Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

12-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Sell me on your preferred transmission...

I know, this thread probably exists somewhere else... buried away. It is probably long and by now, off topic. I hope you all don't mind too much that I'm bringing this back to the surface.

I have just ordered a 2016 F80. Traditionally, I am a decisive person. Not this time...

I've driven a 2015 F80 with the DCT. I rented one for about four days a few months back so I feel like I had an adequate "test drive". Ever since, I've wanted the car.

To those 6MT fans/gurus, as you know all too well... there's something about rowing through those gears! I've also read this is one of the best manual transmissions the fine folks at BMW have made yet. For that reason, I've ordered my car in this configuration. I haven't driven one though which has me wondering... I know what to expect with the DCT and don't with 6MT. Although, this hasn't yet deterred me...I just want to make the right decision.

I know that you can't go wrong either way. I know the car is incredible in both configurations. I know there is no right or wrong answer and it is mostly a matter of personal preference. I just want to hear your input and experiences. Thanks to all in advance.

Ready, set, GO!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
imyopusha
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP in Singapore Gray

You have to go with 6MT. If not for just the fun factor, you have 2,800 more reasons. Plus, on road courses, you live in 3rd and 4th gear and don't need to shift much as the power band is so long and potent.
2012 335i (SOLD)
Instagram- AY_M3 My ED thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1176511
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
I know, this thread probably exists somewhere else... buried away.
Try here

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=916402

and here

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1059765
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
DarksideM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I went with DCT, not that I am against being a purist of manuals, but the tech in this car has advanced so much you have already lost a lot of that old analog engaging experience performance cars once had. I DD mine in euro MDM and S3 mode so it is engaging enough for me with the luxury of going into dumb commuter traffic jam mode at a push of the button. I just think for the era of this car's tech and engine it was designed to marry with the DCT better.

I miss rowing my own gears but if I really wanted it that bad I would just pickup an E39 or E46 M car and get the old nostalgia without all the overbearing tech nannies.

Lol sure that didn't sell anyone, the car will be fun in either configuration so you win no matter what
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

CVT's are the best!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
dalto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
To me, the two big advantages of the 6MT are the cost savings and the connected driving experience you get from driving a manual transmission.

If you are willing to sacrifice those two things the DCT is technically better.

For me personally, I just don't want to drive an MT car all the time so I chose the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

"sell me on your preferred transmission"? like - you'll pay me for it? if you can afford a new M car, and test drive them... ugh. do I need to continue?

Here. Do this please. Find the guy with the blown out knee (really sorry dude) and get the exact car with DCT that he wants, buy that car, and then trade him for his MT.

I have an MT. I like it a lot. Sold?
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
sh55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9805 E46 ZCP 6MT and '9

I have a 6MT M4 and I agree that it is the best BMW manual I have ever driven. However the DCT is pretty badass and as mentioned it fits the high tech car.

What made me choose 6MT over DCT was the following:
- Have only owned MT cars for the past 15 years
- I do not use my car to commute, no traffic concerns
- I know there is a good chance BMW will stop offering manual transmissions so I want to hold out as long as I can
- I like the engaging feeling of rowing the gears, even if it's slower than the DCT. I bought the car for pleasure, not shaving .2 seconds off lap times
'97 911S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imyopusha View Post
You have to go with 6MT. If not for just the fun factor, you have 2,800 more reasons. Plus, on road courses, you live in 3rd and 4th gear and don't need to shift much as the power band is so long and potent.

All great points!
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #10
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
thank you for the links!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanween View Post
I went with DCT, not that I am against being a purist of manuals, but the tech in this car has advanced so much you have already lost a lot of that old analog engaging experience performance cars once had. I DD mine in euro MDM and S3 mode so it is engaging enough for me with the luxury of going into dumb commuter traffic jam mode at a push of the button. I just think for the era of this car's tech and engine it was designed to marry with the DCT better.

I miss rowing my own gears but if I really wanted it that bad I would just pickup an E39 or E46 M car and get the old nostalgia without all the overbearing tech nannies.

Lol sure that didn't sell anyone, the car will be fun in either configuration so you win no matter what

haha true! I'm sure you can't go wrong. Its interesting to hear everyone's perspective though. I can see why you would think that though. I drove the DCT for four days a few months back and the acceleration was unreal! I loved it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #12
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKixxon View Post
"sell me on your preferred transmission"? like - you'll pay me for it? if you can afford a new M car, and test drive them... ugh. do I need to continue?

Here. Do this please. Find the guy with the blown out knee (really sorry dude) and get the exact car with DCT that he wants, buy that car, and then trade him for his MT.

haha nice man! I wish I could find one to test drive. It's not that easy... there aren't really any in norcal that I've been able to find. Just trying to do my research and make an educated decision. I'm pretty 50/50 on this.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your MT. That is how I ordered it. Unfortunately, I have another 5 weeks or so until I go into production so that means 5 weeks to torture myself and go back and forth. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #13
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh55 View Post
I have a 6MT M4 and I agree that it is the best BMW manual I have ever driven. However the DCT is pretty badass and as mentioned it fits the high tech car.

What made me choose 6MT over DCT was the following:
- Have only owned MT cars for the past 15 years
- I do not use my car to commute, no traffic concerns
- I know there is a good chance BMW will stop offering manual transmissions so I want to hold out as long as I can
- I like the engaging feeling of rowing the gears, even if it's slower than the DCT. I bought the car for pleasure, not shaving .2 seconds off lap times
I'd have to agree with you on these points. I too had a MT for about 10 years. Lately, I've been driving an auto and miss that third pedal. Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

Quote:
haha nice man! I wish I could find one to test drive. It's not that easy... there aren't really any in norcal that I've been able to find. Just trying to do my research and make an educated decision. I'm pretty 50/50 on this.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your MT. That is how I ordered it. Unfortunately, I have another 5 weeks or so until I go into production so that means 5 weeks to torture myself and go back and forth. lol
Well I will say this: I've driven MT cars since my first Datsun 510, and this is the best MT I have ever driven in my life. So if you do like MT to begin with I think you will like this one too.

Note: I've never driven the S2000 or some of the other greats people rave about, so my experience is limited. Also I've been doing it wrong, and this was incredibly helpful to me: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1183996
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #15
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

I don't have an M4 yet, but it will definitely have a manual trans. Why? Because God accepts everyone into Heaven who has one!

If this doesn't sell you, don't know what will
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #16
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
CVT's are the best!
?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #17
qspring
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
I'd have to agree with you on these points. I too had a MT for about 10 years. Lately, I've been driving an auto and miss that third pedal. Thanks for your input.
I went with a 6MT for this reason alone. I missed how engaged it feels when driving a 6MT. The car's optimal configuration is with a DCT in respect to being quicker, but at the end of the day it's about what makes you jump in your car and enjoy the drive.
      12-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #18
MFore
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

No telling how much longer you will have the option of a manual. So get it now while you can.
Also the clutch is so light driving in traffic is not an issue. Plus its just more fun. And this is a fun car.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #19
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
I don't have an M4 yet, but it will definitely have a manual trans. Why? Because God accepts everyone into Heaven who has one!

If this doesn't sell you, don't know what will
Haha I'm good with that!

Quote:
Well I will say this: I've driven MT cars since my first Datsun 510, and this is the best MT I have ever driven in my life. So if you do like MT to begin with I think you will like this one too.

Note: I've never driven the S2000 or some of the other greats people rave about, so my experience is limited. Also I've been doing it wrong, and this was incredibly helpful to me: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1183996
That's awesome to hear! That's what I've been reading as well so I'm definitely leaning towards sticking w/ the 6MT. I will defnitely check out that link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
?
Agree w/ above.. not sure what that means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qspring View Post
I went with a 6MT for this reason alone. I missed how engaged it feels when driving a 6MT. The car's optimal configuration is with a DCT in respect to being quicker, but at the end of the day it's about what makes you jump in your car and enjoy the drive.
Exactly! I agree. I had a blast in the DCT rental but just picture the 6MT being even more fun. Plus, I can't imagine you'd really be able to perceive it as slower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFore View Post
No telling how much longer you will have the option of a manual. So get it now while you can.
Also the clutch is so light driving in traffic is not an issue. Plus its just more fun. And this is a fun car.
That is also great to hear! I was wondering how stiff the clutch is... I won't be doing a whole lot of commuting in it but for those times that I do happen to get stuck in traffic, a stiff clutch is not so enjoyable.

Thank you all so much for all the input so far, this is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #20
SlapShot81
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW M4, BSM 6MT

The idea of the 6MT being obsolete someday makes me worried... No DCT would ever replace the experience of driving the manual gearbox. Go manual!!
      12-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #21
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

I test drove a manual m3. The pedal placement is excellent for heel toe, the clutch is light and the shifts are relatively shorter and more direct than the e92. Should not be an issue driving in traffic. Very involving experience with the manual. I have a s4 with dual clutch and as much as I enjoy the dual clutch, it's just not as engaging of an experience. I ordered mine in MT. Long live the MT.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 11:17 PM   #22
xman11
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3, r53 mcs

Quote:

+1. To give up driving MT and having a bum knee is truly a tragedy.

If you're on the fence, just get the DCT. It's one of the best in the world and a bargain at $2900.

With MT, I can change up my shifting style instinctively without having to decide which BMW "program" is best for the situation at hand. That's why I chose it. Saving $2900 for a more refined MT over past gens was a nice topping.

PS. with the money you save on the MT, please send a commission check to JoeKixxon and the rest of the folks who vouched for MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZEVO View Post
I test drove a manual m3. The pedal placement is excellent for heel toe, the clutch is light and the shifts are relatively shorter and more direct than the e92. Should not be an issue driving in traffic. Very involving experience with the manual. I have a s4 with dual clutch and as much as I enjoy the dual clutch, it's just not as engaging of an experience. I ordered mine in MT. Long live the MT.
+1. Glad to see BMW made an effort to improve the legacy transmission.
Appreciate 0