Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

12-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
SlapShot81
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW M4, BSM 6MT

Unexpected charge 3 weeks later - Any thoughts?

It's been a few weeks since I have picked up my car after the re-delivery (ED). Yesterday I got a note from my CA stating that there is an outstanding charge associated with the install of the black grills. This was a total surprise as I was never told by my CA or the service/parts department that there would a charge for this install. We have never discussed this nor did they have me sign anything stating that there will be a charge. I sure would have gone with someone else if I knew that they would charge me for this. Now, three weeks later, they are trying to collect the installation fees that were never agreed upon. It's not the cost that I have an issue with but the fact that I am being pressured with charges that were never brought up before. Just like with any service or repair, BMW is very good at having you sign/initial a work order accepting the charges before the work begins. They also do not let you drive out of the dealership until the charges are paid in full. My situation is a bit different... Guys, any opinion on this or a similar experience?
      12-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
How much is is? If it's not much, I'd tell them that you do not agree with the charge (and explain why) and if they make you pay it then you will take your car for service elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #3
sos
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

It's a 15 minute job max, I'd be going to your sales advisor and asking them if they really want service to charge you for this, bearing in mind where future purchases may go.

It's only a small charge, but the service department has to account for all labour time. I would suggest that they ask Sales to pay for it, not you!!
      12-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Agree with the above. I would not be paying this...
      12-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Dont pay it and complain to your CA and SA.

Mine had the black grills installed upon delivery and I was never billed.

Post pics of new car
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
bigsid05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 MG/SO M4

I assume you bought the grills from the dealer at MSRP? Their margin should MORE than cover the 20 mins of installation time.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Tell them you are not an idiot and you know it takes 10-15 minutes to swap out grills, then ask if this is really the kinda thing they wanna go after a customer for.

If they try to say they took the bumper off to put them on then remind them that they are idiots for complicating such a simple job.
      12-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
M Heart
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I completely understand your concern since the installation charges were not discussed with you prior to doing the job. But personally, if I purchased any sort of accessory that "needs to be installed", I would assumed there would be "labor charge" associated with it. At that point A) I would of asked for installation charge amount, or B) I would of mentally be ready for the bill when it came in. Again, that's just me.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
dalto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Heart View Post
I completely understand your concern since the installation charges were not discussed with you prior to doing the job. But personally, if I purchased any sort of accessory that "needs to be installed", I would assumed there would be "labor charge" associated with it. At that point A) I would of asked for installation charge amount, or B) I would of mentally be ready for the bill when it came in. Again, that's just me.
Perhaps in a normal situation I would agree with you but not on something that was negotiated as part of the initial sale of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
M Heart
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
Perhaps in a normal situation I would agree with you but not on something that was negotiated as part of the initial sale of the vehicle.
I agree 100% with you if it was part of the sale or agreed deal. Maybe I missed it, but I never read anywhere on the OP's post that it was part of the sale.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 03:05 PM   #11
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Silverstone

In my experience with bmw, they always have me sign paperwork before I take possession of the vehicle that includes all charges and a specific paper that states that no other items (accessories) pending. In my opinion, they dropped the ball. It should have been included before you left the dealership with the car. They eat the cost. That's bad business to try to collect something from a customer later. Take it to the GM of the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #12
mrduder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

ok, so here's my stance. and I'll probably get shit for it, but I'd pay it. installation of anything costs money. just the way it is. think of it like going to a restaurant and only getting charged for one meal when you ordered two. would you look at the bill and just go, oh sweet, they didn't charge me for it so I guess I just don't owe that. or would you ask the server if they made a mistake? and if they did make a mistake, would you pay it or just say it's your fault for screwing up, I'm not gonna pay that? people make mistakes, stuff happens. but they did the work and I'd pay it. I didn't install mine myself and I had to pay for the labor to get it done even though it took 15 minutes. it was my lazy-ass fee hahaha
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 05:03 PM   #13
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprgeorge
In my experience with bmw, they always have me sign paperwork before I take possession of the vehicle that includes all charges and a specific paper that states that no other items (accessories) pending. In my opinion, they dropped the ball. It should have been included before you left the dealership with the car. They eat the cost. That's bad business to try to collect something from a customer later. Take it to the GM of the dealership.
I completely agree. I'm a business owner, and I would never charge someone after I provided the service because 'the charge was inadvertently left out.' Then again, I'm fully aware of costs that go in and out, so I'm on top of things like this. And something like this would be an isolated incident, so I eat the cost. That's the cost of wanting to be customer service oriented. In the case of OP, the service advisor probably doesn't know any better, as far as maintaining long term relationships with clients, and now you're stuck with a labor charge. If you take this to the service manager, or GM, I'm sure this will be written off.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #14
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Black grills aren't that unusual on a new car. I've seen one listed new on a lot with them and there was no additional installation charge associated with buying that particular car (which I almost bought before I bought the car I have now). IMO anything that is ordered with the car and is delivered new with the car shouldn't have an install charge whether installed at factory or dealer. Further, even if it should be charged, it needs to be communicated before the part is ordered / work is done, not 3 weeks later.

I'm sure there are others here that ordered their cars with black grills or other M accessories and can share whether or not they paid install.
      12-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #15
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Did they return the stock chrome grills to you? If they didn't tell them you want to be reimbursed for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #16
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
My dealer installed the IND body color grill surrounds, kept the chrome ones, and didn't charge me a cent.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #17
SlapShot81
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post

If they try to say they took the bumper off to put them on then remind them that they are idiots for complicating such a simple job.
Funny, but that's exactly what they said about taking the bumper off to have the grills installed. This was an ED purchase so the grills were outside of the PO but I purchased them from the dealer on the same day I financed the car. They made it seem like it was not a big deal until three weeks after I picked up the car. Got a phone call from my CA that he remembers telling me about the installation charges, which I swear never happened, and either I have to pay or he has to pay out of pocket. Well, I don't really care about their internal business practices, but the fact of it is, I have never been told or have been asked to sign anything that I acknowledge any charges associated with the install. I have not seen the total yet, but it's the idea that bothers me. I should probably also expect a separate charge for the car wash, inspection, and detailing...
      12-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #18
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

It's a very quick job and I am sure if you knew they were going to charge you, you would've installed it yourself. Refuse to pay.
      12-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #19
SlapShot81
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
IMO anything that is ordered with the car and is delivered new with the car shouldn't have an install charge whether installed at factory or dealer.
Mine was weird in that it was an ED purchase so I could not have the grills on the PO, but I did buy those on the same day from the same dealer and they kept those until the car got re-delivered to them. They then put those on and everything was great until three weeks later when they notified my of the invoice that is coming my way... I don't want to sound cheap, and this is probably not much money after all, but I do not appreciate surprises like this one. Everything was discussed and never did they tell me I would have to pay for this... I have asked them to send me a work order for this install that indicated charges and signed by me. This is starting to get nasty and certainly leaves a bitter taste
      12-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #20
SlapShot81
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
It's a very quick job and I am sure if you knew they were going to charge you, you would've installed it yourself. Refuse to pay.
Exactly! I was thinking about putting those on myself but my CA told me they can swap those at delivery... Very shady business practices.
      12-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #21
USAM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Sounds like you probably have bad memory. Just pay the outstanding invoice and quit being a cheapskate about it and move on with your life. I'm sure most dealerships have better things to do than to fabricate charges and risk their reputation or business license. They were probably doing you a last minute favor to make the sale and you forgot about the agreement.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #22
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Silverstone

If it was not in writing, the discussion never can be confirmed. Hate to be a stickler but that's how it works. Good businesses have paperwork to back up their services rendered and signed by the customer. To end it, yes pay it but make it clear when BMW sends you the dealership survey/evaluation e mail you will be very clear that your experience was disappointing. These surveys are very important to the dealerships. They depend on good surveys.
Appreciate 0