Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

11-22-2015, 11:45 PM   #1
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

[EDIT] PCD scheduled sometime in February!

I'm curious as to how others have worked this out? I've read that the tires don't handle well once the temperature drops below 45. I'm hoping to be able to drive it safely from SC to D.C.

I already have Winter tires / wheels but obviously I cannot bring it with me. I don't mind driving the car in the snow/cold weather but not without the tires.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
      11-23-2015, 12:37 AM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ul View Post
I'm curious as to how others have worked this out? I've read that the tires don't handle well once the temperature drops below 45. I'm hoping to be able to drive it safely from SC to D.C.
It all depends on the weather.
It' snot the ambient temps that you need to worry about. Nothing drastically bad happens to PSS's when temps drop below any particular temperature point. The stay round, and stick to the ground, though with a slightly reduced coefficient of friction. They also work really well in the wet. Just take it easy when you start driving first thing in the morning, until tires warm up.

I would be concerned about any ice or snow on the ground as your drive further north. DC weather can be unpredictable. PSS's are absolutely worthless over ice or snow.

Quote:
I already have Winter tires / wheels but obviously I cannot bring it with me.
If you are really worried, you can ship your winter wheels to SC, and hav them installed (or DIY) on the car before driving back north (stock wheels fit inside with rear seats folded down).

a
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 12:40 AM   #3
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
It all depends on the weather.
It' snot the ambient temps that you need to worry about. Nothing drastically bad happens to PSS's when temps drop below any particular temperature point. The stay round, and stick to the ground, though with a slightly reduced coefficient of friction. They also work really well in the wet. Just take it easy when you start driving first thing in the morning, until tires warm up.

I would be concerned about any ice or snow on the ground as your drive further north. DC weather can be unpredictable. PSS's are absolutely worthless over ice or snow.

Quote:
I already have Winter tires / wheels but obviously I cannot bring it with me.
If you are really worried, you can ship your winter wheels to SC, and hav them installed (or DIY) on the car before driving back north (stock wheels fit inside with rear seats folded down).

a
Thanks for the info and that's possible?
      11-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

You're driving back from the PDC and the car isn't broken in yet. So you'll be taking it easy anyway, right? As long as there is no snow or ice physically on the road it shouldn't be a problem....
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery
You're driving back from the PDC and the car isn't broken in yet. So you'll be taking it easy anyway, right? As long as there is no snow or ice physically on the road it shouldn't be a problem....
I plan to vary the rpm to properly do breakin the car on the first couple of miles!
      11-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

You should vary the RPM anyway (even over the full 1200 miles)...

While I was over at the Nurburgring a couple of months ago, I had dinner with one of the M Engineers. Since I was taking delivery on a new M4 in a month or so, I specifically asked him about the ongoing debate over "by the book" break-in or running it harder for a quicker break-in, ring seating, etc. He almost fell out of his chair telling me NOT to push it beyond the published guidelines regardless of the technique being used. He specifically stated that drivetrain components in particular will suffer from this alternate process (resulting in a noisy transmission and drivetrain). He was very adamant about this. He also alluded that only the "Americans" entertain this option.

I'm NOT looking to hijack this thread for a discussion on break-in techniques but I present the above info for what its worth. I just did a PCD two weeks ago and I drove by the book for the first 1200 miles...

Have fun in any case...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery
You should vary the RPM anyway (even over the full 1200 miles)...

While I was over at the Nurburgring a couple of months ago, I had dinner with one of the M Engineers. Since I was taking delivery on a new M4 in a month or so, I specifically asked him about the ongoing debate over "by the book" break-in or running it harder for a quicker break-in, ring seating, etc. He almost fell out of his chair telling me NOT to push it beyond the published guidelines regardless of the technique being used. He specifically stated that drivetrain components in particular will suffer from this alternate process (resulting in a noisy transmission and drivetrain). He was very adamant about this. He also alluded that only the "Americans" entertain this option.

I'm NOT looking to hijack this thread for a discussion on break-in techniques but I present the above info for what its worth. I just did a PCD two weeks ago and I drove by the book for the first 1200 miles...

Have fun in any case...
No problem. I never had any intentions on going beyond 5.5k rpm lol
      11-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Summer tires are fine for you to drive home on. Just don't expect them to handle amazing at the limit when it's that cold.

As far as snow and ice, I would be surprised if there is any snow by then.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose
Summer tires are fine for you to drive home on. Just don't expect them to handle amazing at the limit when it's that cold.

As far as snow and ice, I would be surprised if there is any snow by then.
It seems like my PCD date is going to be taken in February.
      11-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #10
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Worst case you camp out a few hours while they treat roads if there's any weather. Interstates don't stay snowy/icy for very long.

And, the tires will have significantly less grip at those temps when cold. They'll do a little better once you get some heat into them, but they'll still stay somewhat "greasy" in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 07:00 AM   #11
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

I've had zero issues driving to work the past 2-4 weeks in the morning when the temps have been low to mid 30s, with a few below 30 as well, on my PSSs. And I'm just driving like a normal person, no crazy loss of traction, no spins outs, not even TC kicking on (unless I floor it). The cold won't affect you at all if you drive easy/normal. As other have said, if you check the forecast and it's going to snow/ice when you'll be driving home you'll be in trouble. I would wait out the storm at that point if you can't get winter tires on.
Appreciate 0