Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

11-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
Lexor1704
Bimmer Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tanzanite M3

Just Ordered my M3, some questions on options

Hi all

The time has come to replace my beloved E90 335xi with the car I have always wanted, an M3. Placed the order yesterday for a Tanzanite blue with full black leather, 19s, DCT, adaptive suspension, executive pkg and lighting pkg. Going to do an PCD next year with it.

My question is I have seen some interiors with color contrast stitching and I have my SA checking on it but has anyone gotten that and if so how much and how long did it increase the order time?

Also it seems some cars have a higher speed limiter if they get the M drivers option but that is not something you see on the website or general order form, is that part of another pkg and if so which one?

Thx for the input and look forward to some guidance
      11-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Congrats!!

I think you would need to do an individual interior order in order to get contrasting stitching. Unless you have lots of money to burn you may be shocked by the price tag for a little thread.

As for the higher speed limiter; I have only heard of BMW offering that to people in Europe who have taken their performance drivers ed classes. I sincerely doubt they would offer that here in the US. I have seen some threads in the coding section where folks have been able to reset the speed governer in the DME but that must be done within 10 hours of first operation. Not sure there is enough time for that if you take delivery stateside.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Lexor1704
Bimmer Fanatic
Rep

Well it is a BMW why would the thread be cheap

Probably just leave the thread out and save the money for the winter tires I will need here in WI. Thanks for the info.
      11-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
Deja_Vu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
I have seen some threads in the coding section where folks have been able to reset the speed governer in the DME but that must be done within 10 hours of first operation. Not sure there is enough time for that if you take delivery stateside.
No, it must be done within the first 10 hours of operation. When the car is off the clock doesn't keep ticking.

Also, multiple people have been reporting that even after changing VMAX they're still being limited. I changed mine on ED and didn't test due to sticking with the break-in "rules." I'll test after break-in and finding a proper spot.

My ED thread
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja_Vu View Post
No, it must be done within the first 10 hours of operation. When the car is off the clock doesn't keep ticking.

Also, multiple people have been reporting that even after changing VMAX they're still being limited. I changed mine on ED and didn't test due to sticking with the break-in "rules." I'll test after break-in and finding a proper spot.
Like I said, I saw some threads. I personally have no desire to remove my limiter. No place near me that is remotely safe enough to get up that fast.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
Deja_Vu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Like I said, I saw some threads. I personally have no desire to remove my limiter. No place near me that is remotely safe enough to get up that fast.
http://pacificraceways.com/road-course/information/

My ED thread
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
dalto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexor1704 View Post
My question is I have seen some interiors with color contrast stitching and I have my SA checking on it but has anyone gotten that and if so how much and how long did it increase the order time?
I looked into this as well. I believe it is $2300 on top of the cost for full leather. As good as it looked I couldn't bring myself to add the cost and additional production time.

Quote:
Also it seems some cars have a higher speed limiter if they get the M drivers option but that is not something you see on the website or general order form, is that part of another pkg and if so which one?
Are you talking about the non-M cars? In this case it is tied to the tires, put the appropriate tires on the car from the factory and you get a higher speed limiter.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #8
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja_Vu View Post
Yep. But I am not a track person and I am not sure you would be able to get up to 155+ on that track anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
Are you talking about the non-M cars? In this case it is tied to the tires, put the appropriate tires on the car from the factory and you get a higher speed limiter.
He wants to eliminate the 155mph limiter that all BMW's have. The "lesser" cars with lower speed tires were limited to something like 135mph but all M's are limited at 155mph regardless of tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #10
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Nope, the Driver's Package is not available for NA cars.

I've watched carefully all the coding forums regarding removing the limiter via coding and there is not ONE bit of anecdotal evidence that shows anyone has been successful at this. Not ONE person has said they've done the coding, tested it and the limit has been removed. A couple have said they have changed VMAX, that it did stick, but that it still was limited (as stated above), and a couple more have said that they were unable to test it. To me, if nobody has been successfully been able to offer proof that says alot.

Additionally, what isn't talked about is this(and it's the same thing I think about with my coded LED's): Assuming you CAN remove the limiter through coding and people have successfully proven this. What happens when you take your car in for service and your software is updated? Some updates are mandated, and your coding will be lost on any module that has been updated. I think about this wondering if my anti-dazzle Euro Led's will be gone with the next software update, with no way to code them back. BMW is working their hardest to thwart the coding community, and there is a good number of coders that believe our days are limited......

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #11
Lexor1704
Bimmer Fanatic
Rep

$2300 for some thread is nuts and definitely not worth it.

In reference to the speed limiter I have seen videos posted showing different folks, one in particular with a Sakhir Orange car and a dog in the back where he has done extended reviews and in several of them he talks about his car hitting 180 on the speedo and he lives in the US. I think somehow some cars arriving in the US were not bound by the 155 limit but instead had the higher Euro limiter of 280km. In any event it does not appear there is any way to do it here.

Thanks again for all the input and now it is just a waiting game and picking out mods
      11-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #12
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
$2300 for some thread is nuts and definitely not worth it.

In reference to the speed limiter I have seen videos posted showing different folks, one in particular with a Sakhir Orange car and a dog in the back where he has done extended reviews and in several of them he talks about his car hitting 180 on the speedo and he lives in the US. I think somehow some cars arriving in the US were not bound by the 155 limit but instead had the higher Euro limiter of 280km. In any event it does not appear there is any way to do it here.

Thanks again for all the input and now it is just a waiting game and picking out mods
You're referring to Nick Murray's review, specifically at the 7:35 mark:

I cannot explain that....it defies logic, as there are speed limiters on our cars....but for whatever reason, his did not seem to have one. The only guess I can venture is that maybe his was an earlier build and they didn't include it on his for some reason? He picked up his car in August of 2014, I believe?

While I haven't pushed mine to this extent (only did about 145+ in Germany) as I don't have a runway at my disposal, I would be shocked if I didn't hit a limiter.

Maybe M3's have limiters and M4's don't....2 less doors=faster top speed

But as of now i've yet to see someone code this limiter out.....maybe I just need to live the charmed life of Nick

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0