United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Contemplating F15

Hello all - Thinking of an X5 to replace the wife's ML, so new to X5 (but not to BMW, e46 and F10 owner). Looks like they finally made the X5 female friendly with the buttery light steering so I am trying to convince the wife to consider the X5. The choices really are between the ML, X5 and the Cayenne and I am leaning towards the Diesel for any of those. I am a BMW driver so my choice is naturally X5, but also because I feel it is the most advanced in terms of technology and reliability. I am currently driving an X5 loaner and am really enjoying it. I have some questions:

1) What are your thoughts on the Diesel? Is there any loss of driving feel or lack of smoothness of the petrol engine?

2) LED lights: How much better are these than the Xenons? I am leaning toward this but want to hear from those that have experienced both

3) I am confused about Drivers Assistance and DA +. While these few features are cool, I find them to be an annoyance. HUD is virtually useless and its bothersome to me at night. I am thinking of skipping these two options and just getting the backup and surround camera ala carte. Thoughts?

4) Third row seats. We are a family of four and would like to get this for the one off times we have guest visting us. Any disadvantages to the third row?

What else should I be thinking of?

Thanks folks!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Welcome to the X5 club!
Please find below my thoughts in red...of course you will hear 180 degree different response from our friends here...so the bottom line is, you have to go with your instincts and what makes you and your wife happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Hello all - Thinking of an X5 to replace the wife's ML, so new to X5 Definitely a winner...I think the X5 is a much better car no comparison here...my wife tried both during our first 2014 X5 (F15) purchase and never had a hesitation...for the 2nd one, she didn't even want to think MB...straight to X5 (2016) (but not to BMW, e46 and F10 owner). Looks like they finally made the X5 female friendly with the buttery light steering so I am trying to convince the wife to consider the X5. The choices really are between the ML, X5 and the Cayenne and I am leaning towards the Diesel for any of those. I am a BMW driver so my choice is naturally X5, but also because I feel it is the most advanced in terms of technology and reliability. I am currently driving an X5 loaner and am really enjoying it. I have some questions:

1) What are your thoughts on the Diesel? Is there any loss of driving feel or lack of smoothness of the petrol engine? My 2014 F15 was a diesel. AMAZING. AMAZING.AMAZING. We had placed the order for 2nd diesel...but if you follow the threads here, you will notice the all 2106 diesel X5 have been put on hold and orders are halted in North America ...so we had no choice but going 35i...we couldn't wait as it is an indefinite wait... you might still be able to buy a 2015 diesel...which I would not recommend buying one in December 2015...even if you are leasing one. It is not clear why they have halted the production (maybe VW aftermath, or other rigorous tests underway, change of engine, etc...) whatever the reason might be, in my personal opinion, it is NOT a very good time to buy diesel...and that's any car I think!

2) LED lights: How much better are these than the Xenons? I am leaning toward this but want to hear from those that have experienced both Personal choice, some say it is different, some are indifferent (myself included)...I think the superiority is marginal...so I'd rather do something else with that money.

3) I am confused about Drivers Assistance and DA +. While these few features are cool, I find them to be an annoyance. HUD is virtually useless and its bothersome to me at night. I am thinking of skipping these two options and just getting the backup and surround camera ala carte. Thoughts? The only difference between DA and DA+ is the addition of Stop & Go cruise control...I decided not to take that option and stuck with DA only. Never had DA on my 2014, so can't comment, but as I like to stay in control of my car, the DA+ seemed to be a bit overrated for me

4) Third row seats. We are a family of four and would like to get this for the one off times we have guest visting us. Any disadvantages to the third row?
We went with 3rd row on the 2016 and did not have it on the 2014. I think it is a handy option if you are more than 4 on a given day (we are also 4). Only consideration is, if you are going M Sport Line, you can't order 2VP and 3rd row together. 2VP is the Dynamic Adaptive Suspension. So something to think about. Also if you are buying the vehicle, the 3rd row is a good resell feature.
pay for options that you really want and check your life style as you choose...some opinions come from folks that are Sport drivers, and others think family,...some both. My selection criteria was almost purely a luxury family car...you can find my thread with the options I chose if that interests you...
so hope that helps.

Thanks folks!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I would recommend reading this thread which covers a lot of the options from us owners and what we would get and not get the next time around.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1189584

Last edited by Kzang; 11-11-2015 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep

By the Way... This is not true for US markets.. maybe for Canada

Quote:
The only difference between DA and DA+ is the addition of Stop & Go cruise control..
Drivers Assistance Package: Rear view camera, Head-up Display
Drivers Assistance Plus: Active Driving Assistant, Active Blind Spot Detection, Surround View, Speed Limit Info. You can get ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant for an additional $1,200.00.
      11-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
By the Way... This is not true for US markets.. maybe for Canada
perhaps...but I do not see 2016 diesel being orderable on the US site, do you?...it is only 2015...but the 35i is 2016.
At the time I was ordering my 2016 diesel (approx 1 month or so ago...), you could also order diesel in the States...my 2014 buyer confirmed.
Can you order a 2016 at the US dealerships now?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Kzang
Major General
Rep

I have no idea what you are talking about.. I was referring to information regarding DA & DA+. nothing about diesels and 2015, 2016.
      11-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about.. I was referring to information regarding DA & DA+. nothing about diesels and 2015, 2016.

oh sorry. bit of confusion here on my part
Yes that correct...there's a bit of difference in the order and features of DA & DA+ I think.
Our DA is Active Driving Assistant, Active Blind Spot Detection, Surround View.
DA + adds the ACC Stop & Go.
Rear view camera, Head-up Display are part of Premium Package here.
Active Driving is a separate item.
So based on Kzang's note, I would go for
Drivers Assistance Package: Rear view camera, Head-up Display
Drivers Assistance Plus: Active Driving Assistant, Active Blind Spot Detection, Surround View, Speed Limit Info.
And Active Steering.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Be forewarned, the BMW blind spot detection is well behind other manufacturers in its functionality. Doesn't work below 20km (and you have to code your car to get it to 20km!) and the warning lights on the mirrors are really difficult to see during daytime driving. I bought all the required packages specifically to get this feature and it is terrible. My wifes Chevy Tahoe has it and it works beautifully, at any speed. Such a disappointment on the BMW.

Other than that, i freaking love my X5!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer
Be forewarned, the BMW blind spot detection is well behind other manufacturers in its functionality. Doesn't work below 20km (and you have to code your car to get it to 20km!) and the warning lights on the mirrors are really difficult to see during daytime driving. I bought all the required packages specifically to get this feature and it is terrible. My wifes Chevy Tahoe has it and it works beautifully, at any speed. Such a disappointment on the BMW.

Other than that, i freaking love my X5!
I have to agree with you on some of the points. I wish the lights were just slightly brighter too.

However compared to other mfg. I actually like the functionality better and I think it's smarter. If you noticed other cars the lights come on too excessively. For instance the Mercedes models both side turn on when the car is just behind them. BMW's come in when the car approaches and when you pass them like it is suppose too. I agree that this alert should also work during very low speeds though.
      11-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

I am simply petrified if my wife EVER has to fill up diesel... Heck, i am petrified to do it myself. I am not easily disgusted at all, but just a sight of a diesel pump is awful. At least around Philly area. And it not just a pump, all area around it.
      11-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #11
kanchis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335D 11'; F15 X5 35i 16'

I've had my X5 35i M Sport for 6 days and done about 200 miles so my experience is limited but here's my advice.
I came out of a 335d so my natural inclination was to go for the 35d. Test drove it and it felt really good...till I drove the 35i. The 35i felt more quicker and powerful than the diesel to me. Couple that with the diesel fiasco going on around WV I just didnt want to gamble on diesels this time around so I settled for the 35i as I'm keeping the car for and not leasing it. 50i was a monster but beyond what I wanted to spend so 35i was the happy middle ground.

I honestly debated about getting the Lighting package or not numerous times but I really wanted to have the auto high beam which comes only with the package and I had it in my 335d and didnt see my self living without it so I got it. For $1900 in my opinion its a little expensive. If I had the option to chose auto high beams on a la carte I would have skipped the package and just get that and use that money some where else.

GET Driver Assistance and Drive Assistance plus. Yes its expensive but its worth it. The HUD is not intrusive when your driving and its one of the best HUDs I've seen in modern day cars. Surround view is huge when it comes to parking and not curbing your wheels. I love it and use it a lot!!!

3rd row seat: Its not a suburban, you can not get in and out easily and its only meant for kids. So yes, for one off times its good to have and I got it too, but now I'm beginning to think was it really necessary for $1700. I suggest you go see one and really try it out. One thing to note is that if you have 2 car seats in the back your done in terms of getting to the 3rd row seat. You will have to remove one so that you can lift the seat forward.

Things I wish I got: Mocha Interior design package which costs $1950 + $950 for Multi contour seats. I had to stay within my budget so I skipped it. The Mocha interior design package is gorgeous. The contrast stitching gives the car a whole different look but it cost $2900!!!

Harmon Kardon surround sound: Yes get it as the base sound is garbage. Bang & Olufsen is really good, but I dont know if its worth $4500. I just went with HK.

Adaptive M suspension for $900. So many forum members have recommended this and I got it and you really can feel the difference. It handles more like a car than a SUV.

Rear shades for $250 if you have kids.

Here comes the weirdest part, the hardest thing to decide was to pick the color . I went back and forth between space grey and Carbon black prob 10 times before I settled for carbon blk.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Hello all - Thinking of an X5 to replace the wife's ML, so new to X5 (but not to BMW, e46 and F10 owner). Looks like they finally made the X5 female friendly with the buttery light steering so I am trying to convince the wife to consider the X5. The choices really are between the ML, X5 and the Cayenne and I am leaning towards the Diesel for any of those. I am a BMW driver so my choice is naturally X5, but also because I feel it is the most advanced in terms of technology and reliability. I am currently driving an X5 loaner and am really enjoying it. I have some questions:

1) What are your thoughts on the Diesel? Is there any loss of driving feel or lack of smoothness of the petrol engine?

2) LED lights: How much better are these than the Xenons? I am leaning toward this but want to hear from those that have experienced both

3) I am confused about Drivers Assistance and DA +. While these few features are cool, I find them to be an annoyance. HUD is virtually useless and its bothersome to me at night. I am thinking of skipping these two options and just getting the backup and surround camera ala carte. Thoughts?

Thanks folks!
      11-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #12
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanchis View Post
I've had my X5 35i M Sport for 6 days and done about 200 miles so my experience is limited but here's my advice.
I came out of a 335d so my natural inclination was to go for the 35d. Test drove it and it felt really good...till I drove the 35i. The 35i felt more quicker and powerful than the diesel to me. Couple that with the diesel fiasco going on around WV I just didnt want to gamble on diesels this time around so I settled for the 35i as I'm keeping the car for and not leasing it. 50i was a monster but beyond what I wanted to spend so 35i was the happy middle ground.

I honestly debated about getting the Lighting package or not numerous times but I really wanted to have the auto high beam which comes only with the package and I had it in my 335d and didnt see my self living without it so I got it. For $1900 in my opinion its a little expensive. If I had the option to chose auto high beams on a la carte I would have skipped the package and just get that and use that money some where else.

GET Driver Assistance and Drive Assistance plus. Yes its expensive but its worth it. The HUD is not intrusive when your driving and its one of the best HUDs I've seen in modern day cars. Surround view is huge when it comes to parking and not curbing your wheels. I love it and use it a lot!!!

3rd row seat: Its not a suburban, you can not get in and out easily and its only meant for kids. So yes, for one off times its good to have and I got it too, but now I'm beginning to think was it really necessary for $1700. I suggest you go see one and really try it out. One thing to note is that if you have 2 car seats in the back your done in terms of getting to the 3rd row seat. You will have to remove one so that you can lift the seat forward.

Things I wish I got: Mocha Interior design package which costs $1950 + $950 for Multi contour seats. I had to stay within my budget so I skipped it. The Mocha interior design package is gorgeous. The contrast stitching gives the car a whole different look but it cost $2900!!!

Harmon Kardon surround sound: Yes get it as the base sound is garbage. Bang & Olufsen is really good, but I dont know if its worth $4500. I just went with HK.

Adaptive M suspension for $900. So many forum members have recommended this and I got it and you really can feel the difference. It handles more like a car than a SUV.

Here comes the weirdest part, the hardest thing to decide was to pick the color . I went back and forth between space grey and Carbon black prob 10 times before I settled for carbon blk.

Hope this helps.
How come I feel like I wrote this?

Last edited by Shaw; 11-12-2015 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #13
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I did not purchase any driver aids. I AM the driver aid! I too think HUD is redundant info, but obviously it does put it in a location where you don't have to take your eyes off the road. I did purchase rear camera, but not surround view. I think surround view is nice, I just don't need it. The ultrasonic sensors that come standard give a pretty good audible and graphical visual picture of obstacles.

FYI, If you don't get any driver assistance packages, you don't get the full lcd displays that are on the bottom of the instrument cluster. I didn't know this when I purchased or I would have added whatever package it took to get the full lcd display along the bottom for more symmetry. Mine is only on one side.

Also, I would have gotten the msport adjustable suspension(if your buying an msport), but when I built mine it did not come up as an option and the dealer did not make me aware it was available. For $900 it's a no-brainer. Kinda pisses me off, that the dealer didn't offer or seemed like they weren't even aware of it.

And, I didn't get the led headlights, because I thought $1900 seemed excessive, when the HID's are already awesome to begin with.
      11-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #14
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
I did not purchase any driver aids. I AM the driver aid! I too think HUD is redundant info, but obviously it does put it in a location where you don't have to take your eyes off the road. I did purchase rear camera, but not surround view. I think surround view is nice, I just don't need it. The ultrasonic sensors that come standard give a pretty good audible and graphical visual picture of obstacles.

FYI, If you don't get any driver assistance packages, you don't get the full lcd displays that are on the bottom of the instrument cluster. I didn't know this when I purchased or I would have added whatever package it took to get the full lcd display along the bottom for more symmetry. Mine is only on one side.

Also, I would have gotten the msport adjustable suspension(if your buying an msport), but when I built mine it did not come up as an option and the dealer did not make me aware it was available. For $900 it's a no-brainer. Kinda pisses me off, that the dealer didn't offer or seemed like they weren't even aware of it.

And, I didn't get the led headlights, because I thought $1900 seemed excessive, when the HID's are already awesome to begin with.
That how I feel about the aids, plus my wife wont even know what those are doing
Tell me more about the display. Are you saying that the entire bottom row is not used, and only one corner? What sorts of info are you missing?
This is a family car driven by my wife, so this will be a luxury line X5, no M Sport
As much as I want the LEDs and the Auto highbeams, I agree the Xenons on BMW are excellent, so really need to be convinced of the LEDs. Happy to hear other's thoughts
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #15
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Nobody's perfect and that's why we have car accidents... The Active Driving Assistant which brakes for you initially if you get too close to the car in front of you saved me a few times.
      11-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #16
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is a family car driven by my wife, so this will be a luxury line X5, no M Sport
As much as I want the LEDs and the Auto highbeams, I agree the Xenons on BMW are excellent, so really need to be convinced of the LEDs. Happy to hear other's thoughts
If it is Luxury line, then go for 2VM (Comfort Adaptive Suspension) which supposedly will give more comfort as it add Dynamic Damper Control + Rear Air Axle Suspension...this is important is you are getting 3rd row, as it will adjust itself based on the load...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #17
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanchis View Post

Hope this helps.
I will test drive both. With the kind of in town driving my wife does, the mpg is horrible so Diesel will be a huge improvement.

I plan on getting surround view regardless of Driver Assistance + or not. HUD actually bothered me at night

Will get the 3rd row for sure now. This is exactly what I need it for

HK system is a must too
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #18
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Welcome to the X5 club!
Please find below my thoughts in red...of course you will hear 180 degree different response from our friends here...so the bottom line is, you have to go with your instincts and what makes you and your wife happy.
Thank you. But there is a huge difference in DA and DA+ in the US. I cant believe that back up camera is actually an option in this BMW!!!

All I really want is backup and surround cameras
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #19
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
So - Here's where i am on the build (I think). Its the wife's car which I may drive on the weekends, so here goes:

2016 X5d
Silver/Black Dakota/Fine line pure wood
Luxury Line
Premium
Lighting
Cold Weather
3rd row
Ceramic Controls
HK
Rearview Camera
Surround View

Still really unsure about the Driver Assistance and the Plus packages. I have had X5 loaners with them for extended periods and find the HUD, constant flashing of signs in mirrors, buzzing of steering, to be distracting. I am more of a purist and enjoy good old fashioned alert driving. But then again, since we keep cars for a long time, I feel its a good idea to have them anyway. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #20
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So - Here's where i am on the build (I think). Its the wife's car which I may drive on the weekends, so here goes:

2016 X5d
Silver/Black Dakota/Fine line pure wood
Luxury Line
Premium
Lighting
Cold Weather
3rd row
Ceramic Controls
HK
Rearview Camera
Surround View

Still really unsure about the Driver Assistance and the Plus packages. I have had X5 loaners with them for extended periods and find the HUD, constant flashing of signs in mirrors, buzzing of steering, to be distracting. I am more of a purist and enjoy good old fashioned alert driving. But then again, since we keep cars for a long time, I feel its a good idea to have them anyway. Thoughts?
I would go with Mocha Dakota instead of black...makes it more elegant and different...Mocha has a grey undertone and goes extremely well with silver and grey. Also it is dark enough so you wouldn't have to worry about stains or dirt.
You can always disable the HUD. I myself do not use it all the time, but I find it useful at some points (night driving and trips)...it is a very good option to have...
Also always think resell value...some folks certainly want it...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #21
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
I would go with Mocha Dakota instead of black...makes it more elegant and different...Mocha has a grey undertone and goes extremely well with silver and grey. Also it is dark enough so you wouldn't have to worry about stains or dirt.
You can always disable the HUD. I myself do not use it all the time, but I find it useful at some points (night driving and trips)...it is a very good option to have...
Also always think resell value...some folks certainly want it...
If it were my car, I'd get Mocha no doubt, but wife does not like it. I hear you on the resale, but we tend to keep our cars 8 years or so, so i am not too worried about that.
Appreciate 0