped.

Also, make sure you have negotiated the selling price of the car, don't wait for the allocation to come through to do that.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #22
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
I would assume this but I've now been told that BMW's actual "sales" year ends this week, so next week they should know something.
Allocations also coincide with the current rates and when they expire which are not always the last day of the month. December rates expire today due to the Friday holiday and weekend. Think of it as the first few days of the current months incentives.
Appreciate 0