BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Tailgate opening on its own

Twice now the tailgate on our '14 X5 35d has seemingly opened on its own, the first time a few weeks and the second just this morning.

With regard to the latest incident, the tailgate had last been opened and closed yesterday afternoon using the tailgate buttons. This morning, I ran out for a short errand and know for certain during that time and when I left the vehicle upon parking back in the garage the tailgate was closed. The key fob had been in pocket the whole time, unlocking and locking the vehicle via comfort access. About an hour later my wife went out to the garage and found the tailgate open.

Is anyone aware of an issue with the tailgate opening on its own and a possible software update, or something else, related to this?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Twice now the tailgate on our '14 X5 35d has seemingly opened on its own, the first time a few weeks and the second just this morning.

With regard to the latest incident, the tailgate had last been opened and closed yesterday afternoon using the tailgate buttons. This morning, I ran out for a short errand and know for certain during that time and when I left the vehicle upon parking back in the garage the tailgate was closed. The key fob had been in pocket the whole time, unlocking and locking the vehicle via comfort access. About an hour later my wife went out to the garage and found the tailgate open.

Is anyone aware of an issue with the tailgate opening on its own and a possible software update, or something else, related to this?
Obvious question

Are you 100% sure that the tailgate button could not have been pressed while the fob was in your pocket ?

This happened on occasions with my X3 and although it caught me by surprise it was clearly my fault with the fob in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

If it is, then get one of these bad boys and your set
Attached Images

11-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
Obvious question

Are you 100% sure that the tailgate button could not have been pressed while the fob was in your pocket ?

This happened on occasions with my X3 and although it caught me by surprise it was clearly my fault with the fob in my pocket.
After a bit of investigation and experimentation this is probably more likely than I originally thought. I have a key chain attached to the fob and I can see the possibility of that depressing the tailgate fob button. Still have doubts, for example, the button has to be depressed for about 2 seconds before the door will open, a feature specifically intended to prevent the tailgate opening due to a momentary button push. Still, I have to conclude this is a possible explanation.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

If you have the keys are in your front pocket and you sit down and the other keys on the chain are hitting the button.. it can happen.